Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is the difference in the two ASUS 7850s?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 8, 2012 9:32:56 PM

Just noticed there are two non-top versions out of Asus's 7850:
- HD7850-DC2-2GD5
- HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2

The V2 model seems to have just come out and there are no comments on its product page on Amazon or Newegg. Only difference I see is they reworked some of I/O ports.

Anyone know the story on this? Thanks!

More about : difference asus 7850s

Best solution

August 8, 2012 10:29:00 PM

What you see appears to be all that was done. The only noticeable differences between the two cards are the out put options and the clock speeds. You lose a DisplayPort, but gain a new DVI, as well as losing 10MHz on the core clock and the Effective Memory Clock (as well as .04GBps) resulting in the V2 costing $10 less. There will not be any noticeable differences in performance between the two models, I think Asus just decided to opt for the additional DVI rather than the DisplayPort.
August 8, 2012 10:39:29 PM

Ah, thanks. That's all I could find too. I'd been watching the price drift upwards and availability go down on the older model for a couple months now, wondering what the heck was going on. I guess the V2 was just some tidying up with no major changes to the card.

Was looking around and it looks like they did it with a few of their other cards as well, like the 7870. Maybe they're trying to make the ports more like nVidia's cards by having a full-sized DisplayPort instead of the 2 minis.
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 11:15:09 PM

crm810 said:
Ah, thanks. That's all I could find too. I'd been watching the price drift upwards and availability go down on the older model for a couple months now, wondering what the heck was going on. I guess the V2 was just some tidying up with no major changes to the card.

Was looking around and it looks like they did it with a few of their other cards as well, like the 7870. Maybe they're trying to make the ports more like nVidia's cards by having a full-sized DisplayPort instead of the 2 minis.

That is a possibility. I honestly don't know too many people that need dual DisplayPort, it seems to be a very specific crowd, and dual DVI seems to be more common anyway with the average house hold dual monitor set-up.
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:15:50 PM

Best answer selected by crm810.
m
l
!