My mouse cursor display has to be way below something to click it

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
I am having a problem with trying to click things like links, the scroll bar on YouTube, text entry fields, etc.. When I move my mouse over something that should register it does nothing. If I lower the mouse cursor to about 1" below (on a 32" screen) what I'm trying to click it acts as if the cursor should be on it.

For example if I am trying to click and highlight this sentence----------

My mouse cursor has to be here to highlight the above sentence---------------

Also Sometimes the text looks like a tiny bit was cut off the top or bottom. My resolution settings were preset and haven't been changed. Everything was working fine and one day when I turned my computer on it just started happening. Sorry if this is hard to understand but I cant figure out any other way to describe it. I looked this up using all the keywords I could think to explain this but I couldn't find anything. If anyone knows what is causing this your help would be greatly appreciated. For now it takes me double what it should just to navigate through google and I'm getting really annoyed.

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hi,

If you move the mouse to another computer, does its work normally or does the problem continue. Also, if you plug a different mouse into this computer having the problem does it still happen or does it resolve the issue? If you have a specialized mouse, I would go to the vendor's website and look for a new driver in case the current one is corrupt. It sounds like the calibration of the mouse is off from what you are describing. If you have a generic mouse, you may want to try installing intellipoint software for it from microsoft to see if that will restore functionality. I would try the basic optical mouse download and see if that helps:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads

Also, if you change USB ports where it is plugged into, does that solve the issue? I know on touch screen computers the screen sometimes needs to be calibrated. In this case, if you do not have a touch screen, see if there is a driver specific to your monitor you can install. Also, make sure your video driver is a current version as well in case it is corrupt and not displaying correctly.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
Sorry I should have been more specific. I am pretty sure its is a problem with the screen alignment. The text or links appear at a place on the screen but for me to select it, the mouse needs to be pretty far below where it shows on screen. The reason I suspect its not the mouse is sometimes lines of text will appear chopped and the function bar on youtube or similar video players is only halfway showing at the bottom of the player window. If I could figure out how to post a picture on here I could show you what I mean.

August14

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
My problem is the same, except that the mouse needs to be off to the right, not below, the target area.

This has only happened recently.

Also, you mentioned that lines of text appear chopped, and sometimes embedded function bars aren't displaying properly. These two things are both happening to me, as well. I hadn't thought all these issues were connected. but they might be.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
So far it hasn't happened in anything else except chrome and IE. One of the strange things I've figured out is if I minimize the window then re-open it to fullscreen things will line up properly. I still haven't figured out what this is and tried a different monitor with the same result.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

I'm not even sure if they are connected I guess I just assumed they were. I hope they are or thats two or more problems I have to figure out

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
August: I don't know if I posted that reply right but it does sound like were having the same problem. I'm not sure if all the issues are related, I just assumed they were because they all seem like resolution size problems. If you do figure out what is causing this please let me know because it's getting very annoying. Also try to minimize or make the window smaller and then maximize it and see if that is a temporary fix, it seems to work on mine untill I open a new window then it's off again. I wonder if we have the same computer and its a hardware issue. I have an acer aspire m3470g with an AMD A6-3620 and a Radeon 6540 card( I think thats the right card). Just wondering

Aug 8, 2019
My own solution - posting in case this benefits others.

I had this same problem with a laptop and three monitors attached through a Pluggable docking station.

Restarting the Pluggable did nothing.

I eliminated the question as to whether it was the mouse by unplugging my wireless mouse and using the mousepad. Same issue.

As I worked, I noticed that it was not consistent, and started experimenting to find:
  • No offset on left monitor
  • Occasional offset on center monitor
  • Occasional offset on laptop monitor
  • Always offset on right monitor
All external monitors are Dell; laptop is Asus. Right and center monitors are identical model.

Then noticed that the right monitor display itself was offset. It had a black space beneath the Taskbar, and windows that were in the back extended above the top of the monitor frame.

So, I looked through the monitor configuration settings using the physical buttons on the monitor itself (some have options to adjust the position of the display). This did not.

Since I was connected to a VM, and you cannot adjust display settings within one, I exited, and went into the display settings on the laptop.

Being the same model, right and center monitors were logically set to the same resolution. Changed the right monitor to a different resolution, then changed it back.

Problem solved.

In case the above was not true in your case, here were some other steps that I was prepared to take:
  • Restart computer
  • Disconnect laptop from Pluggable; restart Pluggable (no power switch on mine, so pulling the plug is the only option); reconnect to laptop
  • Roll back graphics drivers
  • Update graphics drivers from manufacturer's website
  • In case a recent Windows update may have caused the problem, I would have looked through the updates and uninstalled any related to graphics, mouse, etc. - anything related.
  • System Restore - this would have been a last-ditch effort, as it works with some issues, but I did not think it would work for this, unless there was a non-obvious update that created the seeming mouse offset.

Last edited: