Is there a way to get the thumbnail view back .. I miss them ..

MS turned off a few features in the Thumbnail View for stability &
performance reasons, starting with XP Service Pack 1 release. They took away
the functionality to view HTML files in thumbnail view as well as most Web
content files. The following file types have been disabled from thumbnail
Internet e-mail messages (.eml files), & Internet news messages (.nws
files).

--
gitte
http://flexit-design.dk

To see Thumbnails in the left hand pane, you need to have Common Tasks
activated.

You also need to have the folder template set for Pictures or Photo Album.

You may have to click the Folders icon on the Toolbar to switch from Folders
view to show Common Tasks in the left hand pane.

[[You can display hyperlinks to common tasks in the left pane of your folder
windows. The links provide quick access to file and folder management
activities and other places on your computer, such as My Computer, Shared
Documents, and My Network Places. Windows displays these links by default,
so they may already be displayed in your folders. If they are not, you can
use Folder Options to enable this feature.]]

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
General tab | Select:  Show common tasks in folders |
Apply | OK

Show common tasks in folders
[[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
the folder window.]]

View | Customize This Folder | Select Pictures or Photo Album |
Apply | OK

Or..

Right click the folder | Properties | Customize tab |
Set to Pictures or Photo Album under what kind of folder do you want? |
Apply | OK

Use this folder type as a template:
[[Allows you to select a folder template. Folder templates apply specific
features to your folder, such as specialized task links and viewing options
for working with pictures and music.]]

 Also apply this template to all subfolders
[[Specifies that the template you select for your folder is applied to all
of its subfolders as well.]]

You can view your pictures as thumbnails in any My Pictures subfolder or any
folder customized as a pictures folder.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uOmunKvsFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
gitte <gitte@gotoheaven.dk> hunted and pecked:
> Is there a way to get the thumbnail view back .. I miss them ..
>

> MS turned off a few features in the Thumbnail View for stability &
> performance reasons, starting with XP Service Pack 1 release. They took
> away the functionality to view HTML files in thumbnail view as well as
> most Web content files. The following file types have been disabled from
> thumbnail view: HTML documents (.htm & .html files), XML documents (.xml
> files), Internet e-mail messages (.eml files), & Internet news messages
> (.nws files).
>
> --
> gitte
> http://flexit-design.dk
> http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=gitte

thank you for this suggestion . I found a way around this item. I was
missing 2 files .. this was my solution, in case anybody else miss it after
updates.

Do a search to see if you already have WEBV.DLL and THUMBVW.DLL.
If you do, and they are already in your system32 folder, you may only need
to register them.
If not, extract them from the zip into C:\Windows\System32, and go to
Start<Run.
Type in the commands REGSVR32 WEBVW.DLL and REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and your
thumbnail views should be restored :)