Sign in with
Your question

NIC Suddenly Causing Audio Breakup

February 11, 2013 7:21:17 PM

I've used the same D-Link Wireless G card with my home recording rig for years, but when my live audio started to break up recently, the only solution I could find was to disable the card in XP's Device Manager. I've switched the G card out with a new ASUS wireless N (PCI-E), but the problem persists: when I'm recording or monitoring live music, it will break up badly unless I've disabled the NIC in Device Manager. Side note: with the G card, audio broke up while just listening to music. With the new N card I can remain connected and listen to tunes at the same time, so it's just live audio that sucks, which is a weird difference.

I've read that this could be due to a high latency value being assigned to the network card, but I can't find a way to view or change latency values for my PC's devices. It makes sense to think that the NIC is hogging resources and disrupting my audio (I use a Firebox), and I don't need to be online when I'm playing music anyway, but it's a very annoying issue and I don't know why it would have started suddenly this way. I tried changing Priority levels in my task manager's list of open processes, but that didn't help either.

I've updated the drivers and the firmware for my Firebox and network card - no good. I also don't find any BIOS settings that are helpful, even though I do find that my Gigabyte board's BIOS is very flexible in comparison to that of other PCs I've worked with and owned. I have not made any updates to my mb in a long while and I can if that might fix the problem, but I don't want to go on a wild goose chase and end up causing more problems.

Does anyone have ideas? Oh - and I also find no IRQ or I/O conflicts...tried that as well, but maybe I'm not looking properly.
!