Shortcut to network folder in Explorer

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi there,

I've created a shortcut to a particular folder in Windows Explorer which has
worked fine:

%windir%\explorer.exe /e, /select,c:\Documents and Settings\My
Documents\Personal

But.......

1) What would I need to do to change this to a network folder? And what
would happen if the network folder wasn't available? Could it default to
c:\ instead?

2) I copied the above from another post, but can anyone point me towards a
good resource for learning about this (%.... , /select and other flags
etc.). Is this command prompt stuff, vbs or what?

Thanks in advance

John

Why not just open My network places and drag a shortcut to your desktop or
where you want it. Should work.

Stein

"John" <Johnsickofspam@aol.net> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I've created a shortcut to a particular folder in Windows Explorer which
> has worked fine:
>
> %windir%\explorer.exe /e, /select,c:\Documents and Settings\My
> Documents\Personal
>
> But.......
>
> 1) What would I need to do to change this to a network folder? And what
> would happen if the network folder wasn't available? Could it default to
> c:\ instead?
>
> 2) I copied the above from another post, but can anyone point me towards a
> good resource for learning about this (%.... , /select and other flags
> etc.). Is this command prompt stuff, vbs or what?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> John

"John" <Johnsickofspam@aol.net> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I've created a shortcut to a particular folder in Windows Explorer which
> has worked fine:
>
> %windir%\explorer.exe /e, /select,c:\Documents and Settings\My
> Documents\Personal
>
> But.......
>
> 1) What would I need to do to change this to a network folder? And what
> would happen if the network folder wasn't available? Could it default to
> c:\ instead?
>
> 2) I copied the above from another post, but can anyone point me towards a
> good resource for learning about this (%.... , /select and other flags
> etc.). Is this command prompt stuff, vbs or what?
>
> Thanks in advance

Is this what you are looking for?

explorer.exe /e,::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

--
William

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks Stein, I'll try that.

William - Thanks also. ("Is this what you are looking for?") Erm....maybe?
Is that a GUID? How can I reference that in something I can understand?
Can you explain?

Any clues on a good reference point for this sort of thing?

Thanks

John

Is this what you are looking for?

explorer.exe /e,::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}
--
William

Why not just open My network places and drag a shortcut to your desktop or
where you want it. Should work.

Stein

"John" <Johnsickofspam@aol.net> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I've created a shortcut to a particular folder in Windows Explorer which
> has worked fine:
>
> %windir%\explorer.exe /e, /select,c:\Documents and Settings\My
> Documents\Personal
>
> But.......
>
> 1) What would I need to do to change this to a network folder? And what
> would happen if the network folder wasn't available? Could it default to
> c:\ instead?
>
> 2) I copied the above from another post, but can anyone point me towards a
> good resource for learning about this (%.... , /select and other flags
> etc.). Is this command prompt stuff, vbs or what?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> John

You're welcome.
Not exactly what you were asking but it works.

> Thanks Stein, I'll try that.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi William,

Thanks for this. That all makes sense apart from the GUID. What does this
do and where does it come from? I'm keen to learn as well as fix the
current problem.

Thanks for your time.

John

> Hi William,
>
> Thanks for this. That all makes sense apart from the GUID. What does
> this do and where does it come from? I'm keen to learn as well as fix the
> current problem.

Maybe you can tell me what is your problem a little better so I may be of
assistance.

The following Knowledge Base article will describe on customizing Windows
Explorer with switches to change the default views and folder locations.

How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856

The GUID {208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D} is for your network places.

If you place the following in the run dialog box, it will bring you to the
Network places folder.\

explorer.exe /e,::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

You could also create a shortcut with the above line that will bring you to
the network places folder.

--
William

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I see. Thanks for the link.

For my current problem, I'd like to create a link to a folder in my network
places and if that isn't available then it would default to another local
location (say c:\LocalFolder\).

Is this kind of If..Then statement possible in a shortcut or would you need
a script (not that I'd know how to write one!).

Thanks again

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "John" <Johnsickofspam@aol.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi William,
>>>
>>> Thanks for this. That all makes sense apart from the GUID. What does
>>> this do and where does it come from? I'm keen to learn as well as fix
>>> the current problem.
>>>

>> Maybe you can tell me what is your problem a little better so I may be of
>> assistance.
>>
>> The following Knowledge Base article will describe on customizing Windows
>> Explorer with switches to change the default views and folder locations.
>>
>> How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307856
>>
>> The GUID {208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D} is for your network
>> places.
>>
>> If you place the following in the run dialog box, it will bring you to
>> the Network places folder.\
>>
>> explorer.exe /e,::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}
>>
>> You could also create a shortcut with the above line that will bring you
>> to the network places folder.
>>
>I see. Thanks for the link.
>
> For my current problem, I'd like to create a link to a folder in my
> network places and if that isn't available then it would default to
> another local location (say c:\LocalFolder\).
>
> Is this kind of If..Then statement possible in a shortcut or would you
> need a script (not that I'd know how to write one!).

You will need to write a script to do this because XP will just tell you the
network folder is unavailable. If you need help in the script, I would
create a new post describing what you just mentioned to me. This post is
getting buried and you would have better luck in getting help when making
the new post. My VB scripting language is minimal

--
William

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

That's fine. Thanks for all your help William.

Best regards