Status
Not open for further replies.

elitherabbit

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
A bit of a doozy, so just bear with me.

For about 2 years I've had my PC that I built with an AMD Phenom ii Quad core @ 3.4GHz(?) with a Corsair H80, GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 RT motherboard, GTX 460, 8 GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance and 4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill Ripjaws, both at 1600 (yes I know it's bad to run two completely different brands of RAM, but it's worked for about 6 months with absolutely no problems, even after overclocking), and Windows 7 64Bit home premium.

On saturday I ordered a new ASUS GTX 670, ASUS Maximus V Gene motherboard, and an Intel i5 2500k, along with a new 1TB hard drive. This is where it started to go downhill...
I got everything set up, replaced the old mobo with the new one, put in the i5, put a dab of thermal paste, attached the H80, put in the RAM (but just the 8GB Vengeance just to make sure it wouldn't conflict for some reason), put in the GTX 670, and attached my old hard drive (500GB Western Digital, not the new one)

Every time it started up, where it got to the "Starting Windows" screen, right as the little specks of color appear to form the Windows logo, I get a blue screen and the PC restarts, and asks me if I would either like to start Windows normally, or try System Repair, because Windows has recovered from an unexpected error. Starting normally just loops back with the BSOD, and System Repair never works. I also did the memory check and the Vengeance is working fine, no corruption or anything.

Then we turned off the PC, took out the old hard drive, put in the new 1TB, and put in the Windows 7 Install disk that we had used before and did a clean install.

Originally everything worked. Windows booted up fine, and I could get to the desktop and whatnot. But when I went to install driver 301.42 from Nvidia's website, after it rebooted, I would just get a black screen after the Starting Windows screen finished, where normally it would ask me to sign in with my password. So I uninstalled that and tried the drivers that came with the card, no dice. Then I tried the 304.79 beta drivers from Nvidia's website, still no good, black screen after the Starting Windows screen, BUT I can get into safe mode, which is how I'm typing this right now.

So I tried putting my old Gigabyte GTX 460 back in, and voila, it works perfectly, with drivers installed or uninstalled. At this point I'm starting to think it's a driver issue between the 301.42 drivers and the GTX 670, but at the same time I have no clue. I'll update as I fiddle around with it...

Also, as a side note, I CAN get to the desktop fine with the GTX 670 if I uninstall the drivers in safe mode.

TL;DR: Got a new Mobo, CPU and GPU, get a black screen after the starting windows screen, tried almost everything and still nothing.

1st round - You stuck in an old HD with windows on it, loaded with hardware drivers for an AMD box and don't understand why the Intel hardware wouldn't boot using the AMD board's drivers ? Yeah, obvious now isn't it :)

2nd round - not sure where ya went wrong but......

1. Disconnect the old HD, connect the new to SATA 0 port.
2. Use install disk to format HD and install windows fresh
3. Install MoBo Utilities and Drivers.
4. Run Windows Update till it stops, skip optional updates but write down any hardware drivers it says you need.
5. Download and install latest drivers from MoBo manufacturer's web site.....may want to update BIOS also.
6. Download and install other hardware drivers.
7. Download and install GFX card drivers.

BTW, why a micro ATX MoBo ?

rockstar_7

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
So, the 460 works with the new Mobo and the 670 did not. Since the driver installation kills the 670, which worked using the default driver.

Oh. and im sure the Blue screen error states "Display driver" as the issue in the message somewhere. I've experienced it before. (Very recently in fact).

If you wanna take a close look at the Blue screen message, just to be sure, Disable 'Reboot on system boot failure.' and take a peek

Anyhow, Since its under Warranty, You should just RMA the graphics card now. :)

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Guy, you're all over the map with this. I don't know where to begin. You have too many variables going on at once. With all that you are doing, leave your old system alone and get a new case and just start fresh. At the very least limit your changes to as few parts as possible. Get that working, then go from there. Going from AMD to Intel will no doubt require a fresh install of the OS.

elitherabbit

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Most of this project is a learning experience, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try to boot off of my old hard drive :p

I just installed a new copy of Windows on the new hard drive after I formatted it, and now it's installing the motherboard utilities & drivers.

Also, I chose a Micro-ATX because it was really the only one that had PCI-E 3.0, and was black and red (which I'm kinda hoping to have as a color theme for my case). Is there really a difference between Micro-ATX and ATX, other than the size?

Well, I'm pretty sure both cards work with the motherboard just fine, because without the new drivers, I can use the GTX 670 in BIOS, safe mode and normal windows, but after I install the new 301.42 drivers I can no longer boot into normal windows, but it can still access the BIOS and safe mode. I took a video of the BSOD and paused it on the screen and it didn't show an error. It just said that I should run a spyware removal program to check for viruses, yada yada yada, but at the bottom it just says "TECHNICAL INFORMATION: **** STOP: 0x000000000000" and a seemingly random string of very long numbers after that. If what Jack recommended doesn't work, then I think I'm going to RMA the card.

I'm not going to spend $1500 on all brand-new parts when it's completely unnecessary... And I'm doing a fresh new Windows install again on the new hard drive, I originally tried to boot on my old hard drive with the new components just to see if it would work, but it obviously didn't.

elitherabbit

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Alright... I put in my GTX 670, wiped my new HDD, did a clean install of Windows 7, and for about the past hour or so I've been installing all of my drivers (MoBo, keyboard, mouse, etc.) EXCEPT for the new GTX driver. When I was looking at the newest beta driver (304.79, found here http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/46279), it mentioned a fix that said "Fixed an issue that led to a black screen after driver installation." So I'm creating a restore point and I'm going to try the driver and see if it works. If not, then I'm going to call ASUS and RMA the card :\

Update: Didn't work, I still get a black screen on startup. Calling ASUS support, and if they don't have any fixes, I'm going to RMA the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS