Sign in with
Your question

System restarting continuously with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2012 11:34:06 AM

Hi there,

I've just spent the best part of a day trying to get my new build to work, but I have a problem in that when I power-on the system the power supplies fan along with the CPU fan momentarily start (for a second or so), before stopping. This will continue until I turn the power off.

I've tried swapping the RAM around (one module at a time, followed by both modules in the correct slots), but nothing is working.

This is a build from scractch and it has never worked beyond this state. Here's my basic configuration (I have an SSD drive and DVD drive, but I've disconnected them while trying to get this working).

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, Intel Z77
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black
Intel Core i7 3770K,1155, Ivy Bridge
600W Corsair Builder Series Power Supply

Any help greatly appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2012 11:45:05 AM

Sounds like a short-circuit or a CPU problem. Do you have a speaker connected so you can get the beeps?
Related resources
September 29, 2012 11:59:58 AM

Thanks for the link - very useful, although I can't see anything that stands out as potentially causing my problem. Unfortunately I don't have a speaker to check the beeps.
October 13, 2012 9:01:12 PM

Just to let you know that I found the problem - the motherboard was indeed dead. I sent it back to Scan and they found a bent pin on the processor socket. They refused to refund or repair it on the grounds that they think I must have installed the processor incorrectly - which is strange given that I followed the instructions in the manual, and was extremely careful.

Their argument was essentially that Gigabyte test their boards before they leave the factory, hence a fault of that nature must be down to the user.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2012 3:55:12 PM

maybe u pushed the cpu towards the pins when u was installing it.
!