Help&Advice with $650 Gaming/Misc Build!

HigginsHEre

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Introduction: This build has been in the process of revision for some time and after numerous forum posts, this is my build and the questions that follow. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this post, and even more so for those who answer one or more of my questions.

Capability: I would like to be able to game at decent settings at around 1920x1080 resolution, but I'm not expecting super-mega-ulta. I would love an efficient and fast experience, especially with multitasking many Chrome tabs, Office documents, various 3D programs/games. I'm no PC gamer, but I would love to try and carry on with it if I enjoy so.

What I desire: What my budget allows me. If you think that there's a part that I could hold out on for now and buy later, that room can be made in my budget for the purpose of either saving money or leaving space for more and/or better parts.

Budget: Ideally, $650 dollars (or less, hehe). If you really think that I should, I could pitch in another 50, maybe 70 bucks.

Brand preference: I don't have any brand preference, I like and want what ever will get the job done.

Overclocking: I don't know, for this is also one of my questions: Should I care about overclocking? What is it exactly? Should one do it?

Purchase and build date: I'm going to be buying all the parts that I want at one time and ideally around late October through early November. I'd build it within the month of December.

Extra: I have everything but a monitor and if you would like to give me advice with one, I'd appreciate that too. My budget is ideally $150 or less but I'll go over if I have to. This is what I've come up with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009255&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
What do you think? I want one that's good for just about all the capabilities I listed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($116.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($37.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $657.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Questions:

1a) Should I drop the SSD? Keep it? Would a 60 gb one suffice for OS only + a few favorite programs? Or again, should I drop it, save up and buy one later? Which one do you recommend?

1b) Once I do (if I choose to wait) get an SSD, if I wanted to use it to boot up Windows, I would have to restore the OS, right?

2) What changes should I make if I want to overclock?

3) If not the one I have, what heatsink & fan/cpu cooler should I get for around 25 dollars? 10 more dollars extra if I must.

4) If I used the stock cpu cooler and wanted to later use an aftermarket cooler, would I have to completely disconnect everything and take out the motherboard? If so, would it be worth it?

5) I've heard a lot about coolers getting in the way of ram and or other parts, would this be a problem for me?

6) Should I worry about any of these parts listed or any parts that are recommended being out of stock at one point?

7) If I wanted a mouse for moderate gaming, what would you suggest? Around $20 - $40 dollars. (Don't include in PC budget)

8a) What about a head set? Could I get a decent one for around $40, or should I just save up? Are there ones that are multi-platform (360, PS3, PC)? (Don't include in PC budget)

8b) If I should save up, which one should I get and at which price point? (Same with gaming mouse)

9) Are there any other parts I might want to add to my build now and/or in the future?

Solution
That's decent. I'd skip the SSD on a build with that tight of a budget. And I certainly wouldn't get an Intel drive as I think they're incredibly overrated. I had one and had nothing but problems with it.

For that kind of budget I'd suggest this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card:...

g-unit1111

Titan
That's decent. I'd skip the SSD on a build with that tight of a budget. And I certainly wouldn't get an Intel drive as I think they're incredibly overrated. I had one and had nothing but problems with it.

For that kind of budget I'd suggest this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $654.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Better CPU, better PSU, GPU stays the same but everything else I picked is quality.

Solution
micro center has beter price on cpu. the 3540 is 149.00 and the i3-3220 is 99.00 on a budget build you can save a few dollars by not buying the k chips.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130647
79.00 at 15.00 rebate. I have this board and an i3-3220 on a home server i built for a friend. mb is well built.
the other parts in your first build are fine. i would use the antec case as it more of a gaming case. you also dont need 1800 speed ram your not going to see any real speed bost over the cheaper 1600 lp ram.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's not always an option for everybody though. Plus you have to pick the CPU up in store as opposed to ordering it online.

HigginsHEre

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I very much appreciate your response, but I noticed that you posted your response before I was done with the full post. If there's anything new that you would like to comment on or reply to, I would appreciate it very much. Either way, thank you and have a great day! c: