Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A10-5800k build: first time builder needs advice

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 11, 2013 7:51:31 AM

First of all, I have been lurking these forums for some time now. I decided to join and seek your advice, cause you are the main source to convince me to attempt my first build. So... here I am.

I have been a big fan of AMD, since my first AMD product years ago (K6-2?). They give guys like me (everything on a budget), a chance to enjoy gaming and the internet without breaking our bank. So, I dont think it will be a surprise that I decided to do my first build around AMD. Also, integrated graphics has interested me for a long time. The potential of its mobility/compactness plus gaming/rendering power is great.

The build

CPU A10-5800k
MB MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X
Mem 4x 4GB G.SKILL Sniper Series 1866, Cas 9 , 1.5v
PSU Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Case ZALMAN Z5 Plus

I included Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 1.75g Premium Ceramic and Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET). I know I dont really need the cleaners, but I plan on this being an upgradable machine for a few years and building lower budget versions of this(for the kids). The price also includes an OEM version of Win 7 64bit.

I went with newegg for all my parts (recycling my old drives) and my total cost comes to 570.90.

I would like to make this a cheaper build, but I am not sacrificing certain factors (quality, performance, and upgrading possibility). Also, the potential of making this a better machine through over/under clocking/volting is something I want to make sure I can play with in the near future.

Please help if you can. As I said before, I been reading a lot of the net about a A10-5800K builds and your have been my main source, so feel free to dump your wisdom on me. Just dont be too harsh on my newbness to buildng a PC.

Update to build:
CPU A10-5800k
MB MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X
Mem 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
PSU CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Case ZALMAN Z5 Plus

Also added a two pack of 120mm translucent blue LED fans.

Old total: 570.90
New Total: 536.90
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 8:09:07 AM

OK nothing wrong with your build.

BUT what games do you play at what resolution?
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 8:24:16 AM

Good question and I have taken that into consideration too.

The Screen I am using is at 1360x768 (natrually) WXGA HD. When I looked at comments, I noticed res is a big factor when you want performance and quality.

I mostly play MMORPGs. Main reason for this build is for GW2, Firefall, LoTRO, DDO, Tera, and WildStar. So, basically MMORPGs with a bit of single player RPGs. No shooters except Firefall and maybe Boerdrlands 2.

Overall, I play my games with no post processing effects (I hate fuzzy look), DD (landscape and character) at med to med/low distance, and most of the time AA off.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 9:02:50 AM

C7C said:
Good question and I have taken that into consideration too.

The Screen I am using is at 1360x768 (natrually) WXGA HD. When I looked at comments, I noticed res is a big factor when you want performance and quality.

I mostly play MMORPGs. Main reason for this build is for GW2, Firefall, LoTRO, DDO, Tera, and WildStar. So, basically MMORPGs with a bit of single player RPGs. No shooters except Firefall and maybe Boerdrlands 2.

Overall, I play my games with no post processing effects (I hate fuzzy look), DD (landscape and character) at med to med/low distance, and most of the time AA off.


Well for any of those MMOs you will be fine. As for borderlands 2 you may struggle a bit, AMD is not good at borderlands2 LOL. But it will be playable at that low resolution.

You should be totally fine. :D 

Keep in mind, the faster RAM you get, the faster your graphics will render. Since RAM is so cheap, consider going for the fastest DDR2 kit you can possibly afford.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 9:18:00 AM

I decided on 1866 for now cause of my budget. Also, I want to see how prices fluctuate for higher end speeds when more is known about the next gen FM2.

TBH, I think 16GB is too much. Thinking of getting 4 Crucial Ballistix 2GB. Ideal volt, timing is nice, and price for 4 is only $59.98! Better than $115 (price and quality).

I understand it works much better in 2 channel. But what about 4 channel?
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 9:48:23 AM

C7C said:
I decided on 1866 for now cause of my budget. Also, I want to see how prices fluctuate for higher end speeds when more is known about the next gen FM2.

TBH, I think 16GB is too much. Thinking of getting 4 Crucial Ballistix 2GB. Ideal volt, timing is nice, and price for 4 is only $59.98! Better than $115 (price and quality).

