Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need an opinion for a new build I had made

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 29, 2012 10:28:49 AM

I recently had a build made by a professional friend for a new machine I'm going to buy this week.
I'm pretty happy about the whole composition but just wanted to get another opinion from the fellows here.
You might notice I skipped my budget requirements as I'll be buying it in my home country outside the US so most of the budget talk is irrelevant, you could just assume the price of these parts in USD. I'm mainly looking for a general opinion about parts that should be replaced / upgraded without any serious budget jumps not for an entirely new build. My main goal for this PC is hard gaming (at least for the coming year) and lots of development work that requires available memory(hence the large capacity of RAM).

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770 Socket 1155 8MB 3.4Ghz Tray
CPU Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS5X SI EDITION
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Casing: FRACTAL CORE 3000
PSU: Seasonic ECO 500W
RAM: Kingston Kit (4Gx2) Hyper-X XMP (extreme memory profile) RED
HD: Crucial 128G SSD Marvell M4
GFX: Sapphire 7950 3GB GDDR5 HDMI RETAIL (Non OC edition)

Some of these parts got chosen as they are the ones available at my country but I'm not hung up on any of them so if you see an obvious problem I'd be happy if you could point it out. You might notice I did not specify any additional hard drives as I will be moving the old ones from my current machine which is on it's way down. Also no monitor or other peripherals are required as I will be moving them from my current machine. I don't see myself OC'ing this so I went with the non OC edition for the GFX and 3770 rather than 3770k.

Another question I have that I'm failing to understand, I'll be adding an external firewire adapter that I have that must be installed for my work, it is my understanding that this MoBO has 1 PCI-E 3.0 lane that runs at x16 that I will be using for my GFX card. Reading about my CPU I found that it supports the following PCI Express Configurations: 1x16, 2x8, 1x8 & 2x4.
Will that mean that if I put my GFX at the 3.0 x16 slot and my firewire PCI-e adapter at the 2.0 x8 slot that both of them will run at x8? If so is there some way to avoid it so my GFX runs at the full x16 speed?

Thank you for much for any help you may be willing to provide.

More about : opinion build made

September 29, 2012 10:46:25 AM

rqprqp said:
I recently had a build made by a professional friend for a new machine I'm going to buy this week.
I'm pretty happy about the whole composition but just wanted to get another opinion from the fellows here.
You might notice I skipped my budget requirements as I'll be buying it in my home country outside the US so most of the budget talk is irrelevant, you could just assume the price of these parts in USD. I'm mainly looking for a general opinion about parts that should be replaced / upgraded without any serious budget jumps not for an entirely new build. My main goal for this PC is hard gaming (at least for the coming year) and lots of development work that requires available memory(hence the large capacity of RAM).

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770 Socket 1155 8MB 3.4Ghz Tray
CPU Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS5X SI EDITION
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Casing: FRACTAL CORE 3000
PSU: Seasonic ECO 500W
RAM: Kingston Kit (4Gx2) Hyper-X XMP (extreme memory profile) RED
HD: Crucial 128G SSD Marvell M4
GFX: Sapphire 7950 3GB GDDR5 HDMI RETAIL (Non OC edition)

Some of these parts got chosen as they are the ones available at my country but I'm not hung up on any of them so if you see an obvious problem I'd be happy if you could point it out. You might notice I did not specify any additional hard drives as I will be moving the old ones from my current machine which is on it's way down. Also no monitor or other peripherals are required as I will be moving them from my current machine. I don't see myself OC'ing this so I went with the non OC edition for the GFX and 3770 rather than 3770k.

Another question I have that I'm failing to understand, I'll be adding an external firewire adapter that I have that must be installed for my work, it is my understanding that this MoBO has 1 PCI-E 3.0 lane that runs at x16 that I will be using for my GFX card. Reading about my CPU I found that it supports the following PCI Express Configurations: 1x16, 2x8, 1x8 & 2x4.
Will that mean that if I put my GFX at the 3.0 x16 slot and my firewire PCI-e adapter at the 2.0 x8 slot that both of them will run at x8? If so is there some way to avoid it so my GFX runs at the full x16 speed?

