Sign in with
Your question

$1,800-$2,200 Budget, Need Help

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2012 5:31:52 PM

Hello All,
I want as "future proof" of a system as possible... yes yes, no such thing whatever :p ... laying it all on the table I have $1,800-$2,200 to spend and only need these things:

Set - Level 10 GT (I love the look, functionality/quality, and radiator friendly, unless you have other suggestions... would like the case to stay under $400)
1. CPU/Cooler
2. Mobo
3. RAM

I am going to be using this system for primarily Gaming, but am wanting to expand my horizons into maybe some photo/video editing, etc. Basically I want it to be able to do just about anything minus maybe grab me a cup of coffee... These are the two sets I've been debating between. The quantity of RAM isn't as important as the quality, as I can always quickly accumulate the funds for another set in a month or two. Don't bother talking about the GPU really, that's getting a budget of it's own. I'm considering the evga 690 hydro copper or dual 680 classifieds (PSU see below).

--
Level 10 GT
i7-3770k
Cooler - See below.
z77 Sabretooth
2x 2x4 AVEXIR 2800mhz cl9
---
Level 10 GT
i7-3930k
Cooler - See below.
x79 Rampage iv Extreme
1x Fan Cooled Corsair Vengeance 4x4 2400mhz cl9 (and a second shortly down the road) I figured I have the room due to the cooling.
--

I'm all confused about what to do with cooling... (I'm a noob with liquid cooling) I was considering 1-2 Big Water 760s or a Big Water 760 for gfx and H100 for CPU. Who knows, any suggestions? Also PSU is between a Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 1200w gold plus (matches case lol) or an XFX Proseries 1000w platinum plus.
So... which setup between the two, which PSU, and which cooling system (open to suggestions on cooling especially)...
Thanks a TON guys!!

More about : 800 200 budget

September 28, 2012 6:16:13 PM

the level 10 gt looks great and has good build quality but has

-bad rad support
-bad heatsink support
-extremely expensive (i could get a way better case for 250)

you dont need

-dont need a big psu
-dont need a i7
-dont need watercooling (unless you are doing custom loops)
-dont need x79
-dont need 16gb of ram
-dont need sabertooth (makes board run hotter)
-dont need a 690
-high memory speeds wreck the CPU (technically the high voltage required)
-high memory speeds do nothing to increase gaming performance

this is what i would recommend
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iM7F

m
l
September 28, 2012 6:24:06 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the level 10 gt looks great and has good build quality but has

-bad rad support
-bad heatsink support
-extremely expensive (i could get a way better case for 250)

you dont need

-dont need a big psu
-dont need a i7
-dont need x79
-dont need 16gb of ram
-dont need a 690

this is what i would recommend
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iM7F

I'll disagree about the Level 10 - I think it's overrated and uses a lot of cheap plastic throughout. On a $250 case to me that's unacceptable.

I definitely agree about X79 but the Sabertooth X79 isn't like the Z77 model in that it doesn't have the plastic covers on it. I still think it's an overrated board.

There's also numerous benchmarks out there that support my claim that dual 670s are better than a single 690.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2012 6:26:20 PM

TheBigTroll said:
...you dont need

-dont need a big psu
-dont need a i7
-dont need x79
-dont need 16gb of ram
-dont need a 690

ddn't you Understand anything of what he wrote????

it's not about NEED dude, it's about him Wanting it and being able to afford it!
m
l
September 28, 2012 6:58:35 PM

dingo07 said:

it's not about NEED dude, it's about him Wanting it and being able to afford it!

