Sign in with
Your question

Sanity check for new build; mid-range gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2012 4:20:38 PM

Hi everyone!

I was hoping to get a sanity check on the parts I've chosen for this build. I'm not new to building systems, but it's been quite a while (the last system I built from scratch had a Pentium 3 :-) and I'm afraid of making a mistake with all the new technologies. I'd hate to order all this stuff and have something not work. So, here's what I've picked out:

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
CPU: Intel i5 3450
RAM: 8 GB G.Skill RAM (1600 DDR3)
Video card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC
Hard disk: old SATA disk I have lying around; I'll upgrade it later, probably to SSD
PSU: Chieftec APS-500S
Case: Antec Sonata 2 (used)

Does anyone see any show stoppers? I picked the MB because I'd like the possibility to do SLI in the future. I know that the PSU won't be enough for SLI, but is it enough for this system without overclocking?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated. :-)

- Justin
September 28, 2012 4:40:38 PM

Drop the Z77 chipset and go for the H77 chipset. Some choices are; Asus P8H77 series, ASrock H77M and the Asrock H77 Pro/MVP. If I remember, there was a motherboard from the Asus P8H77 line-up that supports SLI.

No to that PSU. Get one from Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, PC&P, Antec or Silverstone.
September 28, 2012 4:43:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. Why would you go with the H77 over the Z77? It looked like the Z77 is more future proofed in case I decide to overclock down the line.

Is the problem with PSU the brand or the wattage? I'm not married to this PSU, but it seems to be OK and I can probably get it in an online auction for next to nothing. But if it straight up work, I can look elsewhere.

Thanks!
Related resources
September 28, 2012 5:17:09 PM

I suggest a cheapo H77 set-up now, then upgrade next year when the Haswell 1150 socket processors are released from Intel.

Most unknown PSU brands are most likely generic or close to generic, they most likely have low quality and chances are, it will break down when you put it under load.
September 28, 2012 9:38:22 PM

Cool, thanks very much for the advice.

It looks like what I'm building is actually pretty similar to what you already have....are you happy with it? How would you describe the 1920x1080 performance in games?
September 29, 2012 12:53:54 AM

Its given me good performance. I play at 1920x1080 and I play games smoothly. Skyrim plays at about 60FPS and BF3 45+FPS depending on the map. Of course, they go down sometimes.
!