Microsoft Outlook Icon on Desktop

September 6, 2005 4:32:10 PM

For some reason, an Microsoft Outlook icon has appeared on my Desktop.

I don't want it there because I don't use it. (I use Outlook Express 6.0).
But I hesitate to delete it as it doesn't appear to be a shortcut, but the
program itself.

How can I move this to where it belongs, i.e. somewhere in Program Files?

Or can I remove the icon without removing the program?

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

In news:%23l4ZwsosFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Trevor L. <tandcl@homemail.com.au> had this to say:

> For some reason, an Microsoft Outlook icon has appeared on my Desktop.
>
> I don't want it there because I don't use it. (I use Outlook Express
> 6.0). But I hesitate to delete it as it doesn't appear to be a
> shortcut, but the program itself.
>
> How can I move this to where it belongs, i.e. somewhere in Program
> Files?
> Or can I remove the icon without removing the program?

Try this link:

http://www.sparnaaij.net/howto/removeoutlookicon.htm

Just so you know editing the registry isn't the brightest thing to do though
many of us do it all the time. However, you have been warned. For a better
warning:
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/regedit_warn.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:25:32 PM

Thanks, Galen

I have been brave enough to edit the Reistry before, so I gave this a go.

I removed the key , but no difference.

Perhaps I have to restart ?

--

Galen wrote:
> In news:%23l4ZwsosFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Trevor L. <tandcl@homemail.com.au> had this to say:

>> For some reason, an Microsoft Outlook icon has appeared on my
>> Desktop. I don't want it there because I don't use it. (I use Outlook
>> Express
>> 6.0). But I hesitate to delete it as it doesn't appear to be a
>> shortcut, but the program itself.
>>
>> How can I move this to where it belongs, i.e. somewhere in Program
>> Files?
>> Or can I remove the icon without removing the program?
>
> Try this link:
>
> http://www.sparnaaij.net/howto/removeoutlookicon.htm
>
> Just so you know editing the registry isn't the brightest thing to do
> though many of us do it all the time. However, you have been warned.
> For a better warning:
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/regedit_warn.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
> all."
> Sherlock Holmes
September 6, 2005 9:25:33 PM

Trevor,

Check under HKEY_CURRENT_USER (per-user) as well.

OL: How to Remove the Outlook Icon from Your Desktop:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321777

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Thanks, Galen
>
> I have been brave enough to edit the Reistry before, so I gave this a go.
>
> I removed the key , but no difference.
>
> Perhaps I have to restart ?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Trevor L.
> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>
> Galen wrote:
>> In news:%23l4ZwsosFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Trevor L. <tandcl@homemail.com.au> had this to say:

>>> For some reason, an Microsoft Outlook icon has appeared on my
>>> Desktop. I don't want it there because I don't use it. (I use Outlook
>>> Express
>>> 6.0). But I hesitate to delete it as it doesn't appear to be a
>>> shortcut, but the program itself.
>>>
>>> How can I move this to where it belongs, i.e. somewhere in Program
>>> Files?
>>> Or can I remove the icon without removing the program?
>>
>> Try this link:
>>
>> http://www.sparnaaij.net/howto/removeoutlookicon.htm
>>
>> Just so you know editing the registry isn't the brightest thing to do
>> though many of us do it all the time. However, you have been warned.
>> For a better warning:
>> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/regedit_warn.html
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
>> all."
>> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 9:25:34 PM

You have tried just deleting the icon... haven't you?

Andy
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:42:23 AM

"Andrew Bailey" <andy.j.bailey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> You have tried just deleting the icon... haven't you?

You cannot simply delete the Outlook Icon from the Desktop by right click
and selecting delete when Outlook has created the Icon. It is a Name Space
Icon which require editing the registry.

--
William
Anonymous

No I didn't try that. I was warned not to

--

Andrew Bailey wrote:
> You have tried just deleting the icon... haven't you?
>
> Andy
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:12:46 PM

Thanks, Ramesh

The KB asks you to refresh - that worked.

--

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Trevor,
>
> Check under HKEY_CURRENT_USER (per-user) as well.
>
> OL: How to Remove the Outlook Icon from Your Desktop:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321777
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Trevor L." <tandcl@homemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Galen
>>
>> I have been brave enough to edit the Reistry before, so I gave this
>> a go. I removed the key , but no difference.
>>
>> Perhaps I have to restart ?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Trevor L.
>> Website: http://tandcl.homemail.com.au
>>
>> Galen wrote:
>>> In news:%23l4ZwsosFHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>>> Trevor L. <tandcl@homemail.com.au> had this to say:
>>>
>>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

>>> Try this link:
>>>
>>> http://www.sparnaaij.net/howto/removeoutlookicon.htm
>>>
>>> Just so you know editing the registry isn't the brightest thing to
>>> do though many of us do it all the time. However, you have been
>>> warned. For a better warning:
>>> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/regedit_warn.html
>>>
>>> Galen
>>> --
>>>
>>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual
>>> after all."
>>> Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:12:47 PM