New computer keeps freezing when gaming!

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hello, I've recently been having some issues with my new computer, my computer seemed to be fine from the time of purchase, it froze once while I was playing a game off steam, (Alan Wake, if it makes any difference). But other than that it seemed dandy, I really purchased this computer for my wife, and shes never had any freeze-up issues with it, the only times its begins to freeze is when I try and game on it, its not used very often and I am assuming its something to do with the graphics card? As it only really happens when I am gaming. It basically freezes so bad, that I hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE and I get as far as the task manager before my computer completely freezes, and I am forced to reboot. The computer is only 3 months old, so I am assuming I got a bad graphics card? I can play games sometimes for hours, and sometimes for 20 minutes before it freezes. I checked my windows event viewer and it seems to show the following when it crashes:

Event 10, "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

When I hit the details tab it shows the following:

Friendly View:
" //./root/CIMV2
SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
0x80041003"

XML View:

"- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-08-08T09:40:28.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>4065</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>JordanandSam-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>"

I have no idea what this means, and I am not even sure if those error messages are related to the problem, as I am not a computer wiz :(. Any help would be appreciated! Here are the following system specs that I have:

Language: Windows 7 Home premium 64-Bit (6.1, build 7601)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: M68MT-S2
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6. 00PG
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3Ghz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DX Version: DX 11

Display:

Display: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (6770)
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x68BA)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400Mhz)
Approx. Total Memory: 753 MB
Driver Version: 8.961.0.0

PSU:
I believe 600 or 700W not sure, but more than needed for the card I have.

Let me know if you need anymore info, I pretty much just copied my system specs, I don't really know more than that, I bought this computer from Ibuypower on a decent sale from bestbuy for $600.00, picked it up because I was told it was a good deal.. now I am not so sure Ibuypower is a good brand to buy from >.>! I hope its me and not them! Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate it!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
These are the typical symptoms of a heat and/or power issue. Are you monitoring system temperatures? If not, download and install hwmonitor (just google it and use the free version). Please post the results.

Also, take a look inside the case to make sure all of the fans are actually working.

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Thank you for your reply! So I decided to do what you told me, I took a look inside the case, and the fans seem to be in good condition, since its fairly new, no dust build up or anything of the sort, they are running smooth and quiet. Unfortunately.. when I ran the temperature test program, (HWmoniter) it didn't work! It crashed my computer, I tried it 3 times and reinstalled it, I pretty much got the same bug as I do when I play games, it crashed and froze.. I had enough time to pop up CTRL + ALT + DEL and hit end process, but it still got stuckl. Oh and by the way I took a look at my power supply and its 600 Watts, if that helps.

What brand and model is that "600W" PSU? It should not be having any difficulty at all with a HD6770, but if it is something like a Diablotek or Logisys, it probably lacks transient filtering so every little power glitch passes right on through.

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
The brand is Coonix, I assume thats a cheap brand. And just an update in case this helps, when I first got the computer I tried to switch the hard-drive from my old computer to the new one. I ended up deciding to put the new one back in. I didn't have a problem putting it back in, but may I have possibly messed it up? I don't think thats the case, but what do you guys think? Could it be the power supply then?

If it's a cheap generic, it could be the PSU, yes. It may barely be good for half of what is on its label, and that not cleanly. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification; it's not so much for efficiency, but during testing it was run at 100% of its label for long enough that a cheap PSU would have died a fiery death.
If you have no plans to upgrade your graphics card, a 380W Antec Earthwatts or 430W Corsair Builder would be sufficient for you. If you plan an upgrade, I'd get something in the 500W-550W range.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
make sure everything is plugged in? for my first build i had a similar problem, and i looked at my 6870 and 1 of the 6-pin connectors was not plugged in all the way. could be your problem.

