Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA NVS 3100M Display Driver Crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2012 2:58:17 PM

Hi all. I have a Dell Latitude E6510 with an NVIDIA NVS 3100M graphics card. Sometimes I get an error while using Windows that says the following:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

The event error code according to Event Viewer is 4101.

I have already tried the basic stuff such as reinstalling the drivers, OS, updating to the latest drivers etc.

There are a couple of theories that I think may be causing the problem but I am not sure so hopefully the community will be able to help me pinpoint the problem.

Theory 1: Hardware Problem, the graphics card is faulty and needs to be sent to DELL for repair.
Theory 2: Another piece of hardware is conflicting with the display driver to cause said problem.

For theory 2, the only piece of hardware that isn't stock is the memory modules. Originally it came with 4GB of memory, but I upgraded it to 8GB. However I already used Memtest86+ to test the upgraded memory modules and it passed the test.

Here is the link for the upgraded memory if it would help at all:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So I'm not exactly sure what could be the problem. Hopefully the community will be able to help me pinpoint the culprit! Thanks in advance!!
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 3:38:24 PM

Hi,

Try using the computer without the new memory to see if you get the problem. If the memory has different speed/timing or voltage, you could get that kind of problems.

If not the error message is clearly related to the video card / driver. Maybe roll back to the original driver.

If you still get problems you will need to send the laptop for repairs if it's still under warranty.
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:41:38 PM

dextermat said:
Hi,

Try using the computer without the new memory to see if you get the problem. If the memory has different speed/timing or voltage, you could get that kind of problems.

If not the error message is clearly related to the video card / driver. Maybe roll back to the original driver.

If you still get problems you will need to send the laptop for repairs if it's still under warranty.

yeah okay i'll try that out then... its gonna suck not having 8GB of memory lolz...

by the way, how would i be able to find out that information you mentioned on both the memory and the graphics card? the speed/timing or voltage information that you spoke of? thanks!
m
l
!