Can I bridge 1 LAN and 2 WAN computers and still access internet?

basic_works

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I have a wireless OS X 10.7.1 Mac a Windows 7 laptop, also wireless and one Windows 7 desktop, also wireless but close enough to my wireless modem that it can be hard lined in. If I use the "bridging" option in the modem settings, which I assume requires I enter the Mac address all devices:
1. do I need to include my network printer?
2. can I still access the internet from all computers?
3. if I can access the internet, do I need to do so with everything going thru one computer or can they all connect independently?

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mike RL
basic_works@hotmail.com

Solution
So you have 1 internet connection and 1 router and 3 computers that all all connect wireless to the router?
I am not sure what you are trying to Bridge together.

As far as your video choppy I think it is getting choppy because you are streaming Wifi to Wifi, it cuts your bandwidth in half. I would wire your desktop to the router and see if that helps.

basic_works

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Addendum:

Both Windows 7 laptop and desktop have a USB analog tuner hooked up to them to record TV. The video gets choppy from time to time, using one machine to watch files from the other. As well, apparently, Windows 7 is infamous for dropping network connections. It happens to us on a regular basis. We had to abandon the idea of "HOMEGROUP" as it never was reliable. Another thing is that my Mac can see both Win 7 machines but can only access one while neither can even see my Mac, thus the reason for the bridging idea.

Thanks

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
So you have 1 internet connection and 1 router and 3 computers that all all connect wireless to the router?
I am not sure what you are trying to Bridge together.

As far as your video choppy I think it is getting choppy because you are streaming Wifi to Wifi, it cuts your bandwidth in half. I would wire your desktop to the router and see if that helps.

Solution

basic_works

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

Thanks for the reply.

I have a wireless modem. My VoIP phone is hard-lined into it. I have a Laptop and an all-in-one, both running Windows 7, and I have a Mac, running OS X 10.7.1. I also have a wireless network printer.

With the blessing of my ISP's tech support, I attempted to use the "bridging" option from my modem's wireless settings but, as it turned out, t'was a bad idea. I'm guessing this option is to bridge networks, not computers.

Unless I've been truly mislead, LAN means it's connected with network cable and WAN is done with a wireless card. Correct? Did I misunderstand the differences? I've also been told by people who seem to be "in-the-know" that one cannot network a LAN PC with a WAN PC. Is this also correct?

I'm not sure I understand the issue with streaming between 2 wireless PC's. I've had no problem watching video files (TV show) from the All-In-One PC on my iMac (late 2006 17"). Should I be turning off the Streaming options on both Windows 7 machines? Though, not always, I can see both PCs from my Mac, the reverse has not been true, however.

On another, possibly related issue, my 6 month old laptop (17" Acer) 's Window media center seems to be developing some odd issues. It crashes the PC. It keeps making this peculiar buzzing sound as it freezes up, sometimes longer than others, and at times, when I select an option, the entire quietly stalls.

I am so .. ooh confused.

I hope I clarified myself and posed my questions with clarity. I look forward to hear from you again and that you SOO00oo kindly for your help.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Correct, bridge is just for networks.

LAN (Local Area Network) is all of your local device on your network. Wired and wireless, they are all connected together and part of a LAN. If they can't see each other there maybe a setting in your wireless modem that is separating the two (for security purposes).
WAN (Wide Area Network), Is basically the internet. If you do have a WAN port (It will be labeled as such) you should not plug a computer in to it, it is for internet only.

How is your network setup? Do you have two devices modem that plugs in to a wireless router or is it all built in to one device?

For some reason I thought your iMac was wired. It is still possible it is a wireless problem, like maybe your laptop doesn't have as good of a connection as your iMac and AIOPC. But it could also be many other things as well. I would still try to hard wire your desktop, if you have an empty port on your router, just to see if it fixes the problem or not.
Me personally I always try to avoid wireless to wireless connections.

Hmm, that is interesting,
Does it do this all of the time or it is just sometimes?
Do you know if the buzzing sound it coming from the speakers or in the computer?
Does it only happen in media center?

Google around a bit, it is likely someone else is having the same problems, and maybe have found a solution.

No problem glad to help

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

haha yeah I gave up on Homegroup as well. I just use the standard files sharing.

Sadly I don't have much experience with mac, So i probably can't help you there.
My guess would be that the Mac isn't sharing anything or sharing a different way then what the windows machines a looking for. Like using bonjour or something. You could try to install itunes on one of the window box and see if it can see the mac in itunes.
I would also look around and see if there is a file sharing option. As you probably know, In windows your just right click a folder and say share, it may be the same or similar with a mac

Try also googling file sharing between mac and windows.

basic_works

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I have a router with wireless capability hooked to my ISP's wireless modem. Its sole purpose is for my Vonage VoIP phone. The wireless aspect of it is off and there is absolutely nothing plugged into it.

I did finally figure out that I had to manually create credentials for all both computers to access the one. I now have no problems seeing both PCs from my Mac and both PCs can see each other. Neither can se me however. Access is not limited to read only or for specific folders. It's unrestricted access to all folders to read and write, move or delete any file or folder. I have tested this intensely.

As far as the loud "sick raven" buzzing sound, it chirps here and there and all freezes during that short time but before too long, it'll go on for a few seconds before the laptop crashes. Something I did notice last night was this noise. It's similar, but quieter and softer, to the sound your old TV get when there's too much white on the screen. This sound is coming from the TV speakers (HDMI hook up with laptop display off) and it does only occur with WMC.

I have searched the web, googling, yahoo-ing, ask-ing, binging, you name the search engine and I used it, and found many instances of similar and identical issues, and all I've succeed in doing is making things worse. Luckily for me, I managed to fix my way back out but the original issues remain.

Thank for the help thus far.

basic_works

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010

What I did was turn off the media streaming option in the:

network and sharing centre => choose homegroup and sharing options => choose advanced sharing settings => ~

Though I left the homegroup on all PCs, after I set up credentials for network access, I still had to create a homegroup access password to set up and change sharing options.

basic_works

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
After fussing around for too long and, no doubt, messed a few settings up, I decided to restore the laptop to factory settings, did the 3000 update thing and then set up to share the folder I wanted to.

I made ensure that my streaming option was off in the NETWORK And Sharing Options page, though the AIO (All-In-One) desktop's has been turned back on somehow.

I made sure to leave HomeGroup on both Win7 PCs and set-up credentials for the Mac and the AIO (username and password) on the laptop, and some for the Mac and laptop on the AIO. Even though a password is required, the "require password" option from the Network and Sharing Option had to be off in order to access or be accessed. I'm not sure how that works but.. it does. I still had to enter a username and password (checked the box to remember them) on both machine to access each other.

I can see load and eject both PCs with my Mac but, though they can see me on their network, neither PCs can access my shared folder(s). All I need to do now is access the network laser printer and an inkjet one shared by the AIO. I can see it but I can't add it to my list. As far as I know, I have the required drivers, but then again, something's obviously missing.

I found that setting up credentials made it a ton easier for one PC to access another. Who ever came up with HomeGroup.. I don't think much of it. If the network has to be diagnosed before the HomeGroup, doesn't that imply the HomeGroup really isn't required?

Anyways... these are my ramblings for the day.

Regards and many thanks for your assistance.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Are you trying to install the printer on your man or laptop. I know on windows, if the printer is set up to be shared, you should be able to see the printer when you look at the AIO's shared folders from the laptop, and just right click the printer and say connect.