Thank you for much for any help you may be willing to provide.


if you just plan to game the there is no point getting an i7 processer get an i5 and save your self some money. I would recomend getting a k edition cpu even if you dont plan to overclock at the moment it'll give you the choice to in the future . I would also recomend getting a higher wattage psu -maybe 650-750w psu- so it is easier to upgrade parts in the future as for your other problem i think that only happen when you have two cards in crossfire or sli but im not to sure so you might want to do some research on that and even if the x16 slot becomes x8 graphics cards aren't powerful enough to saturate the bandwidth any way
m
0
l
September 29, 2012 11:12:54 AM

Why do you need a cpu cooler when you have a non overclockable cpu? Stock cooling is fine, save yourself some bucks. Agree with the guy above me, no need for an i7 when you are only gaming. There is little benefit using a x16 slot compared to x8, you'll barely notice the difference.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 29, 2012 11:33:38 AM

Everything looks fine. But yes, as JJ1217 pointed out, there's no point on a CPU cooler when you're not gonna OC.
I think you misunderstood the OC thing about the video card. It means the GPU was already pre-overclocked, hence better performance than the normal version, and generally has better cooling. You don't need to do anything to it anymore.
I'm not sure just how heavy your workload is, but if it's to the point that your friend required an i7 'cause of the hyper-threading, then it's often advised that you get 16gb of RAM.
Speaking of RAM though, the one on your list is horrible. It requires 1.65v to run, which is generally bad for Intel CPUs as it puts much strain, and it will void your warranty. Please consider looking at anything not exceeding 1.5v preferably from Corsair or G.Skill.
Your PSU is a bit on the dangerous side at 500w, get at least 600w, preferably one with a single +12v rail.
m
0
l
September 29, 2012 11:44:55 AM

With the PCI bandwidth issue, that only applies when you are using the PCI-Express slots. Just put your Firewire card into one of the smaller PCI x1 slots and it will be fine.
m
0
l
September 29, 2012 12:06:44 PM

The i7 **is** the right choice as you are not building a single use PC. While you don't need hyperthreading for gaming, the development work will definitely benefit from HT and the extra RAM.

Id want the 3770k tho, especially since ya CPU cooler will be useless unless you are going to OC. While we are at it, the cooler is not on many Favorites list.

$30 budget - Hyper 212
$50 budget - Hyper 612 or Scythe Mugen 3
$80 - Phanteks

You talked about having "large amounts of RAM" for your development work but where is it ? ..... I find a bit of a contradiction in that you spec'd just 2 x 4GB which I'd consider the minimum for a gaming box.

Again ....a "hard gaming" box that doesn't include an option for SLI is contradictory. Look at the ASUS P8Z77-V or ASUS P8Z77-Pro.

Don't know ya monitor resolution but if it's 1920 x 1200 or below.....

1. I'd drop the 3GB and
2. I'd get an Nvidia 660 Ti

Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite: Hard Reset, COD-MW2, Far Cry 2, ANNO 1404, Metro 2033, ANNO 2070, BFBC2, BF3, Crysis 2, AvP, Lost Planet 2. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame @ 1920 x 1200:

660 PE gets 851 fps for $300 at a cost of $0.35 per frame
7870 gets 701 fps for $280 at a cost of $0.40 per frame
7950 gets 746 fps for $330 at a cost of $0.44 per frame

TechPowerup has it a bit closer but the 7950 still comes in behind and at a higher cost per frame. Alan Wake, AvP, Batman Arkham City, BF3, BattleForge, COD4, Civilization 5, Crysis. Crysis 2, Dirt 3, Dragon Age II, Hard Reset, Metro 2033, Stalker CoP, Starcraft 2, Shogun 2, Skyrim, WoW, Diablo II, Max Payne 3, Sniper Elite V2

660 gets 1387.41 fps for $310 at a cost of $0.22 per frame
660 DCII gets 1468.2 fps for $300 at a cost of $0.21 per frame
7870 gets 1236.6 fps for $280 at a cost of $0.23 per frame
7950 gets 1348.2 fps for $330 at a cost of $0.24 per frame


m
0
l
September 29, 2012 6:50:41 PM

Thank you all for your replies and help! I have learned a lot :) 
I have changed my build as per some of the comments here and would like to get some revised input if possible? I'd be forever grateful if anyone could.

