Sign in with
Your question

Question about PSU durability

Last response: in Components
February 11, 2013 3:29:01 PM

Hey everyone!

I've had a Chieftec CTF-650-14cs 650W power supply for quite some time, I don't remember exactly how long but I think for like 5 or 6 years or even longer. During that time it has run a Pentium 4+hd 4850 system for the first few years, briefly a dual core system, an i5 2500k+hd 6870 system for about a year and now i5 2500k+gtx580 since then.

I haven't noticed anything wrong about the PSU but I haven't checked the voltage ratings for quite some time. I'm a bit concerned and I've heard rumors that PSUs might send uncontrollable power surges when failing but also read that they should be protected against such events. Even then I doubt that it's completely foolproof system. So if anyone happens to know more about this I'd love to know, should I buy a new PSU before this one burns out or am I better of using it until my PC won't boot anymore.

Thanks.
February 11, 2013 7:29:20 PM

6 Years is a great length of time to get out of a power supply, it should last that long, but often they don't. I'd say you could carry on using that power supply for a little while or so. But try to get a new 650W PSU fairly soon, you'll save money in the long term as PSU efficiency has come a long way in the past 6 years, just make sure its a well trusted supplier. It's certainly not worth waiting until your computer doesn't boot as this could be due to your motherboard or another part failing due to a power surge.
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2013 7:48:27 PM

Hi :) 

I sell Psus in my shops...

People ask me HOW LONG does a PSU last, quite often...

My standard answer is 5 to 10 years....

And if it AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT....

No reason to buy a new one until yours gives a problem...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 12, 2013 10:05:20 AM

+1 mr.bret

February 17, 2013 4:29:26 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it is one of the worst mottos to have when it comes to PSUs, if it does break it could quite easily take out your whole system.
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 4:31:49 PM

henrypenton said:
If it ain't broke don't fix it is one of the worst mottos to have when it comes to PSUs, if it does break it could quite easily take out your whole system.

Hi :) 

Aliens COULD turn up but its pretty unlikely...

Psus are generally reliable...

All the best Brett :) 
February 17, 2013 5:35:17 PM

Yeah I totally agree with you when you say a PSU should last you 5 - 10 years but he said he's had his PSU at least 5 years, and PSUs have come a long way since then. Like I said it's worth trying to get a little bit more out of it, but why risk your entire system to something that costs 60-70 pounds.
!