Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 must click multiple times to get links to open

Last response: in Windows 7
February 14, 2012 1:33:09 PM

Hopefully this is in the right place..

Did as much of a search as it would allow me to do.

Example:
Click on link A, works.
back out to orig page
Click link B, goes to link A.
repeat back out, click on link B, goes to A.
Back out, just click anywhere in the window and not on a tab, goes to link A.
Right click, goes to link A.
Don't touch anything, goes to link A.
Mouse scroll, goes to link A.

Click within Windows desktop (windowed mode), windows desktop does not respond for multiple clicks, when finally does respond, former primary window border blinks many times and becomes primary window once again. Open another browser, in this case Maxthon, IE pops over and becomes primary window once again.

To add to the hell, if no internet windows are open and attempt to click on start button, multiple clicks required for access of hidden taskbar. Once start button is clicked, multiple clicks required to allow access to start menu and multiple clicks required per selection.

If IE or other browser is open and those are primary window, hidden taskbar is inaccessible unless multiple clicks to desktop or primary window is done.

Honestly, I have no idea what happened. I put the computer in sleep mode when not in use (I do shut down but not if I will be using shortly thereafter) and a few days ago this started happening. I tried system restore, no help. I just did sfc /scannow and nothing missing. I don't know what else to try. I'm not as tech savvy as everyone else but I can build my own system with no problems.
Google searched don't account to much but here's to hoping someone knows wtf is going on and can help.

Running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 9:09:30 AM

58type2 said:
Hopefully this is in the right place..

Did as much of a search as it would allow me to do.

Example:
Click on link A, works.
back out to orig page
Click link B, goes to link A.
repeat back out, click on link B, goes to A.
Back out, just click anywhere in the window and not on a tab, goes to link A.
Right click, goes to link A.
Don't touch anything, goes to link A.
Mouse scroll, goes to link A.

Click within Windows desktop (windowed mode), windows desktop does not respond for multiple clicks, when finally does respond, former primary window border blinks many times and becomes primary window once again. Open another browser, in this case Maxthon, IE pops over and becomes primary window once again.

To add to the hell, if no internet windows are open and attempt to click on start button, multiple clicks required for access of hidden taskbar. Once start button is clicked, multiple clicks required to allow access to start menu and multiple clicks required per selection.

If IE or other browser is open and those are primary window, hidden taskbar is inaccessible unless multiple clicks to desktop or primary window is done.

Honestly, I have no idea what happened. I put the computer in sleep mode when not in use (I do shut down but not if I will be using shortly thereafter) and a few days ago this started happening. I tried system restore, no help. I just did sfc /scannow and nothing missing. I don't know what else to try. I'm not as tech savvy as everyone else but I can build my own system with no problems.
Google searched don't account to much but here's to hoping someone knows wtf is going on and can help.

Running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

try other browsers
February 20, 2012 7:53:55 PM

I use other browsers.

If there are no browsers even in use, ie all closed out the problem still happens within windows folders, desktop, taskbar, start menu, clicking files/pictures, etc etc.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 8:19:52 PM

58type2 said:
I use other browsers.

If there are no browsers even in use, ie all closed out the problem still happens within windows folders, desktop, taskbar, start menu, clicking files/pictures, etc etc.

Scanned for infections with AV ? Tried Malwarebytes and rootkit revealer ?

Doing a restore could have just put an infection bck on, if one existed to begin with. have Win CD ? Repair install ?
March 1, 2012 7:32:50 PM

As odd as it may seem I think I may have inadvertantly fixed it.

I have a quadcore processor and it has a core unlocker. Well, I got tired of it fogetting there were 4 cores as it would keep booting up with 3 or none so I turned the core unlocker off so it would actually work. I guess that is about the time it started screwing up. Why? I have no idea but that's what it did.

So, I ended up attempting a 'stupid fix' and unlocked the cores again.

Everything now works fine. I don't know how something hardware related would make software be effected but whatever.

Thanks anyway folks. If it replicates I will be back.
!