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K Socket 1155 8MB 3.5Ghz Tray
Cooling: Scythe MUGEN 3 REV B
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
Casing: Fractal Design Core - 3000 Mid Case
PSU: SeaSonic ECO 600W Active PFC, 2X PCI-E 6/8, 46A / 12V Single Rail 220V Only
RAM: Corsair 16Gb Kit (4G X4) CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 CL9
HD: Crucial 128G SSD Marvell M4
GFX: Gigabyte GTX660 TI 2GB GDDR5 HDMI

Thank you all again for your help!
m
0
l
September 29, 2012 7:19:10 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite: Hard Reset, COD-MW2, Far Cry 2, ANNO 1404, Metro 2033, ANNO 2070, BFBC2, BF3, Crysis 2, AvP, Lost Planet 2. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame @ 1920 x 1200:

660 PE gets 851 fps for $300 at a cost of $0.35 per frame
7870 gets 701 fps for $280 at a cost of $0.40 per frame
7950 gets 746 fps for $330 at a cost of $0.44 per frame

TechPowerup has it a bit closer but the 7950 still comes in behind and at a higher cost per frame. Alan Wake, AvP, Batman Arkham City, BF3, BattleForge, COD4, Civilization 5, Crysis. Crysis 2, Dirt 3, Dragon Age II, Hard Reset, Metro 2033, Stalker CoP, Starcraft 2, Shogun 2, Skyrim, WoW, Diablo II, Max Payne 3, Sniper Elite V2

660 gets 1387.41 fps for $310 at a cost of $0.22 per frame
660 DCII gets 1468.2 fps for $300 at a cost of $0.21 per frame
7870 gets 1236.6 fps for $280 at a cost of $0.23 per frame
7950 gets 1348.2 fps for $330 at a cost of $0.24 per frame

These numbers are meaningless for several reasons, the biggest being that it is highly dependent on what price they payed for the cards they tested. Newegg is currently selling 7870s from $200 (AR) to $370. That's a bigger range than most cards, but all of the cards listed have a significant range of prices. Which card they choose to test is going to have a huge impact on cost/frame.

Which cards are the best deal at the moment comes down to the current price. And since the OP is in a foreign country relative pricing may be very different from the US.

rqprqp said:
Thank you all for your replies and help! I have learned a lot :) 
I have changed my build as per some of the comments here and would like to get some revised input if possible? I'd be forever grateful if anyone could.

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K Socket 1155 8MB 3.5Ghz Tray
Cooling: Scythe MUGEN 3 REV B
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
Casing: Fractal Design Core - 3000 Mid Case
PSU: SeaSonic ECO 600W Active PFC, 2X PCI-E 6/8, 46A / 12V Single Rail 220V Only
RAM: Corsair 16Gb Kit (4G X4) CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 CL9
HD: Crucial 128G SSD Marvell M4
GFX: Gigabyte GTX660 TI 2GB GDDR5 HDMI

Thank you all again for your help!


What's the difference in price between the 660 Ti and the 7950? If there about the same in price I would go with 7950.

m
0
l
September 30, 2012 4:25:42 AM

rqprqp said:
Thank you all for your replies and help! I have learned a lot :) 
I have changed my build as per some of the comments here and would like to get some revised input if possible? I'd be forever grateful if anyone could.

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770K Socket 1155 8MB 3.5Ghz Tray
Cooling: Scythe MUGEN 3 REV B
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
Casing: Fractal Design Core - 3000 Mid Case
PSU: SeaSonic ECO 600W Active PFC, 2X PCI-E 6/8, 46A / 12V Single Rail 220V Only
RAM: Corsair 16Gb Kit (4G X4) CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 CL9
HD: Crucial 128G SSD Marvell M4
GFX: Gigabyte GTX660 TI 2GB GDDR5 HDMI

Thank you all again for your help!

You don't need a CPU cooler if you won't be OC-ing.
And yes, the 7950 is a better card. Get the Sapphire Vapor-X version.
m
0
l
!