Sign in with
Your question

Overclock failure GTX590

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2012 7:57:53 AM

I have 2 GTX590's and tried OC'ing one of the GPU's on one of the cards (shader +100MHz). That card will now not run with Windows7. It gets to the Windows logo, but when the display changes resolution before the login screen the connection to the monitor is lost. If I disable that card and use the other card, I have no problems.

Is there a utility out there that I can use to reset the settings to default without entering Windows?
August 8, 2012 8:02:34 AM

Btw., I have totaly removed everything nvidia and reinstalled, but it didn't help.
August 8, 2012 10:19:30 PM

why only overclock one of the GPU's...?
that makes no sense without explanation and then still makes no sense unless they are two different models of 590's and clock speeds.
Related resources
August 8, 2012 11:22:48 PM

verbalizer said:
why only overclock one of the GPU's...?
that makes no sense without explanation and then still makes no sense unless they are two different models of 590's and clock speeds.

Because I wanted to test it before I did something serious.
August 8, 2012 11:27:55 PM

SverreMunthe said:
Because I wanted to test it before I did something serious.

for one bro I got news for you....
the GTX 590 is the absolute worse GPU in history of performance GPU's for overclocking.
and then your overclocking technique and principal for even trying it like that is ridiculous.
you can't do that in SLi only in a single unit form.
do do it all with a SLIGHT overclock or don't do it at all with that card(s)..
a c 416 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 11:39:26 PM

Install Afterburner, check the GPU clock speeds, then hit 'reset'. Everything should go back to default, provided you didn't bugger something up.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...

By the way, it should be impossible to OC the Shader, since it's locked to the core speed and unable to be independently adjusted.
August 9, 2012 12:07:50 AM

17seconds said:
Install Afterburner, check the GPU clock speeds, then hit 'reset'. Everything should go back to default, provided you didn't bugger something up.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...

By the way, it should be impossible to OC the Shader, since it's locked to the core speed and unable to be independently adjusted.

The problem is that I can't enter Windows except in safe mode with that card. When the drivers are active it stops after the Windows logo, before the login screen.

It said shader frequency where I added 100MHz.

Don't understand why it's so bad to try one GPU on one card. And 100MHz isn't much when it said I ran on 3 or 4GHz?
August 9, 2012 12:22:09 AM

SverreMunthe said:
The problem is that I can't enter Windows except in safe mode with that card. When the drivers are active it stops after the Windows logo, before the login screen.

It said shader frequency where I added 100MHz.

Don't understand why it's so bad to try one GPU on one card. And 100MHz isn't much when it said I ran on 3 or 4GHz?

dude.
BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DO BOTH CARDS AT ONCE IF THEY ARE IN SLI MODE....
do I have to say it again...

otherwise it will not be stable.
a c 416 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 12:31:33 AM

SLI requires both GPU's to run at the same speed. Usually, the speed is auto adjusted to match, but if you override that, I guess the result is a machine that won't boot past the Windows logo.

There must be a way to reset the card to default clocks.
August 9, 2012 1:07:17 AM

17seconds said:
SLI requires both GPU's to run at the same speed. Usually, the speed is auto adjusted to match, but if you override that, I guess the result is a machine that won't boot past the Windows logo.

The manufacturer, Point of View, told me I had to send them the card. I just can't understand that there isn't a way to do. That's why I asked here.

I didn't know about the SLI thing, the problem is that I've never run SLI on one card like the 590 before. Usualy you just break the SLI with the cable.
August 9, 2012 1:23:36 AM

let's clarify something here.
do you physically have 1 or 2 GTX 590's.?
not one card as in it's actually two GPU's on a single die but four GPU's with two on each card.
in other words can you hold a GTX 590 in one hand or do you have one for both hands.?
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 1:36:07 AM

Man this thread is confusing! Does he have 1, 2 or 4? What was used to OC? Precision or AB?

If 2 physical 590's, just remove the bridge. If 1 590, enter safe mode and delete Precision/AB's files (notably .exe).

A bad OC shouldn't matter as Windows should default to 2d clocks... unless he fragged up a card by a bad OC.
August 9, 2012 1:41:01 AM

verbalizer said:
let's clarify something here.
do you physically have 1 or 2 GTX 590's.?
not one card as in it's actually two GPU's on a single die but four GPU's with two on each card.
in other words can you hold a GTX 590 in one hand or do you have one for both hands.?

The 590, like the 690, has 2 GPU's on one card. I have 2 cards, so I run a quad SLI. The card I overclocked doesn't work with the drivers, the other card does.
August 9, 2012 1:49:05 AM

RussK1 said:
Man this thread is confusing! Does he have 1, 2 or 4? What was used to OC? Precision or AB?

If 2 physical 590's, just remove the bridge. If 1 590, enter safe mode and delete Precision/AB's files (notably .exe).

A bad OC shouldn't matter as Windows should default to 2d clocks... unless he fragged up a card by a bad OC.

2 cards, 2 GPU's per card. Total, quad SLI. Overclocked 1 GPU on 1 card.

