Your question

Budget PC Compatibility?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Compatibility
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2012 9:27:59 AM

G'day, I am looking to build a budget PC ~$350-$450 for everyday use (microsoft office, media editing, surfing the web, gaming), leaning on the gaming side. I would like to know if this system is compatible/incompatible.

Case: Aywun A1-923 Mid-Tower Case w/ 500w power supply (sale)
CPU: Intel Pentium G630
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M-LX
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT610 Silent

Note: I am based in Australia, Victoria to be exact. So most of these parts are found locally.

I would gladly appreciate it if you have other suggestions on cheaper-better bits and pieces.

More about : budget compatibility

September 28, 2012 9:44:22 AM

Hey, this is what I've had in mind for my budget build. All prices are from PC Case Gear and most are rounded up.

CPU: Intel Celeron G540 - $50
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V - $60
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 Something - $20
GPU: Radeon HD 6670 - $70
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 500Gb - $70
CASE: CM Elite 341 /w 500w PSU - $70

TOTAL = $440

Hope this helped a bit!

September 28, 2012 10:48:28 AM

I know it's difficult, if finances are tight, but cases with built-in power supplies, are almost universally total c**p. The power supplies tend to be the cheapest, that will last 'til they're out of warranty, when they're highly likely to fail, destroying half your system with it. There are plenty of reasonable, budget ATX cases, around, and decent budget PSU's, it doesn't have to cost THAT much more.
I appreciate your desire to go with an Intel route, but it leaves you with only a GT610 graphics card, that's really weak, for gaming. An alternative could be an AMD Llano, which have decent built-in graphics, for light gaming, and add a good graphics card, later, when finances allow.
Related resources
September 29, 2012 5:23:28 AM

Yeah I've just realized that the PSU was built-in. I misunderstood it for a "choose one option". I was thinking of following the AMD pathway, but I've got the feeling Intel is better for my capability and knowledge on computer building since I understand Intel than AMD. So I'd rather stick with Intel.

Anyway, I've also had an option of changing the GPU for a Radeon HD 6000 series. But that leaves me with the case and PSU, which shouldn't be hard to find.

Thanks for your help :) 
September 29, 2012 7:36:58 AM

For case, something like a Coolermaster Elite 430 is a decent budget case. Ventilation is adequate for what you require, at the moment, and there's plenty of scope to upgrade. Again, to allow scope to upgrade, get 500w power supply. PC Power & Cooling's Silencer MKlll is excellent choice. Corsair Builder series also OK. Avoid cheap and nasty PSU's.
Try to get an up to date motherboard, if you can afford it. An ASRock Z75 would, again, give plenty of scope for expansion.
The Radeon 6xxx series of graphics cards weren't bad, especially 6850 and 6870. You can always get lower number. It won't have awesome power, but you could upgrade later.
Stick with your original CPU choice. Will give reasonable performance, and, provided you've got a z75 or z77 mobo, you could upgrade all the way to i5-3570K.
September 30, 2012 1:54:01 AM

At the moment with my current finances, I can push the limit to the $500s. I can/might upgrade to a z77 mobo, since they don't supply z75 down here...

But what if I changed my;
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 431 w/ 500w PSU (might switch to a 430 if I can find a decent-cheap PSU)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H-MVP

and what GPU would you prefer to replace the GT610?
-Sapphire Radeon HD6670 2GB
-ASUS Radeon HD6670 DirectCU 1GB Silent

Not looking to run on extremely high graphics on games etc. I don't mind a little sacrifice, as long as I can run current games smoothly on an average setting and have the ability to do everyday things. I still have the option to upgrade :) 
September 30, 2012 8:06:19 AM

What's your monitor resolution? Antec Basiq aren't bad budget PSU's, if available. PC Power & Cooling Silencer series, also quite good.
September 30, 2012 12:12:43 PM

Current screen resolution is 1680x1050, I was thinking of getting the Antec VP Series 450W PSU. If it doesn't seem to match the current CPU wattage needs, I'll go for the 550W.
September 30, 2012 1:23:27 PM

With HD6670 most games are just about playable on medium. The lowest powered card, which can be considered to give reasonable performance @ 1680x1050, would be HD7750. Even then, it's worth the bit extra, for HD7770. 450w would be adequate, but 500w would be more "comfortable"
October 1, 2012 1:26:37 AM

I was looking around for a 6770, but they seem to have no stock at all what so ever in local Australian stores. Don't want to bother spending on shipping. But whilst looking around, I spotted the 7770, but I might just go with the 7750 as it seems to be in my budget range.

I'm guessing I'll have to go for the +500w PSU :) 

Cheers for the help mate
October 1, 2012 11:13:08 AM

You'd be fine with 450w, with either of those cards. The only slight advantage with going to 500w, is that it gives you a bit more scope, to add things, or upgrade, but the tendancy, these days, is for more efficient components, so it's unlikely to be a real issue.
October 2, 2012 12:47:30 AM

Exactly, I'd rather get the VP 550W PSU because I'm looking to upgrade later in the future. I don't mind how 'green' my system has to be, but I'd love to have a mix of efficiency and performance since my current computer is turned on all day.
!