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Well I re-plugged in my graphics card just to make sure thats not the issue, I don't believe there was anything loose, but I did it anyways. I am thinking the problem is most likely the power supply, seems to make sense since it seems like such a cheap brand. I don't think I'll be buying a new power supply in a little while though, since I have my own rig and my wife pretty much uses this for facebook. I just have my buddies occasionally come on and game on it, and it works for hours sometimes so it shouldn't be to bad of an issue. I am still more than open to suggestion, if there is a way to fix this other than buying new hardware I am all ears, else I would probably be looking at a cheap fix anywhere below $50, else I'll wait to fix and upgrade it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this or what you think the problem is, please keep them coming! I am more than willing to try and fix this somehow.

If that PSU is running on its ragged edge, it may be sending out-of-spec voltages to your PC. That's what's causing the lockups, and may also eventually damage components. You should replace it with a decent PSU ASAP. The 380W Earthwatts is only $45.

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
I'll have to look into getting a new PSU then, I don't wouldn't want it getting damaged. I do have a question however, would the PSU really make the HWMoniter program lock up? Or games lock up? Just wondering because, my wife has played the Sims 3 on this quite a bit and has never encountered these issues. Its only done this when I've played that Alan Wake game, and after doing some research, it seems that game can be very stressful. And some other people have had the same issue with that same game, as far as HWmoniter though, I don't have a clue why it locks up on that. But if its doing it specifically when I am using a certain program or launching a certain program do you think it would be the PSU? I am no computer wiz, just wanna make sure I buy the right stuff and that we have crossed out other options so far.

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Okay, well I'll have to purchase a new PSU, I guess thats not so bad, seeing as they are fairly cheap. I'll look into it, thanks for the info. If anyone has anymore suggestions feel free to post, I'll try and keep updated when I get a new PSU.

Thank you for taking an interest in helping me out guys!

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hey guys quick update here, turns out I looked at the wrong events in the event viewer.. as soon as I opened the right one, I saw a huge list of errors. Most of them after it hit a critical error and rebooted, were AODDriver 4.1 issues, which reported this:

'The AODDriver4.1 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

And WMI driver issues which reported this:

filter with query
" "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

There was also an AMD fuel service error as the following:

"The AMD FUEL Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)."

And:

"Faulting application name: Fuel.Service.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fd626ed
Faulting module name: Device.dll, version: 4.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f55e10b
Exception code: 0xc0000005"

As well as this problem with NVstor64 (I have no clue what that is):

"An unknown error has occured on this device.
Device: \Device\RaidPort1"

Lastly one of the other issues was that my windows registry was being used by other programs, but that just had a warning sign and said the following:

" Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. "

Also I figured out why HWmoniter doesn't work, apparently after looking around I found out some other people encountered the same issue, I am not really aware of what the issue is with that, but I just ended up downloading CPU-Z which is suppose to be similar to that, and it runs just fine!

So there you have it, those are the main critical errors my computer has been encountering and appearntly ive had all of these problem pretty much from the start, except that after looking at the logs, when i bought the computer I've had more errors than now, it just never crashed. And something else to note is I had alot of MSinstaller warnings from that event viewer, when I first got the computer. I don't know if this info helps you guys out or confuses you more, but if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

BTW: I am wondering if you guys think it might also have something to do with the drivers?

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for the heads up, I'll remove it. I'll also post an update as soon as I get my PSU! It should be here in about a week, until then if anyone has any other suggestions just let me know!

noobhat

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Sorry to double post, but it seems as if the power supply came much quicker than I thought! Surprisingly Best Buy Canada is pretty decent at shipping, not to mention they were cheaper than other Canadian stores. Anywhom, I installed my PSU right away as of yesterday, and I haven't gotten any freezes yet, so far so good. My HWmoniter still freezes, but I am pretty sure that its software related. Everything else seems to be going fine, I left the game on for an hour or two and walked away no issues, time will tell but so far this seems to be the fix! I'll keep updated on anymore issues! If I don't post back its fixed :)!