I used NVInspector, as the suport guy suggested it. Not very experienced in overclocking graphics cards obviously.

I have deleted the files, tjeres only 3 of them, but it doesn't help. Or it might be unrevirsible errors on the card I overclocked. But then again, it works fine as long as I don't use the drivers. Even tried the newest beta drivers and completely removed th old ones. The suport guy said that the cards had flashed BIOS, and that tjeres no way to reset them.

Any serious suggestions are welcomed, but please no more "you're an idiot" messages, I already got that.
August 9, 2012 2:16:39 AM

SverreMunthe said:
The 590, like the 690, has 2 GPU's on one card. I have 2 cards, so I run a quad SLI. The card I overclocked doesn't work with the drivers, the other card does.

just making sure....
but still either remove one of them and clock just the one or keep both of them in and clock them both.
you cannot clock just one...
August 9, 2012 2:18:20 AM

P.S.
you are NOT an idiot..
a c 416 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 2:22:35 AM

verbalizer said:
P.S.
you are NOT an idiot..

We've all messed up at one point or another while tinkering with our gear. If fact, it wasn't all that long ago when verbalizer actually tried to fry an egg on his GTX 480 and then clean it off with paint thinner. It happens to the best of us.
August 9, 2012 2:31:04 AM

verbalizer said:
just making sure....
but still either remove one of them and clock just the one or keep both of them in and clock them both.
you cannot clock just one...

I'm changing their positions tomorrow to see if I can get it up as number 2 card. I can't connect the monitor to the number 2 card as I haven't set up more than 1 monitor down here where I'm working on it. And the 3 monitors I have upstairs are mounted on a rack (and the 4'th is screwed into the ceiling and painted) and the PC weighs in at over 50 pounds, so I'm not dragging it up there. :) 
August 9, 2012 2:38:32 AM

17seconds said:
We've all messed up at one point or another while tinkering with our gear. If fact, it wasn't all that long ago when verbalizer actually tried to fry an egg on his GTX 480 and then clean it off with paint thinner. It happens to the best of us.

haha.... :p 
August 9, 2012 2:39:17 AM

SverreMunthe said:
I'm changing their positions tomorrow to see if I can get it up as number 2 card. I can't connect the monitor to the number 2 card as I haven't set up more than 1 monitor down here where I'm working on it. And the 3 monitors I have upstairs are mounted on a rack (and the 4'th is screwed into the ceiling and painted) and the PC weighs in at over 50 pounds, so I'm not dragging it up there. :) 

I know exactly what you mean...
August 11, 2012 3:13:46 PM

Total reinstall from scratch. Same problem. After the logo screen Windows (7) tries to change resolution (kick in the drivers?) and the screen blanks out. Difference is that now it shows the blue screen, complaining about nvlddmkm.sys. Any more suggestions? Is there no software out there to reset the GPU BIOS without entering the OS? Seems strange.
August 11, 2012 3:18:50 PM

and the unit works fine with a single 590.?
August 11, 2012 3:28:11 PM

verbalizer said:
and the unit works fine with a single 590.?

Works fine with the other card alone. This one, alone or together with the other, doesn't work.
August 11, 2012 3:36:13 PM

so we need to send that one back for RMA.
you just answered your own problem..
August 11, 2012 3:46:37 PM

The 590's don't like overclocking at all...best to leave them alone. Should be enough for most people in quad SLI...always tempting to try though.

Sounds like the cards bricked unfortunately. I would start the RMA process. Good luck :) 
August 11, 2012 3:47:50 PM

paddys09 said:
The 590's don't like overclocking at all...best to leave them alone. Should be enough for most people in quad SLI...always tempting to try though.

Sounds like the cards bricked unfortunately. I would start the RMA process. Good luck :) 

Thats what support at PoW told me too. :( 
August 11, 2012 3:52:28 PM

Yea it is unfortuante, but you should be ok to get the warranty on it. Just treat it as a lesson learned.

Hope you get sorted soon anyways :) 
August 11, 2012 4:16:17 PM

SverreMunthe said:
Thats what support at PoW told me too. :( 

THAT'S WHAT I TOLD YOU 22222222222...!!!!!
August 11, 2012 4:16:45 PM

paddys09 said:
Yea it is unfortuante, but you should be ok to get the warranty on it. Just treat it as a lesson learned.

Hope you get sorted soon anyways :) 

Might be a problem, since I've removed the water block to inspect the card, and two of the nuts on the block has broken off and I've put on new termo pads and paste. The nuts were probably not welded good enough, since I didn't use force, but you never know.
August 11, 2012 4:30:29 PM

verbalizer said:
THAT'S WHAT I TOLD YOU 22222222222...!!!!!

I just don't get it, that there are no programs you can boot your PC with, so you can reset the BIOS on the cards. Or a contact you can click to reset the BIOS.
August 11, 2012 4:34:40 PM

SverreMunthe said:
I just don't get it, that there are no programs you can boot your PC with, so you can reset the BIOS on the cards. Or a contact you can click to reset the BIOS.

search on flashing the BIOS or ROM it MIGHT be also called.
there are programs that do that but not sure about this particular situation..
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:43:21 PM

Flashing ROM is a good idea and nothing to lose. The 590 has dual bios (one for each GPU) and you could have corrupted the bios of the GPU you tried to OC. Below is a link with some info... Perhaps you can save a bios off of the good card and flash it to the GPU you messed with (??)