I understand it works much better in 2 channel. But what about 4 channel?


Only some chipsets, X79 for example, can run quad channel.

A85X can not run quad channel. 8 GB in 2 sticks in more than enough.

So instead you can get 2400MHz RAM 4GB x 2 instead of 16 GB for example.

Here are some nice alternative :
2133MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2400MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



m
0
l
February 11, 2013 10:47:19 AM

Novuake said:
Only some chipsets, X79 for example, can run quad channel.

A85X can not run quad channel. 8 GB in 2 sticks in more than enough.

So instead you can get 2400MHz RAM 4GB x 2 instead of 16 GB for example.

Here are some nice alternative :
2133MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2400MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

TY for the info.

So using the 2400 will be considered OC? The MB max is 2400, but its stated as OC. Below that, 2133 natrually.
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 10:56:59 AM

C7C said:
TY for the info.

So using the 2400 will be considered OC? The MB max is 2400, but its stated as OC. Below that, 2133 natrually.


Not really considered an OC. Its not that simple unfortunately. Even without an actual OC the iGPU(onboard graphics) still scale up to perform better. Although an OC on the 5800K is known to add substantial performance increases. Simply adding 2133MHz or 2400MHz RAM does not make it an automatic OC nor does it make an OC necessary to use the 2400MHz capability.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-t...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...

Read the above, it will help you understand RAM scaling. I find the hexus.net article very informative but it is a bit technical. Whereas the Toms article is a lot more user friendly.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 11:07:49 AM

I have done some quick reads over those articles... I will read them again later. I do understand what you are saying.

I do like the how the build is looking. The price has dropped quite a bit and the performance (in theory) slightly increased.

Going with:
2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W (due to reviews on the previous choice worried me)
Twin pack of 120mm translucent blue led fans (got to make the girlfriend happy)

New total price: $536.90

I am becoming impressed with this build. Now, if I can get further assistance. How about the CPU cooler? Can I get a better performance CPU cooler for cheaper?
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 11:16:58 AM

C7C said:
I have done some quick reads over those articles... I will read them again later. I do understand what you are saying.

I do like the how the build is looking. The price has dropped quite a bit and the performance (in theory) slightly increased.

Going with:
2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W (due to reviews on the previous choice worried me)
Twin pack of 120mm translucent blue led fans (got to make the girlfriend happy)

New total price: $536.90

I am becoming impressed with this build. Now, if I can get further assistance. How about the CPU cooler? Can I get a better performance CPU cooler for cheaper?


If you plan on OCing, yes. If not, don't even bother with an aftermarket cooler.

The hyper 212 EVO is cheaper I believe and will outperform the Arctic by a sizable margin under higher OC temps, although the EVO at stock voltage and stock speeds will probably be hotter than the Arctic.

One more thing I just realized. If you can find a decent cheaper A75 board that would save you some more cash as the A85X features will not be used by you.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 11:28:05 AM

Novuake said:
If you plan on OCing, yes. If not, don't even bother with an aftermarket cooler.

The hyper 212 EVO is cheaper I believe and will outperform the Arctic by a sizable margin under higher OC temps, although the EVO at stock voltage and stock speeds will probably be hotter than the Arctic.

One more thing I just realized. If you can find a decent cheaper A75 board that would save you some more cash as the A85X features will not be used by you.
I plan on adding more to the rig, but that wont be till later. Plus compared to the other boards, I like how the set-up is compared to other in its price range. I was thinking about it though. If I can continue with future add-ons/upgrades (A10-6800 mainly) and still have a easy to manage set-up for a cheaper price, by all means please help. And I cant forget performance.
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 11:40:39 AM

C7C said:
I plan on adding more to the rig, but that wont be till later. Plus compared to the other boards, I like how the set-up is compared to other in its price range. I was thinking about it though. If I can continue with future add-ons/upgrades (A10-6800 mainly) and still have a easy to manage set-up for a cheaper price, by all means please help. And I cant forget performance.


IF the 6800K provide a decent iGPU improvement then it makes sense. Also if you get the slightly more expensive A85X chipset you at least have a better chance of supporting future CPUs for the FM2 socket.

