Solved

Suggested wattage for Crossfire

Okay so here we go again. (Question) How many watts should my next PSU be two have 2 of these running in Crossfire mode. (Link Below)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

Computer Specs are as follows:
AMD FX 8120
16GB AMD Performance Ram
Asus Crosshair V Formula Motherboard
60GB Samsung SSD
2x 500GB (green) 5200RPM HDD
HP DVD1270 DVD Multi Recorder
3x 200mm Red LED Fans
2x 140mm Red LED Fans
2x LOGISYS 12" 18LED RED Sunstick
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm (CPU Cooler)
PowerColor AX7850 2GB (Above mentioned GPU)

Right now all of this runs on my Seasonic 650W (Link Below)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

So I would like to stick with Seasonic even though there is a premium price.
What wattage should I get? I am going to get same certification as before. Just need to know wattage. I may go to Platinum.

Thanks for your time!


EDIT: I think I would be golden with this PSU. Let me know if I am right. (Link Below)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about suggested wattage crossfire
  1. Best answer
    For a system using two AMD reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 39 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Some of the non-reference design Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards require at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors for each graphics card so the power supply should have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

    Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

    The Seasonic X-Series X-650 (SS-650KM3), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 54 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode.
  2. simple answer- yes
  3. Instead of getting two 7850's get one 7950 or GTX 670. You will get better performence in most games for the price. Just something to consider.
  4. dauntlessds said:
    Okay so here we go again. (Question) How many watts should my next PSU be two have 2 of these running in Crossfire mode. (Link Below)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131473

    Computer Specs are as follows:
    AMD FX 8120
    16GB AMD Performance Ram
    Asus Crosshair V Formula Motherboard
    60GB Samsung SSD
    2x 500GB (green) 5200RPM HDD
    HP DVD1270 DVD Multi Recorder
    3x 200mm Red LED Fans
    2x 140mm Red LED Fans
    2x LOGISYS 12" 18LED RED Sunstick
    ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm (CPU Cooler)
    PowerColor AX7850 2GB (Above mentioned GPU)

    Right now all of this runs on my Seasonic 650W (Link Below)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

    So I would like to stick with Seasonic even though there is a premium price.
    What wattage should I get? I am going to get same certification as before. Just need to know wattage. I may go to Platinum.

    Thanks for your time!


    EDIT: I think I would be golden with this PSU. Let me know if I am right. (Link Below)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111


    I agree - stick with Seasonic -keep in mind you need only
    a quality 575w unit (and there's headroom built in)you didn't link a bdget $ amount.
    ko linked you an outstanding unit @ $146, there's this for $96:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151106

    or this @ $141: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151121 - I think your best bet

    and this (overkill) price/value @$150: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102
    or $140: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

    Of all those I like the 660 platinum the best for your system

    With all that said - you already own the x-650 which is more than sufficient.
    I wouldn't upgrade at all in your situation.
  5. dathtom said:
    Instead of getting two 7850's get one 7950 or GTX 670. You will get better performence in most games for the price. Just something to consider.


    2x 7850 can outperform even a GTX680

    The main disadvantages of 2x 7850 over a single powerful card is:

    -heat
    -power
    -energy bills

    Generally 750w(60-ish amps) is what's reccomended for 2-way CF/SLI setups, but I'd say a 600w or even 550 is enough in this case(at least 45A)
  6. Hi! sorry to jump on this im terrible with psu's, anyway Im thinking of buying another asus 7850 oc twin frozer for crossfire.

    I have a XFX 550wPRO core edition psu, it has 44A on the rail, do u think it will do the job?? or should I buy a new one?

    Cheers!
  7. mattck said:
    Hi! sorry to jump on this im terrible with psu's, anyway Im thinking of buying another asus 7850 oc twin frozer for crossfire.

    I have a XFX 550wPRO core edition psu, it has 44A on the rail, do u think it will do the job?? or should I buy a new one?

    Cheers!



    Hi - You need to open your own thread
  8. ok... no probs, just thought id jump on it seen as we're talking about (nearly) the same type of cards.
  9. Best answer selected by dauntlessds.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Crossfire Components Product