Nvidia geforce gtx 580 clocking at 405mhz

Decimus Drake

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hello, my nvidia geforce gtx 580 is clocking at 405mhz. In that past couple of months or so I noticed the fps in games that once ran perfectly had dropped. As far as I can tell I've not experienced any overheating nor altered any settings; I've no idea what's causing the problem let alone how to solve it.

drums101

Distinguished
run a program called GPUZ and click the option to log to file and play a game...open up the text document it creates to verify that it is clocking down to 405mhz while in game....the card does this in 2d to save energy but it should do that in game....one thing to try is to update to the latest drivers..uninstall the old ones boot into safemode and run driver sweeper then reboot into regular windows and install the new ones....while looking at the gpuz file tell me what the max temp is on the card too while in game

drums101

Distinguished
has it ever over heated before and cause the system to reboot? what were your temps before this issue started happening? A few 580 owners have this issue but its generally after the card over heated many times

Decimus Drake

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Unfortunately I never specifically made note of the temperature in the past. To my knowledge it's never gone above 40°C and I've not experienced any reboots due to overheating.

I don't even need to ask which drivers you are running. This is a common issue with the 301 drivers. Update to th 304.79's which should cure the problem. Do a clean install. The other fix is to restart the game and/or restart the PC.
http://www.geforce.com/#/

drums101

Distinguished
lol it has definitely gone above 40c most cards idle above that......maybe since your drivers are all up to date you could try an earlier version of the driver.....if that doesnt work try flashing a new bios on your card (the one for your specific card but maybe something got corrupt) look for your bios here..

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Are you not heeding my advice fellow member of the GTX 580 club?

I had exactly the same problem. Same clock speed too. It kicked in when switching scenes in Skyrim. People have mentioned it on these forums several times as well. It's random and restarting the game and/or PC will always fix it.

It's the 301.42 WHQL drivers. The 304.79 drivers are some of the best that have come out in quite a while.

Decimus Drake

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for the help. The problem is solved and I didn't even have to resort to performing dark pagan rituals to appease the computer gods. It was a problem with the 301 driver and updating to the 304 fixed it. Thanks again.