Sign in with
Your question

Multiple monitors, software startup to predetermined monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2012 12:07:08 PM

I want to connect 3 monitors to my dual core AMD Phenom. The left monitor will be used mostly for multimedia purposes, mp3 software, etc. The right monitor will be for email, text chatting (Skype, QQ, MSN) and the middle monitor will be used for my "real work", i.e. editing and rendering video, editing graphics, games, preparing Powerpoint stuff, etc.

My mobo does not have a built in graphics card. I am thinking of buying one "pretty good" card for the middle monitor and an average dual head card for monitors 1 and 3 (I think less taxing on the graphics processor. I have read a number of posts on how to install these. My question here: Can I set up the pc so that, for example, Skype always opens on monitor #3, in the right hand side, VLC always opens on Monitor #1 using the left 2/3 of the screen, , Firefox always opens in the middle monitor on the left 1/3 of the screen, etc? Opening and resizing these programs is a bit of a drag - I usually have 12-15 open at one time.

My OS - I am using XP pro now. I have another computer that I have set up Linux Mint on - I am starting to feel comfortable using that. I will consider changing to Win 7 pro 64 bit, or a 64 bit version of Linux if necessary to make it work.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 8, 2012 1:24:28 PM

getting this to work in Windows should not be a problem; however, the same cannot necessarily be said about Linux it will take a lot of tweaking due to driver support
m
l
August 9, 2012 11:40:33 AM

Thanks! Are there more formal words to use to describe what I am wanting to do? I want to google and become a little more familiar with it before I start spending the green stuff.
m
l
!