When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which opens
shows the following columns in that order.
> > Name, Size, Type, date modified
The window is usually too narrow to show all the fields at once, especially
"date modified" which is for me more important than size or type.
> > Is there a way to change the order of these columns?
The way I work I want to see
> > Name, date modified, Size, Type.
Thanks,

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:57:27 -0700, PierreL wrote:

> When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which opens
> shows the following columns in that order.
>>> Name, Size, Type, date modified
> The window is usually too narrow to show all the fields at once, especially
> "date modified" which is for me more important than size or type.
>>> Is there a way to change the order of these columns?
> The way I work I want to see
>>> Name, date modified, Size, Type.
> Thanks,

Use the View> Choose Details menu. This will bring up a screen showing
available details on the left. Currently selected/displayed details on the
right. There are also "move up" and "move down" buttons. Use them to move a
selected category - move up in the list to move the item to the left in
Details view.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In Windows Explorer, you may re-order columns. Left click and hold on the
field to be moved and drag it to where you want it. You may also change
fields that are listed by right clicking on the column header and then
checking and unchecking fields as desired.

"PierreL" wrote:

> When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which opens
> shows the following columns in that order.
> > > Name, Size, Type, date modified
> The window is usually too narrow to show all the fields at once, especially
> "date modified" which is for me more important than size or type.
> > > Is there a way to change the order of these columns?
> The way I work I want to see
> > > Name, date modified, Size, Type.
> Thanks,

In addition to what Sharon posted.

Click and Drag a header divider to change the width of a column.

Double click the header divider to open a column to the width needed to view
the longest entry. You have to drag it back to get it to be narrow again.

If you're referring to the Open dialog.

Right click one of the headers to get a choice to add or remove headers.

Right click one of the headers, down at the bottom, click More... to get
Choose Details if you want to change the order.

This also works in any folder in lieu of using View | Choose Details.

How to Change Column Settings in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310297

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5F4C8576-75F3-4F14-B1EB-C9E09112D915@microsoft.com,
PierreL <PierreL@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which opens
> shows the following columns in that order.
>>> Name, Size, Type, date modified
> The window is usually too narrow to show all the fields at once,
> especially "date modified" which is for me more important than size or
> type.
>>> Is there a way to change the order of these columns?
> The way I work I want to see
>>> Name, date modified, Size, Type.
> Thanks,

Good tip on dragging the column headers. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:BECF2498-92AF-4820-87A0-71BCD8FF1DFE@microsoft.com,
CurtB <CurtB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> In Windows Explorer, you may re-order columns. Left click and hold on the
> field to be moved and drag it to where you want it. You may also change
> fields that are listed by right clicking on the column header and then
> checking and unchecking fields as desired.
>
> "PierreL" wrote:
>
>> When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which
>> opens shows the following columns in that order.
>> The window is usually too narrow to show all the fields at once,
>> especially "date modified" which is for me more important than size or
>> type.
>> The way I work I want to see
>> Thanks,

Thanks, worked wonders. Even discovered the "file picture taken" column.
Editing pictures always changed the "date modified" and I lost track of time
picture was taken. I had to make a dir> list.txt under dos to get the date
with the original filename given by the camera, and then under excel do some
concatenation to add the date+time picture taken to the filename given by the
camera. Great time saving!
Thanks to all.
PS noted than when this column setting is done on one folder it does not
apply to sub-folders even if I tick the "apply to sub-folders". Pity!

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> In addition to what Sharon posted.
>
> Click and Drag a header divider to change the width of a column.
>
> Double click the header divider to open a column to the width needed to view
> the longest entry. You have to drag it back to get it to be narrow again.
>
> If you're referring to the Open dialog.
>
> Right click one of the headers to get a choice to add or remove headers.
>
> Right click one of the headers, down at the bottom, click More... to get
> Choose Details if you want to change the order.
>
> This also works in any folder in lieu of using View | Choose Details.
>
> How to Change Column Settings in Windows Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310297
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:5F4C8576-75F3-4F14-B1EB-C9E09112D915@microsoft.com,
> PierreL <PierreL@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which opens
> > shows the following columns in that order.
> > The window is usually too narrow to show all the fields at once,
> > especially "date modified" which is for me more important than size or
> > type.
> > The way I work I want to see
> > Thanks,

