Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't Decide Which Graphics Card To Pick-$250 Budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2012 7:34:33 PM

Hi, And thank you for reading my post. Well, I am currently into building my first Gaming PC, but cannot decide which graphics card to pick. My budget for the graphics card is $250. Here is my build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e68P
I just do not think that is a very good graphics card, but then again, I am kind of new to this stuff. Anyway, heres some more information:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible, probably this week.

BUDGET RANGE:$250.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Minecraft, Minecraft, Minecraft), Web Browsing, and Graphics Designing.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Well, The one that I am thinking about is the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G. Power Supply will be a Corsair 600W.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e68P

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any Site. As long as it ships to the US. I prefeer the cheapest selling site.

PARTS PREFERENCES:Whichever is best.

OVERCLOCKING: If it will be better and is in my price range, yes. If not, no.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:Same as above^^

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I currently did not buy a monitor, and am not until i completely finish my build. I dont know yet, but I will probably use an HD 30 Inch TV for now.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am new to this stuff, so please help as much as you can. Your answers are greatly appreciated.
August 8, 2012 7:37:21 PM

One More Thing: Will This Be A Good Computer Build Once I Decide The Graphics Card? Thank You All!
August 8, 2012 8:06:16 PM

Aw man, No answers. Come on guys! Please help me out!
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:10:47 PM

The 7850 is the best at 250$. The 560TI would be the alternative coming in closer to 220$, but it's not as powerful, and uses more electricity; as long as you don't mind paying the extra, go for the 7850.

The build looks pretty good. Nothing I would jump on to change.

I suppose you could add an SSD if you have the budget. A 120GB drive can be found often below 100$ and makes a great boot+app drive. Use mklink/SteamMover to store a few games there as well.
August 8, 2012 8:22:15 PM

djscribbles said:
The 7850 is the best at 250$. The 560TI would be the alternative coming in closer to 220$, but it's not as powerful, and uses more electricity; as long as you don't mind paying the extra, go for the 7850.

The build looks pretty good. Nothing I would jump on to change.

I suppose you could add an SSD if you have the budget. A 120GB drive can be found often below 100$ and makes a great boot+app drive. Use mklink/SteamMover to store a few games there as well.

Thank you for your answer. As of now, i have no money for an SSD. And I am pretty newbie...so umm...whats SteamMover and mklink?
August 8, 2012 8:22:31 PM

Best answer selected by Nic0s411.
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:24:46 PM

Don't buy a 7850 it's not all that be smart and wait for 660 TI to be released it's likely other better cards prices will drop. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:39:38 PM

Nic0s411 said:
Thank you for your answer. As of now, i have no money for an SSD. And I am pretty newbie...so umm...whats SteamMover and mklink?

Those allow you to make hard drive links, which are a bit like a more powerful shortcut. You can move a game to the small SSD, even though it is installed to the HDD, then create a link from the HDD to the SSD. Anything that tries to access the file/folder from the HDD (where it would normally be) is redirected to the SSD. SteamMover is a little program that automates the process for steam games.

As far as waiting on the 660Ti; you certainly could wait, it's supposed to launch at the end of the month if I recall. But the rumored price tag was 300$; even if it's lower priced (275$ or so), I wouldn't expect the 7850 to drop by more than 10$ or 20$; but it's all speculation, if you want to wait a few weeks for a shot at a better deal, then keep an eye out and sit tight :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 9:42:55 PM

Just Minecraft? Get a $100 SSD and a $150 (7770, 6850/70, 560) GPU.

Goodluck
a c 212 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 9:58:08 PM

660 Ti for the easy win over the 7850 ....and the 7850 in the test is OC'd model....anticipated release date is August 13-14

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4869/nvidia_geforce_gt...

30% faster in Heaven
50% faster in 3D mark 11
22% faster in HAWX 2
31% faster in Mafia II
58% faster in Lost Planet 2
35% faster in AvP
25% faster in Just Cause 2
18% faster in Metro 2033
42% faster in Dirt 3
38% faster in Far Cry 2
24% faster in Mafia II w/ Hi AA AF
2% faster in AvP w/ Hi AA AF
20% faster in Far Cry 2I w/ Hi AA AF
4% faster in Metro 2033 w/ Hi AA AF
25% faster in Just Cause 2 w/ Hi AA AF

Quote:
You're talking about a video card that is rumored to hit at the mid-$200 range yet performs like a video card priced $100 more. I ..... The problem for AMD, though, is that while this card is priced at levels around the HD 7850 and HD 7870, its performance is around that of the HD 7950 and HD 7970. You combine this with the fact that AMD really don't have any more room to move on price due to recent price drops. We really do wonder what AMD can do. NVIDIA do this excellent job of taking on multiple AMD models with just one video card and in this case, we see that happening again.
!