Can't install driver to HD 6850

Handur

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hello!

I simply can't install any driver to my 6850, if i try to install, it seems ok but after I restart I can only see my desktop's wallpapper in a strange resized way and nothing else happens. No icons no start button, nothing. I can't even see my mouse, and if I press ctrl+alt+del, the screen goes black. I had this exact same driver before, but i reinstalled windows so it's now a clean one but I can't see any solution. I tried to install older drivers, tried to install through device manager (windows just don't get any driver information from thoseinf files), so I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Is your computer home-built ?

Is HD6850 an upgrade to your system ? If so, what was the previous gfx card ?

Anyway, do the driver install the old way:

Open Device Manager.

Find your Display Adapter.

Open Properties of the Display Adapter and click Driver tab.

Click Update Driver....

It will ask you two questions, whose wordings I do not quite remember.

Choose the option at the bottom. Let me choose the driver... or similar wording and show the path to the driver file folder. Do not forget to put a checkmark at the box "Include subfolders..", if it is unchecked. Driver file folder is explained below:

Now when you had clicked the big .exe driver file you downloaded from AMD site, it must have extracted to C:\AMD\..... where C: is your Windows drive.

In this directory, there are folders named \Packages\Drivers\Display\W76 or W76_A.

The driver is in one of the folders depending on your Windows version and bit count, e.g. 32-bit or 64-bit.

Hope the above helps.

Handur

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks, but it's still not working I did everything. I guess I'll try to install another windows (pro or something).

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It has nothing to do with Windows version. But a clean installation of even the same Windows version may solve a huge number of problems for sure.

So I understand your PC is running O.K. on Windows drivers.

Now try to do the following if you do not want to re-install Windows immediately:

Open a command prompt with admin rights.

type in " set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 " without quotes.

type in " start devmgmt.msc" without quotes.

When Device Manager opens, click Appearance tab and click Show hidden devices.

Expand Display adapters. Please check if there are any grayed-out adapters there.

If there are any, open Properties of those grayed-out adapters and click Remove. Also check Remove drivers for this device.

Otherwise, click your Display Adapter and click remove. Now you must restart your PC.

After this you may start to try installing the AMD drivers again.

I know this one.
What has happened is that the main display has been switched to another screen (the video card can run 2 or 3 screens)
The icons are being displayed on a monitor that is non existent.
Your main monitor has become the second monitor. That's why you don't see the icons or start button.
Plug in a second monitor, or change the port that the monitor is plugged into.
(there is more than 1 monitor port on the video card)

Now go into the video card software screen settings.
Change the main display to the alternate monitor port.

Sometimes you can start the computer in safe mode and do this with one screen.

pasanwc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
Run Driver Sweeper in safe mode and remove previous ATI/AMD or Nviia drivers and reinstall the new catalyst drivers again when restarted.

This is a SETTINGS problem, not a driver problem.

NEVER load "sweepers" "cleaners" or "fix it tools" into your computer.
AVOID ALL free security or free "fix it" software, downloaded from the internet.
you have been warned.
At least 80% of free software that promises to "fix" computers is FAKE. It is designed to infect your computer and steal your personal information and passwords.
you have been warned.