Risk in buying engineering sample cpu?

lionheart2243

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi all,
So I've seen some pretty amazing prices on ebay for engineering samples of processors (ex. $50 for a $4000 xeon) and was wondering about the risks in getting these engineering samples. I've done some reading online, and from the looks of things, those balsy enough to give them a try have been nothing but happy with them and those who haven't given them a try are the ones talking about them possibly being buggy and not worth it. The main issues I've seen from people who have owned them have had to do with heat generation which has something to do with the lack of enabled temperature monitoring, especially when overclocking (which I won't be doing). Can anyone elaborate or give any personal input on these heat issues, or any other problems for that matter? I've got my eye on an auction ending later today so the quicker you can respond the better.

Thanks!

Solution
well if its only 40 bucks i would take the chance...es are usually more expensive as they are unlocked even for the non k versions ppl also say they are cherry picked processors means for hardware reviewers so it means those are the first processors of its kind so it suppose to be little better quality. I've read somewhere if you send intel the engineering sample they will send you extreme series processor as intel doesnt want engineering samples processors floating around the market but I might be wrong I just seen similar discussion to this a year ago
well if its only 40 bucks i would take the chance...es are usually more expensive as they are unlocked even for the non k versions ppl also say they are cherry picked processors means for hardware reviewers so it means those are the first processors of its kind so it suppose to be little better quality. I've read somewhere if you send intel the engineering sample they will send you extreme series processor as intel doesnt want engineering samples processors floating around the market but I might be wrong I just seen similar discussion to this a year ago

Solution

nokia3310

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Knowing u official rep for Intel..i will not even listen or consider your comments...just to be neutral to my decisions. ES are so far much more cheaper...hence why your comments exist...so instead of people paying arm and leg on some processor that will loose value ridiculously in a few years even months...blaming one selves for buying something that looses value so quickly for so expensive

the fact here is ES are worth their price more than non-ES sample..bring in your facts to deny this