Seasonic PSU whine when off

jepherz

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
It also whines when its on, but that doesn't bother me, it's pretty quiet when the fans are on, but at night it gets annoying. I tried going into the BIOS, didn't change anything in power management, mobo is a few years old and might not have the features newer ones have(?). The PSU doesn't whine when in the BIOS except when I get to the screen with the time and date on it, the PSU will whine, but when I scroll down until the time/date is off the screen the PSU stops whining, same if I leave that screen and return to the main menu. Any idea what's going on?

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
The noise you're hearing may be coming from a transformer. Even though the computer is turned off, there is a circuit that remains powered as long as the PSU cable is plugged in and the rear switch is in the On position.

The lazy solution is to turn off the switch on the power supply after you have shut down the computer.

The better solution is to install a different power supply.

jepherz

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
my old psu didn't do that. The reviews for this PSU seems to say this happens alot. I'm actually to lazy to flip off that switch all the time, that's gonna be a huge hassle. Is this something with newer PSUs in the market today?

I don't think it is anything with newer psu's, I think you might have
a defect in yours. I leave my Seasonic on a lot after shutting
my PC off & don't have that issue.