While I appreciate the input TheBigTroll, dingo07 hit the nail on the head. If I were buying what I needed, I wouldn't need help from anyone trust me, it's about deciding between two setups that I want. And if my questions were actually read, then you would have only recommended parts that I requested, aside from the fact that my budget would be suffice for a better graphics setup to "future proof" my rigg as I had also mentioned. I'm a fan of the looks of a lot of the equipment I'm considering, and I understand that "looks" are in the eye of the beholder, which is why I mentioned what I was looking at lol. I asked a few questions, feel free to answer my questions with your thoughts (though, if you're going to be rude, please don't bother answering lol), but please try to understand exactly what I'm asking and don't bother with fruitless criticisms... thanks again! :D 
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:05:32 PM

the 2nd setup I would choose - with the XFX PS

I suggest getting the rig and using it before looking into water cooling - it's definitely not for the mechanically challenged, and there's a lot to learn in that realm

---

and would not suggest the H100 closed loop system - it's like paying $800 to have your GT3 RS repainted, it just isn't gonna turn out well

here's a great place to source water parts - http://www.frozencpu.com/

XSPC is about the only "kit" I would suggest if you were to go with one
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:12:59 PM

dingo07 said:

You have to keep in mind that future proofing is a GIGANTIC moot point (there isn't a code invented yet that properly emphasizes how much I can't stress this enough) - there's really no such thing. You can spend 1/2 of that and get an awesome gaming build that will last a couple of years with no need to upgrade. Just going and choosing the most expensive parts and saying "I want this" isn't the best way to do things.
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:15:35 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You have to keep in mind that future proofing is a GIGANTIC moot point (there isn't a code invented yet that properly emphasizes how much I can't stress this enough) - there's really no such thing. You can spend 1/2 of that and get an awesome gaming build that will last a couple of years with no need to upgrade. Just going and choosing the most expensive parts and saying "I want this" isn't the best way to do things.

Understood - to a point

but with that said, buying the latest gear means it will take longer to become obsolete
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:27:37 PM

g-unit1111 said:

At the risk of sounding rude, please read what I posted. I already said that I understand that "future proofing" isn't really possible. I may be asking this question, and I may be a noob to water cooling (yeah I had checked out frozencpu to read up on liquid cooling products, a good site.), but I do actually understand most hardware and their workings. This is the problem with asking questions in forums, no one wants to actually answer your question, but rather criticize what you are asking lol. But as dingo07 said, newer tech is better for... ok... making a rig better for the long haul... since I have to be politically correct in order to avoid criticisms lol. The x79 is prepped for Ivy Bridge -E adoption... I figured the z77 wouldn't be a bad option either, but yeah... this is why I'm wondering if anyone has some useful comments about what I was actually asking :)  which setup would you go with and why... if they were the only two you could pick LoL... and again, thanks!
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:31:50 PM

... and just to clear the record that should have been cleared with my first post, I'm not looking for the MOST EXPENSIVE HARDWARE on the market :p ... because if I were, I sure wouldn't be getting a single processor mobo... and I wouldn't have said "The quantity of RAM isn't as important as the quality" amongst other things... I picked these parts, as I said already because I liked the looks and the specs (and some benches I looked at) seemed good....
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:32:32 PM

dingo07 said:
Understood - to a point

but with that said, buying the latest gear means it will take longer to become obsolete

X79 isn't really meant to play games on which is why it has a ridiculously high price tag. Most gamers will opt for the more budget friendly Z77 and you can still overclock, run triple or quad SLI if you want to, and it can handle every game you can throw at it. All we're saying is make a few minor changes and you'll get a build that will last several years with minimal upgrades.

Also the Sabertooth is overrated and expensive for what you get which is why Troll suggested against it and I do as well. The plastic covers on the motherboard are like the PC equivalent of a car salesman putting undercoating on your new car.

Quote:

... and just to clear the record that should have been cleared with my first post, I'm not looking for the MOST EXPENSIVE HARDWARE on the market :p ... because if I were, I sure wouldn't be getting a single processor mobo... and I wouldn't have said "The quantity of RAM isn't as important as the quality" amongst other things... I picked these parts, as I said already because I liked the looks and the specs (and some benches I looked at) seemed good....

Trust me I can configure a system based around the EVGA SR-X and dual Xeons and it'd cost about the same as a new Hyundai Sonata. :lol: 
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:32:55 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'll disagree about the Level 10 - I think it's overrated and uses a lot of cheap plastic throughout. On a $250 case to me that's unacceptable.

the plastic is pretty tough but definitly overpriced
m
l
!