Sign in with
Your question

Quad core or go for more?

Last response: in CPUs
February 11, 2013 7:58:01 PM

I'm about to upgrade and was wondering if I should stay with a quad or go for a six core? I'm having trouble finding information that is relevant to the past year concerning six and eight core gaming. What games utilize the six and eight core processors or soon to be using it? I mostly play BF3, gta and rift.

CPU in mind:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

While I'm at it, how do you feel about this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks

edit: Also what is the difference in these timings
9-9-9-24
9-9-9-24-2n

More about : quad core

a b à CPUs
February 11, 2013 8:02:56 PM

FX quad core isn't all that great, I'd get at least hexacore, especially considering you're playing BF3.
New consoles will sport modified AMD octocores at lower clocks so if you want to be sure your PC will game good for a long time (apart from upgrading GPU some time down the road), consider getting FX-8320.

Edit: The board looks solid.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2013 8:04:54 PM

Most games are not coded to take advantage of even 4 cores yet, however, BF3 I believe is one of the rare ones and multiplayer can take advantage of up to 8 cores if I remember correctly.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2013 8:37:56 PM

The 6300 is the bang for the buck CPU of the moment. Reviews show it easily overclocking to a point where it can match the i5 3570.
Sure the 3570 if its a K series chip can OC as well, however you shouldn't really need much more performance that a stock 3570 for a few years anyway. Plus you have 2 extra cores for any trans coding work you might want to do. Its a pretty sweet balance right now.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2013 10:26:39 PM

mactronix said:
The 6300 is the bang for the buck CPU of the moment. Reviews show it easily overclocking to a point where it can match the i5 3570.

I'd love to see a review of this. Other than this, disable CMT or whatever so you effectively have a triple core and per core performance will be MUCH better.
m
l
February 16, 2013 4:24:48 AM

I ordered the fx8350 yesterday. I also ordered the 990fx E4 board and then noticed the Extreme 9 version and cancelled my order, now i got wait 5 days for refund.. ah well, I just hope the deal still exists by then.. :sarcastic: 

Whats better memory for OC? corsair vengeance 1600 or g.skill ripjaw 1600?

Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2013 2:48:15 PM

I'd go for Crucial honestly. They never fail on me, very reliable. RAM is RAM, brand doesn't affect speed.
m
l
!