Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Get a GTX 670 FTW or wait for the 660ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 8, 2012 8:14:16 PM

I just found this EVGA GTX 670 FTW, it's $390 with a gift card, I was originally looking at another evga 670, but it was the stock clock and was only $10 less.

I know the 660ti is coming out soon, but I'm also wanting to move this card into my next pc, probably with SLI, and I'm not really sure whether I should wait for the 660ti or just get the 670 FTW.

I feel like it might be better to just jump on this, but I wanted to get other opinions so I wouldn't feel like I made a mistake. I also wanted to see if anyone had previous experience dealing with pc parts bought through amazon.

Advice is really appreciated, thanks!

My pc has

AMD Phenom X4 955 3.2ghz
ASUS M4A87TD EVO mobo
8gb ram
750w psu

More about : gtx 670 ftw wait 660ti

a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:21:51 PM

Unless you are in a hurry, I would wait for the 660ti. If the 660ti ends up having barely less performance at like $50 less, then it might be a good deal.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:22:47 PM

you really do not have the CPU strength so I'd wait for the 660 Ti and save the money...
next unit going to be Intel.?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 598 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:27:05 PM

Just over a week to go. It's kind of funny, but the gift card promotion ends on August 15th at 11:59 PM.... just about a minute before they start selling the GTX 660 Ti. I guess they want you to jump on the deal and not wait until the 660 Ti is released. After that point, there are obviously a lot of people who will buy the 660 Ti that would have otherwise shelled out the extra cash for a 670.

I would say get the 670 FTW. It's a great card, a great deal, and will outperform the 660 Ti. I agree, it's a tough time to make a high-end video card purchase decision just one week before the 660 Ti comes out.
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660ti-2way-sli-o...
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 8:36:23 PM

670 FTW because the bandwidth is severely crippled on the 192bit bus of the 660 ti. This will affect performance more than people realize. If you can afford the 670 go for it.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 8:43:52 PM

Chairman Ray said:
Unless you are in a hurry, I would wait for the 660ti. If the 660ti ends up having barely less performance at like $50 less, then it might be a good deal.

Isn't the 670 FTW pretty close to the 680 though? And i'd imagine that the 660ti will be close to the stock clock 670
Quote:
you really do not have the CPU strength so I'd wait for the 660 Ti and save the money...
next unit going to be Intel.?

I know i'll have a bottleneck on the cpu, but what i'm really debating on right now is that i want to be able to match the power of the current spec graphics cards in 1.5-2 years when i upgrade my system by adding another of the same card in SLI to my setup and i'm wondering if the 660ti will do that... and yeah i built this system on a tighter budget (college student with parent watching money :( ) I'm probably gonna go with a bigger budget next time around
Quote:
Just over a week to go. It's kind of funny, but the gift card promotion ends on August 15th at 11:59 PM.... just about a minute before they start selling the GTX 660 Ti. I guess they want you to jump on the deal and not wait until the 660 Ti is released. After that point, there are obviously a lot of people who will buy the 660 Ti that would have otherwise shelled out the extra cash for a 670.

I would say get the 670 FTW. It's a great card, a great deal, and will outperform the 660 Ti. I agree, it's a tough time to make a high-end video card purchase decision just one week before the 660 Ti comes out.
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce [...] s-exposed/

I'm really leaning this way... it's hard to part with this much cash. Advice is helping though, I just wanna make the best decision for both short and long term lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:44:31 PM

I think I would get the 660 ti, since your processor is a 955, you will most likely have a bottleneck with a 670. Save the money and get an i5 with a new mobo sooner.
m
0
l
a c 598 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:51:35 PM

If money's tight, however, those leaked benchmarks suggest the 660 Ti is going to be a huge overclocker. I would at least wait until the 15th to see i there is any more concrete information and make your decision at 11:55 PM.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 8:53:49 PM

verbalizer said:
you really do not have the CPU strength so I'd wait for the 660 Ti and save the money...
next unit going to be Intel.?


Ironslice said:
I think I would get the 660 ti, since your processor is a 955, you will most likely have a bottleneck with a 670. Save the money and get an i5 with a new mobo sooner.


17seconds said:
If money's tight, however, those leaked benchmarks suggest the 660 Ti is going to be a huge overclocker. I would at least wait until the 15th to see i there is any more concrete information and make your decision at 11:55 PM.


;) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 9:36:59 PM

955BE..............
enough said.
m
0
l
August 8, 2012 9:42:45 PM

I think i'll wait a few days and see if there's some more details, i'm not in a huge hurry, but i probably won't be upgrading my mobo/processor anytime soon. It would at least be after Christmas at the earliest and even that is doubt able. I gotta save more money
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 9:49:50 PM

660ti
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 9:51:51 PM

verbalizer said:
955BE..............
enough said.
+1
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 9:59:37 PM

verbalizer said:
I'll take a single GTX 690 thanks...
I'll force myself to be happy.. :whistle: 
Anybody that would not be happy with a 690 is either a liar or expecting to much :lol: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 10:09:02 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Anybody that would not be happy with a 690 is either a liar or expecting to much :lol: 

and add a GT 210 for PhysX... :o 

(what bottleneck..)
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 10:18:16 PM

verbalizer said:
and add a GT 210 for PhysX... :o 

(what bottleneck..)
:lol: 
m
0
l
!