Hello, I am embarking on a first build, gaming PC. I am turning to yo

jackdag

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Hello,

I am embarking on a first build, gaming PC. I am turning to you guys, as I've read the forums before for tech advice, but this is my first real test. I guess the handy template I researched to help you narrow down your advice would be a good start, so here goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: Oct/Nov

Budget Range: £600-700 (not inc. monitor, OS or keyboard/mouse)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Primarily gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No. Already have a Dell Ultrasharp U2311H on order.

Parts to Upgrade: N/A. I need it all.

Do you need to buy OS: I will, but that's not in my initial budget. I will be getting Windows 8.

Overclocking: Maybe; if some could explain the advantages v price that would be great.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what that means.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: Not particularly fussy. I want some advice on the first things to be looking for. This (as you can tell by my budget) won't be a top of the range build, and I know that.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I have a macbook pro, and that's fine. But I miss the gaming capability of PC's and I'm relishing the challenge of getting one/not getting ripped off in the process. Playing the latest games at the very highest specs is not my agenda, but building a very powerful PC that can handle nearly everything I can throw at it is my ideal outcome.

So, like I said, I'm a novice on this. If I've made a faux pas by asking in this way, or in this section, I apologise. I tried to follow the guidelines for this kind of post closely. Also, if asking for U.K advice on this site is wrong, then could someone please point me in the right direction?

Right, I think I've apologised for enough stuff in advance. I guess all that's left is to thank people in advance for all their helpful, impartial advice.

Thanks,

Jack.