Upgrading from GTX 275, 400$ flexible budget

RonLugge

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next Month

BUDGET RANGE: Flexible; have booked 400$ as minimum but am (more) than willing to save up more

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Work: Currently, my gaming machine is also my work machine. Multiple monitors a must.
Gaming: Skyrim, Metro, Wow, Crysis, whatever high-end games come out in the next 2-3 years. (Only game I know of that uses the second montior is SupCom; all others are on main-monitor only, no monitor spanning)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GTX 275, Power supply is 'NZXT Performance Power 800 2.91v' -- 4 12V rails with 'max' output of 18, 18, 20, and 22 Amps respectively. Several years old.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 4GBs memory (don't remember make/model), XFX nForce 780i SLI 3-way SLI motherboard; case is large and spacious, with many cooling fans (including one that blows from font more or less under / into the video card)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer NVIdia

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe -- I'd like the ability, but I don't really have the know-how or money to play to replace anything if I blow it up. Basically, if it doesn't cost too much extra, sure -- that way as my finances improve, I can consider it then.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No preference.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
Main monitor : 1920x1080
Second Monitor: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

By preference, I want at least three video out options that can run concurrently. 2X DVI and at least one HDMI. Additional display ports appreciated.

I've actually been looking, I think I want one of the new 600 series from NVidia, but I can't seem to find information on which ones support multiple monitor output (and over how many outputs they can handle simulatenously)

Solution

OP, that card may be best for you. The 4GB of RAM is useful in multi monitor setups.

RonLugge

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

THank you, that is the information I was having the most trouble finding. For some reason, most cards don't have it in their specs.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
No problem. The reference card may support 4 monitors but some manufacturers may cut the number of outputs for varying reasons. Make sure you get one that has four ports if that is what you need.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

yes it will be able to run multiple monitors with Nvidia SoundRound, pretty much like Eyefinity. Also that card is powerfull enough to run maxed out games at 1080p for now and in a couple of years, it is kinda powerfull.

Its a blind pick as you like Nvidia, it handles multimonitor and also is strong enough to do what you want.

It uses same or lower power than your actual card, also it would run cool and quiet which is a plus... And it fits perfectly in your budget, its a non brainer pick.

Go ahead! and Enjoy that card of the time to come, you surelly wil reuse when you upgrade your mobo, CPU and Ram... :D

Edit: WOW! quick responses :eek:

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

OP, that card may be best for you. The 4GB of RAM is useful in multi monitor setups.

Solution