Anyway, scroll down and there is a guide. I wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with flashing nVidia cards.

Good luck!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1063263/gtx-590-flashing-ove...
a c 81 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:48:28 PM

17seconds said:

If that is true, it is not true now.

I run two different 680's. One is factory OC'ed, the other isn't (it was really hard to pick exactly what card you could get for months). I have been monitoring the cards since day one on my G13's LCD screen with MSI Afterburner. They clearly run at different core and memory speeds. With their new boost tech, it's a lot harder to sync, but I have gotten them to become very close to the same clock speeds, but with their boost tech, they often boost at different times, and for different amounts.

Even so, they work great together, but their clocks are rarely exactly the same at any given time.
August 11, 2012 6:22:17 PM

RussK1 said:
Flashing ROM is a good idea and nothing to lose. The 590 has dual bios (one for each GPU) and you could have corrupted the bios of the GPU you tried to OC. Below is a link with some info... Perhaps you can save a bios off of the good card and flash it to the GPU you messed with (??)

Anyway, scroll down and there is a guide. I wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with flashing nVidia cards.

Good luck!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1063263/gtx-590-flashing-ove...

I'm at a loss. DOS: I'm not able to make a bootable USB. Tried 2 4GB's and 1 8GB, but the option to make an MS-DOS bootable format is greyed out. This is the same for both Win7 64 and WinXP 32.

When I try it from Windows7 the command window closes so I can't see the error message. Tride nvflash gtx590a.rom > test.txt and | more, but none of them worked. It made the test.txt, but it was empty, and it didn't stop with | more. Guessing I can't flash it because the drivers aren't loaded. But why can't I make a bootable USB?
August 11, 2012 6:30:00 PM

just RMA the card if option is available..
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 6:40:26 PM

SverreMunthe said:
I'm at a loss. DOS: I'm not able to make a bootable USB. Tried 2 4GB's and 1 8GB, but the option to make an MS-DOS bootable format is greyed out. This is the same for both Win7 64 and WinXP 32.

When I try it from Windows7 the command window closes so I can't see the error message. Tride nvflash gtx590a.rom > test.txt and | more, but none of them worked. It made the test.txt, but it was empty, and it didn't stop with | more. Guessing I can't flash it because the drivers aren't loaded. But why can't I make a bootable USB?

Create an OC.net account and I'm positive them fellas will be more than willing to help you.

if you had a Radeon card I'd be more than happy to walk you through ATIWinflash and/or RBE but you don't have one. I can't suggest anything for flashing ROM on an nVidia card because you know as much as I do and I don't want to give you the wrong directions. Them guys on OC.net are pros so your best bet is there, honestly.

In fact you can probably just ask them if it'll work or simply enough, if it's a waste of time.

The link I posted has over 70 pages of info on the GTX 590. I'm sure what you need is there.

I really apologize I cannot offer more help other than repeating what Verbalizer already mentioned when it comes to RMA and that in itself is a whole other can-of-worms which I see as a 50/50 shot.
August 11, 2012 7:45:31 PM

RussK1 said:
Create an OC.net account and I'm positive them fellas will be more than willing to help you.

if you had a Radeon card I'd be more than happy to walk you through ATIWinflash and/or RBE but you don't have one. I can't suggest anything for flashing ROM on an nVidia card because you know as much as I do and I don't want to give you the wrong directions. Them guys on OC.net are pros so your best bet is there, honestly.

In fact you can probably just ask them if it'll work or simply enough, if it's a waste of time.

The link I posted has over 70 pages of info on the GTX 590. I'm sure what you need is there.

I really apologize I cannot offer more help other than repeating what Verbalizer already mentioned when it comes to RMA and that in itself is a whole other can-of-worms which I see as a 50/50 shot.

I found an utility to make bootable USB's.
Using nvflash.exe to flash my GPU's didn't work, and I can't find any PoV BIOS's, but I can probably bring up my other card and save those BIOS's and use them. I'll try that tomorrow.
I also replied to the thread asking for help, so I'll see what happends.
I'll be sure to post a reply here about how it goes, so others might use the information.
August 11, 2012 7:46:48 PM

verbalizer said:
just RMA the card if option is available..

I'll do that if all other options fail. I might also consider buying two 690 cards, but probably better to wait for the 7-series?
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 7:48:21 PM

Quote:
but I can probably bring up my other card and save those BIOS's and use them.

That's what I meant.
August 11, 2012 9:17:28 PM

Trying to transfere BIOS, but found that I can only transfere BIOS from GPU 4 to GPU 2 and 4. Do I have to use the BIOS from GPU 3 for 1 and 3?

I saved the BIOS's from all 4 GPU's since I'm not sure who is on what card. It shows up as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, where I guess 0 and 3 are cards and not GPU's?
!