Connection Problem

Badger

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi,
I have previously set up a simple network between my wife's laptop (HP
Pavilion ze4133) and my old desktop (AMD 1.3Ghz Duron) with a crossover
cable and use of the XP Home Network Wizard. It was used purely for Internet
sharing (ADSL) and worked fine.
I have just upgraded to a new computer - Intel P4 3Ghz and cannot get the
network to work at all! Not wanting to reinstall everything I cloned my old
HDD to my new computer. Everything works fine, XP loads, all my settings are
the same, all my apps work beautifully - except for the network.
I have run the Network Wizard about 6 times on both computers. All the
indications are that they are talking to each other, no problem, i.e., the
icons say they are connected, each computer knows if the network cable is
unplugged etc. But, my wife cannot access the Internet from her machine.
The XP Firewall is totally turned off. I have no other firewall running at
the moment. Pinging each other gives a 100% failure - Time Out.
Having spent most of a day on this I am at my wit's end. Can anyone suggest
anything please?
TIA
Badger

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

try reinstalling drivers

kk

"Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
> try reinstalling drivers
>
> kk
Tried reinstalling drivers as you suggest but no joy. Today we actually got
it working - for no apparent reason, then after a few minutes, without any
change to any configuration settings, it just died again. This made me
wonder, could it be a hardware problem? Some intermittent fault? If so I am
torn between the cable (unlikely as it seems constantly to recognise the
connection) or maybe the network card. I have a Marvell Yukon 88E8001
network adapter built on to the motherboard. Could the motherboard itself be
faulty?
Badger

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

are you getting a message of "network cable disconnected?

> > "Badger" <nunaya@bizness.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> I have previously set up a simple network between my wife's laptop (HP
> >> Pavilion ze4133) and my old desktop (AMD 1.3Ghz Duron) with a crossover
> >> cable and use of the XP Home Network Wizard. It was used purely for
> > Internet
> >> sharing (ADSL) and worked fine.
> >> I have just upgraded to a new computer - Intel P4 3Ghz and cannot get
the
> >> network to work at all! Not wanting to reinstall everything I cloned my
> > old
> >> HDD to my new computer. Everything works fine, XP loads, all my
settings
> > are
> >> the same, all my apps work beautifully - except for the network.
> >> I have run the Network Wizard about 6 times on both computers. All the
> >> indications are that they are talking to each other, no problem, i.e.,
> >> the
> >> icons say they are connected, each computer knows if the network cable
is
> >> unplugged etc. But, my wife cannot access the Internet from her
machine.
> >> The XP Firewall is totally turned off. I have no other firewall running
> >> at
> >> the moment. Pinging each other gives a 100% failure - Time Out.
> >> Having spent most of a day on this I am at my wit's end. Can anyone
> > suggest
> >> anything please?
> >> TIA
> >> Badger
> >>

> "Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > try reinstalling drivers
> >
> > kk
> Tried reinstalling drivers as you suggest but no joy. Today we actually
got
> it working - for no apparent reason, then after a few minutes, without any
> change to any configuration settings, it just died again. This made me
> wonder, could it be a hardware problem? Some intermittent fault? If so I
am
> torn between the cable (unlikely as it seems constantly to recognise the
> connection) or maybe the network card. I have a Marvell Yukon 88E8001
> network adapter built on to the motherboard. Could the motherboard itself
be
> faulty?
> Badger

peter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi, if one machine has XP home and the other XP Professional it will not
share files

Go to windows explorer, tools, folder options, view in the XP Pro, scroll to
the bottom on the list, untick simple file sharing

The network has to have the same name eg ms home

Now things start to happen

Pete

"Peter" <pglaw@primus.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi, if one machine has XP home and the other XP Professional it will not
> share files
>
> Go to windows explorer, tools, folder options, view in the XP Pro, scroll
> to the bottom on the list, untick simple file sharing
>
> The network has to have the same name eg ms home
>
> Now things start to happen
>
> Pete

Both machines are running XP Home, with SP2. The network is called MSHOME in
both cases. If you can think of anything else I'd be delighted!
Thanks,

> are you getting a message of "network cable disconnected?
>
> KK

No, both computers are showing that the local network is connected at
100Mbps. Occasionally we get a "little or no connectivity" message but that
becomes rectified if I run the wizard again.
Badger

peter

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi again, ok, go to say my documents, right click, properties, sharing,
click into radio button, share this folder

Is your crossover cable still in perfect condition?? I had my site wired up
by an installer, he got it wrong, I asked for another person to check it
out, he had it wrong. I got popup message "little or no connectivity",

Pete

> Hi again, ok, go to say my documents, right click, properties, sharing,
> click into radio button, share this folder
>
> Is your crossover cable still in perfect condition?? I had my site wired
> up by an installer, he got it wrong, I asked for another person to check
> it out, he had it wrong. I got popup message "little or no connectivity",
>
> Pete
I'll try the folder sharing thing and see how I go - thankyou.
The crossover cable seems to be OK - we get both computers reporting the LAN
is operating. We do occasionally get the "little or no connectivity" message
but it disappears if I rerun the wizard. This is really weird!
Badger

peter

>> "Badger" <nunaya@bizness.com> wrote in message

>> the
>> settings
>> is
>> machine.
>>> >>

>>> "Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Tried reinstalling drivers as you suggest but no joy. Today we actually
>> got
>>> it working - for no apparent reason, then after a few minutes, without
>>> any
>>> change to any configuration settings, it just died again. This made me
>>> wonder, could it be a hardware problem? Some intermittent fault? If so I
>> am
>>> torn between the cable (unlikely as it seems constantly to recognise the
>>> connection) or maybe the network card. I have a Marvell Yukon 88E8001
>>> network adapter built on to the motherboard. Could the motherboard
>>> itself
>> be
>>> faulty?
>>> Badger
>>>

> "Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> are you getting a message of "network cable disconnected?
>>
>> KK
>
> No, both computers are showing that the local network is connected at
> 100Mbps. Occasionally we get a "little or no connectivity" message but
> that becomes rectified if I run the wizard again.
> Badger

Hi again, in my case recently, it was an incorrectly wired crossover cable
(in wall), it reported limited or no connection, no green LAN light

I bought a pre made crossover cable, plugged that in to both computers, got
my computers set right, then called back the cable installer to fix the
error in his work

The network wizard did not fix my problem on WP professional to XP home not
sharing files, I was told to untick simple file sharing and it all came good

Pete