Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Strangle Situation many problems details inside!

Last response: in Components
February 11, 2013 2:14:21 PM

Hello,
I have a old Dell XPS 420 that needs a little help.

All the items are stock other than the PSU which is a OCZ 500 WATT and GF9800 GT Palit.

Details:
One day I turned on my pc and everything is fine, I noticed that the GFX card needs updating with latest drivers.
Install went great and I carried on untill I clicked AVG. Then all hell broke lose.
A white screen error or a freeze happened.
I restarted and cleaned off the new drivers thinking it was the case and replaced them with an older version. Reboot to find the same thing this time a green screen freeze.

Fast forward 8 hours later of either a green screen/blue but not BSOD and a gray screen once, I managed to get a BSOD just after POST.

The BSOD was saying about bad memory management with a AVG file been at the stop point.
So I deleted AVG and that file and ran a windows memory test. Everything came back fine and I restarted.
Boom same problem just a different BSOD IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUAL.

These blue screens happened at random just after installing new video drivers & after countless hours of trying to fix the diver problems.

So in the end I replaced the GFX card all seemed well till I powered down the machine late at night.
I remember before sleeping I head some sort of crackling or something that I can only assume that sounded like a static discharge.

The next morning I tried to fire up my computer. No Post one long error beep and a code 3 which after checking on the dell website it appears the CPU has died.

What the hell has happened ? Can anyone tell me if it was the PSU or what that's caused a surge and killed off everything in there?

Help required !
February 11, 2013 5:37:58 PM

Sorry for double post but:

It gets better: The damn thing now works! I had to test the psu fan, which needs the pc to be rigged up to it. I wasn't sure if it was spinning.
The only thing I did was connect the power to the MoBo and used a different CPU power wire.
And now it works... Solved I guess till it dies again..

EXTRA info the only thing I can't understand is why has this happened?
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 7:16:33 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
a c 78 ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 7:17:04 PM

I can close this thread if that's what you want and it can be either reopened or you can post a new one if you wish.
!