Computer crashes while gaming

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hi guys, I have been experiencing this problem since i built my computer. When I first built my computer sometimes, all of the sudden the screen would turn greenish with lines of all different colors with flashing rectangular shapes and when that happened, the speakers would make a sound. I would have to press the power button to shut it down and power it back on. It went away for awhile but now I just got COD MW3 for it and now it crashes the same way almost every time I play. However, it crashes randomly. (For example, I might just start a mission and it will crash or I may finish a couple before it crashes) My cpu is known to be a little hot but I do not think it is the problem. I don't think i have the latest Intel HD 4000 drivers yet so could that be a problem? Or do you guys think that the hot cpu is the culprit? There is no error codes or messages so i don't know what the problem is. Note cpu is about 60-80 degrees C when gaming. I am getting a GTX 670 FTW soon so if it's the drivers i will just stop playing until i have the GTx 670 with new drivers.

Solution
David_12

You are not alone. I bought and put together the computer

shuttle z77r5
16M

exactly same problem both VGA and HDMI with the integrated HD 4000. Randomly green screen with blocks on HDMI and reboot randomly if I use VGA. I applied the latest BIOS with SZ77R000.110 Release Date:2012/07/10. Same problem.

I have another computer running 3770K with ASUS MB, no problem.

I checked the bios log. You can see they mentioned about issue with 3770K video. So I concluded that this is a MB/BOIS/CPU version/HD 4000 problem. I fixed the problem with a Nvidia Card. My son has been on steam for past 3 hours without problem. I will keep you inform if that is the fix. No wonder I got the Z77R5 $80 off .... not enough to buy a good...

cala_01

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
well if ur cpu is moderately hot, i bet ur gpu is hotter. I would say check first if ur graphic card is overheating.
Otherwise, does this only happen when gaming? This might be a 2d/3d clock conflict. Try the game again in windowed mode and see if that works better then full screen. If it does, you can put a fix rate on the clock by using a controller program.

Hope this helps

The way I read this, you're using the integrated HD4000 graphics in your CPU. What PSU do you have? With no discrete card [yet], you won't need high wattage, but high quality is always essential.
If you're using the integrated HD4000, then yes you will need the latest drivers.

How are you measuring the temperatures?
If you're using something like Speedfan it'll record only the current temerature so if you're not using Alt-tab to get out of the game, there will be a delay while you quit and the game returns you to the desktop, which will result in a temperature reading of between 10 and 20c lower than the true under load figure.
BTW 60-80c seems a little hot, not dangerously so, but hot nonetheless so you might want to check the CPU cooler is fully attached.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

motherboard/case: shuttle z77r5
Cpu: I7 3770K
No dedicated graphics card
8gb Corsair vengence 1600mhz ram
Boot drive OCZ vertex 3 60 gb
storage drive: WD caviar black 1tb

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I used realtemp and coretemp when i start the games, i reset min and max values and every so oftern i would check and see what they were. thats how i got 60-80

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
My PSU is the one that comes with the shuttle (I don't know the brand) But on youtube i saw that it can take a radeon 7970 just fine so i don't think the PSU is the issue

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012

It's that hot because the GPU and the CPU are the same thing.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

umm i have seen people play MW3 on HD4000 just fine on a higher res than i play on. It's probably the drivers so i will update them

There is likely more than one PSU available with that case, not all of them able to handle powerful graphics cards. Still, since you are not using any discrete card, power shouldn't be the issue. It may well be a heat issue. You may need to remove the CPU cooler, reapply thermal paste, and reseat it.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Are you sure it's the heat issue and not drivers? Because I ran prime95 for 10 min and it was fine. temps got to 90 (when i'm playing they never go past 80) Anyways i'm was going to reseat the heatsink anyways cause of the heat.

cala_01

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
80-90 is maybe not crash mode, but its surely artifact mode. So im still going for overheat. You will reload the drivers so that's good.
Just check again after u cleaned the heatsink and the card, make absolutely sure its not overheat first. Did you try playing windowed mode and not full screen? Does that make a difference?

cala_01

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
any problems while not playing games, like browsing is ok?
also any problems if you play windowed mode and not full screen?
can you check the voltage your card is getting, also maybe post the clock rates of ur GPU just in case.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

umm i still get problems when i play windows although i think i can play longer before it crashes in windowed ( it seems like it). browsing is ok. i ran 3dmark and it also crashed. lemme get back to you on the voltage.