I think you are set to go... Nothing more to add other than the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 11:48:11 AM

Thank you very much. I really do not want to add more to the price of the MB, so if the MB limitations are met with this CPU (present build), I can actually just go with a A75 MB and it is not really sacrificing anything I intend to do with it.

Am I correct with this assumption?
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 11:52:31 AM

C7C said:
Thank you very much. I really do not want to add more to the price of the MB, so if the MB limitations are met with this CPU (present build), I can actually just go with a A75 MB and it is not really sacrificing anything I intend to do with it.

Am I correct with this assumption?


Correct, you will not lose any usable functionality by going a bit cheaper with a A75 chipset. just be sure to check that the chosen mobo still supports a decent RAM speed.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 12:05:45 PM

Novuake said:
Correct, you will not lose any usable functionality by going a bit cheaper with a A75 chipset. just be sure to check that the chosen mobo still supports a decent RAM speed.
LOL, I was just updating my wish list on NewEgg when I read this.

I read with the MSI A75 (they seem to be the most reliable when it comes to FM2), the 1.5 BIOS update allows the use of 2400 memory speed. So I am sold and the price is less than $500.
m
0
l
a c 89 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 12:13:05 PM

If you want opinions...kinda weird build.

I'm praying for AMD to improve (keep prices of CPUs down due to competition) but AMD has failed in making CPUs for 2 years now. The i3-3220 will outperform a A10-5800k. It sucks to hear, but its true. If you want AMD cuz you are loyal then thats cool but you can better performance for the money with an i3.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/677?vs=675

Also, why spend an extra $20 for RAM that is 2400 vs 1600? I would buy 2400 if I had to do photo/video editing but for gaming it doesn't help at all.
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 12:21:10 PM

envy14tpe said:
If you want opinions...kinda weird build.

I'm praying for AMD to improve (keep prices of CPUs down due to competition) but AMD has failed in making CPUs for 2 years now. The i3-3220 will outperform a A10-5800k. It sucks to hear, but its true. If you want AMD cuz you are loyal then thats cool but you can better performance for the money with an i3.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/677?vs=675

Also, why spend an extra $20 for RAM that is 2400 vs 1600? I would buy 2400 if I had to do photo/video editing but for gaming it doesn't help at all.


The higlighted part only applies to the latest Intel chips. NOT to AMD APUs.
Read the 2 articles I posted above.

Also, on an extreme budget and for the OPs use, the 5800K will suffice.\

An I3s iGPU can not stand up to a 5800K's, and if he were to get an i3 AND a discreet GPU it would be much better but also cost MUCH more.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 12:57:15 PM

Novuake said:
The higlighted part only applies to the latest Intel chips. NOT to AMD APUs.
Read the 2 articles I posted above.

Also, on an extreme budget and for the OPs use, the 5800K will suffice.\

An I3s iGPU can not stand up to a 5800K's, and if he were to get an i3 AND a discreet GPU it would be much better but also cost MUCH more.
Correct, thats why I am ignoring it. He didnt read what I wanted and what is known about the APU memory management.


I think I am happy with this build. I would have been worried about keeping things cool and quiet with about 4 fans going, but with the case having fan controls, I wont have to worry about it.
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 1:26:39 PM

C7C said:
Correct, thats why I am ignoring it. He didnt read what I wanted and what is known about the APU memory management.


I think I am happy with this build. I would have been worried about keeping things cool and quiet with about 4 fans going, but with the case having fan controls, I wont have to worry about it.


Yeah unfortunately there have been MANY people on this forum that just post without bothering reading.
They assume what they know applies to everything. They spread misinformation without even realizing it.

Makes me sad to think that in many cases they are even selected as best answers and afterwards the person they "helped" is not very happy. But whatever, you will learn who to trust on the forum. I can name a few that will never fail to help anyone.

m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 1:39:54 PM

envy14tpe said:
If you want opinions...kinda weird build.

I'm praying for AMD to improve (keep prices of CPUs down due to competition) but AMD has failed in making CPUs for 2 years now. The i3-3220 will outperform a A10-5800k. It sucks to hear, but its true. If you want AMD cuz you are loyal then thats cool but you can better performance for the money with an i3.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/677?vs=675

Also, why spend an extra $20 for RAM that is 2400 vs 1600? I would buy 2400 if I had to do photo/video editing but for gaming it doesn't help at all.


