Please help me out!

HenryHealy

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hello, I'm new to the forums here. I have just ordered my parts for a PC that I'm building. I watched a tutorial from Newegg on YouTube. It's a 3 part series. In the 3rd video, on one of the builds (the one with the MSI graphics card), there is a black frame around the screen because he plugged in a HDMI cable. When he downloaded the drivers for the graphics card, they went away. I'm going to be using a HD monitor with a HDMI cable but I don't have a dedicated graphics card, I'm just using the integrated Intel ones. Will I get these black bars as well and if so how do I get rid of them if I don't have a graphics card. Is it because he plugged the cable into the graphics card? I'm a little bit confused and could use some help!

Here is the link to the 3rd video on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Thanks,
Henry

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
if you do get them, they should go away by downloading the driver for the integrated graphics on the motherboard. the motherboard should come with a cd that has the drivers on it, just install all of them. go to the device manager and make sure that all of the necessary drivers are installed and you should be good to go

rockstar_7

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Dear Henry,

When you use a graphics card -- by plugging in HDMI or DVI cables -- the first thing the computer does on boot is, load the default driver. This default driver has so-called 'black bars' because it displays the screen at a lower resolution than the screen as it does not function the way its intended and requires an immediate driver update in order to function fully.

However, this info is not relevant to you as you will not using a dedicated Graphics card. You will be utilizing the onboard graphics by plugging the cable into the onboard graphics. The onboard graphics too, requires a driver update, but may not show these 'black bars' as the default driver is, well.. standardized.

So, i can safely tell you not to worry about the 'black bars.' However, if you feel the urge to... you can simply run windows update which automatically download drivers for your systems hardware and then installs them.

Hope i helped :p
Computer-savvy

rockstar_7

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

You should refrain from using the CD. It is best to get the latest drivers from the motherboard's manufacturer's web site. Drivers should always be up to date, so.. always download them or let windows update handle it.