Sign in with
Your question

New Build Won't Power ON

Last response: in Components
February 11, 2013 2:15:10 PM

Hello,
I just completed my first build. 3770k, Sabertooth V77, Obsidian 550d, OCZ power supply. All my connections look good and when i turn on the power I can see the led light on on the motherboard but at this point as I would expect everything else is quiet, no fans etc. When I push the power button on the front of the case, nothing happens. I've rechecked the front panel connections and they look good. Unfortunately in my eagerness to do my first build i did not test the power prior to installing everything, live and learn. How can i tell if this is a button or button connection issue or could it possibly be something else.

More about : build power

a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 2:44:25 PM

howardknauer said:
Hello,
I just completed my first build. 3770k, Sabertooth V77, Obsidian 550d, OCZ power supply. All my connections look good and when i turn on the power I can see the led light on on the motherboard but at this point as I would expect everything else is quiet, no fans etc. When I push the power button on the front of the case, nothing happens. I've rechecked the front panel connections and they look good. Unfortunately in my eagerness to do my first build i did not test the power prior to installing everything, live and learn. How can i tell if this is a button or button connection issue or could it possibly be something else.

check the bios rev ofthe mb..it be the last 4 digits on the end of the ser# if it the old 0906 bios use the usb flashback to flash the bios to the newest rev. may be the bios is to old and missing the cpu/ram code. if the cpu or ram red led is on. make sure on the top edge of the mb the 8 pin pci power is connected. you used the 8 pin pci cable not a 6 by 2 cable. the other misses is a missing standoff or the mb is shorting out on the i\o shield.
February 11, 2013 3:13:17 PM

Not sure why you're suggesting the bios as an issue since i cant get the machine to power on. I am pretty sure that i have the right connections since my psu, which is a modular unit, came with three connections that were non-modular, the 24 pin cable, an 8 pin cable, and a 4x4 pin cable. The 24 pin and the 8 pin seem to connect seemlessly to the power supply.

I should also add that not only is the power button not working but the front case panel has no led or power button light. I wasn't able to jump the power pins.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 3:22:17 PM

i have the same mb and it wont post if it missing the cpu code. on the mb does the power good green led come on and stay on??
a bad power supply or doa one might not give you the power good led or it will blink or strobe. if you have a volt meter take theps out a green wire jumper it and read the voltage outputs.
February 11, 2013 3:30:35 PM

thanks for your reply. the power light comes on green and stays solidly green.
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 7:30:46 PM

the mb is acting as it should with 5v power good from the ps. i would unplug the 24 and 8 pin atx power and put a paper clip in the green to black gound wire in the 24 pin atx if the power supply is not doa it should spin the fan on the power supply. if you have a bad case switch or wrong pin connections..you can pull all the cable and just toutch the power on pins. if the ps is good the mb should turn on if it not a bios code issue.(old bios). the mb will also not post if it grounded out..if you think that happen..pull it from the case..and try it on top of a box..bread board it. also check that the cpu heat sink not crushing the cpu or the back plate could be shorting out the mb.
February 18, 2013 4:29:00 AM

howardknauer said:
Hello,

Well, I want to thank you all for responding. Based ona suggestion from a tech at microcenter, i reassembled the components outside the case and the power button wrked fine. I then reassembled the components back in the box, one by one, and it all also worked quite well. The only thing that i can think of is that the power cable was not fully seated, but all is now working.
February 18, 2013 11:13:29 AM

good to hear congrats on your first successful build...rarely goes according to plan :) 
!