Yeah I did not think you would reply. :D 

In future please do more research before commenting on something you know nothing about.

No hard feelings.
m
0
l
February 11, 2013 2:12:56 PM

Novuake said:
Yeah unfortunately there have been MANY people on this forum that just post without bothering reading.
They assume what they know applies to everything. They spread misinformation without even realizing it.

Makes me sad to think that in many cases they are even selected as best answers and afterwards the person they "helped" is not very happy. But whatever, you will learn who to trust on the forum. I can name a few that will never fail to help anyone.
Also, I did my research before making up my final draft for this build. Then went to I thought would be best advisable for further assistance.

As for advice, I read everything and think before taking it as real advice or deterrent. His post conflicted with facts known about the Memory management this APU has. So, it was instantly moot.

m
0
l
a c 89 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:16:21 PM

Novuake said:
Yeah I did not think you would reply. :D 

In future please do more research before commenting on something you know nothing about.

No hard feelings.

I do my research and that is my field...albeit not the computer field. And I do enjoy to read posts and find it humorous that some people play games at 720p and it makes me realize that some people are satisfied with less.

No hard feelings.

Read my post. Not the best wording. Thanks for the input on the A10..its actually interesting. And I still have hope for AMD.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/amd-a10-5800k-a8-560...
That's a link that made me think....who cares about A10.
However, this is shocking..
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a10_5800k_revi...
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:21:13 PM

C7C said:
Also, I did my research before making up my final draft for this build. Then went to I thought would be best advisable for further assistance.

As for advice, I read everything and think before taking it as real advice or deterrent. His post conflicted with facts known about the Memory management this APU has. So, it was instantly moot.


You are smarter than most.
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:23:05 PM

envy14tpe said:
I do my research and that is my field...albeit not the computer field. And I do enjoy to read posts and find it humorous that some people play games at 720p and it makes me realize that some people are satisfied with less.

No hard feelings.

Read my post. Not the best wording. Thanks for the input on the A10..its actually interesting. And I still have hope for AMD.


Good. Untill very recently I also gamed on low res screens, some people prefer it as HD strains the eye a bit and is something to get used to. Besides, the larger resolution your screen, the more cost you have to add to your GPU, another reason to keep it below 720p.
m
0
l
a c 89 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:55:00 PM

Novuake said:
Good. Untill very recently I also gamed on low res screens, some people prefer it as HD strains the eye a bit and is something to get used to. Besides, the larger resolution your screen, the more cost you have to add to your GPU, another reason to keep it below 720p.

I apologize for rude comments.

At 720p the A10 is impressive! Nothing compares from Intel. Quite happy to have learned this cuz I thought a separate GPU was needed in all serious gaming.

As far as quality...going from a laptop (768p) to a desktop (1080p monitor) there is no going back. Even when I went from a 560-ti to 660-ti...OMG. The details are insane. I wouldn't dare think of regressing, rather progressing to 1200p..but that'll wait...not a priority.
m
0
l
a c 223 à CPUs
February 11, 2013 2:59:13 PM

envy14tpe said:
I apologize for rude comments.

At 720p the A10 is impressive! Nothing compares from Intel. Quite happy to have learned this cuz I thought a separate GPU was needed in all serious gaming.

As far as quality...going from a laptop (768p) to a desktop (1080p monitor) there is no going back. Even when I went from a 560-ti to 660-ti...OMG. The details are insane. I wouldn't dare think of regressing, rather progressing to 1200p..but that'll wait...not a priority.


I agree. I have an IPS 23" 1080p LED monitor. IPS is the new thing, instead of goinh up in res, just get an IPS tech monitor. The colors and contrast is amazing.
m
0
l
February 12, 2013 9:42:19 PM

The final build was a few changes to the case. It was based on aesthetics more than anything. The final build came up to $537.63 (including ship and processing fees).

Already shipped and should be here tomorrow or Thurs. I will let you know how it performs.
m
0
l
!