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:11:52 -0500 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Sharon F favored us with...
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:57:27 -0700, PierreL wrote:
> > When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which opens
> > shows the following columns in that order.
> > Name, Size, Type, date modified
> > Is there a way to change the order of these columns?
> > The way I work I want to see
> > Name, date modified, Size, Type.
>
> Use the View> Choose Details menu. This will bring up a screen showing
> available details on the left. Currently selected/displayed details on the
> right. There are also "move up" and "move down" buttons. Use them to move a
> selected category - move up in the list to move the item to the left in
> Details view.

Where is this menu found? I've just done File > Open in Word 2003,
and I can't see a View menu or any other menu in the Open dialog. (I
found the View _icon_, but it just gives "details" as a choice
without letting me select which details.)

Like Pierre, I'd like to be able to see different details. Can you
explain a bit more clearly, please?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

From Wiindows Explorer: View > Choose Details

From Microsoft Word: File > Open > right click in column header > more

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:11:52 -0500 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Sharon F favored us with...
> > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:57:27 -0700, PierreL wrote:
> > > When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which opens
> > > shows the following columns in that order.
> > > Name, Size, Type, date modified
> > > Is there a way to change the order of these columns?
> > > The way I work I want to see
> > > Name, date modified, Size, Type.
> >
> > Use the View> Choose Details menu. This will bring up a screen showing
> > available details on the left. Currently selected/displayed details on the
> > right. There are also "move up" and "move down" buttons. Use them to move a
> > selected category - move up in the list to move the item to the left in
> > Details view.
>
> Where is this menu found? I've just done File > Open in Word 2003,
> and I can't see a View menu or any other menu in the Open dialog. (I
> found the View _icon_, but it just gives "details" as a choice
> without letting me select which details.)
>

> Like Pierre, I'd like to be able to see different details. Can you
> explain a bit more clearly, please?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
> days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E72C93EA-2C81-4CC2-A3DD-41CC1CD54007@microsoft.com,
PierreL <PierreL@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks, worked wonders. Even discovered the "file picture taken" column.
> Editing pictures always changed the "date modified" and I lost track of
> time picture was taken. I had to make a dir> list.txt under dos to get
> the date with the original filename given by the camera, and then under
> excel do some concatenation to add the date+time picture taken to the
> filename given by the camera. Great time saving!
> Thanks to all.
> PS noted than when this column setting is done on one folder it does not
> apply to sub-folders even if I tick the "apply to sub-folders". Pity!
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> In addition to what Sharon posted.
>>
>> Click and Drag a header divider to change the width of a column.
>>
>> Double click the header divider to open a column to the width needed to
>> view the longest entry. You have to drag it back to get it to be narrow
>> again.
>>
>> If you're referring to the Open dialog.
>>
>> Right click one of the headers to get a choice to add or remove headers.
>>
>> Right click one of the headers, down at the bottom, click More... to get
>> Choose Details if you want to change the order.
>>
>> This also works in any folder in lieu of using View | Choose Details.
>>
>> How to Change Column Settings in Windows Explorer
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310297
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:5F4C8576-75F3-4F14-B1EB-C9E09112D915@microsoft.com,
>> PierreL <PierreL@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> When one wants to open a file from an application the windows which
>>> opens shows the following columns in that order.
>>> The window is usually too narrow to show all the fields at once,
>>> especially "date modified" which is for me more important than size or
>>> type.
>>> The way I work I want to see
>>> Thanks,

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:19:06 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, CurtB favored us with...

> From Microsoft Word: File > Open > right click in column header > more

Thanks! I didn't realize right-clicking on column heads in the Open
box did anything.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:09:11 -0700, CurtB wrote:

> In Windows Explorer, you may re-order columns. Left click and hold on the
> field to be moved and drag it to where you want it. You may also change
> fields that are listed by right clicking on the column header and then
> checking and unchecking fields as desired.

Very slick, Curt. Thanks for posting this.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User