Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

EVGA GTX 670 vs ASUS gtx 680 top which one ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 8, 2012 11:27:48 PM

Ok so I am trying to figure out which card would be a better performer is it worth it to pay the extra for the asus 680 top over the evga GTX 670 FTW ? gaming on a 24.6in 1080p.
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 2:51:54 AM

you got the money....... GTX 680
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:02:15 AM

what he said. If you have the money you will see better performance out of a gtx 680. If price matters it's a different story.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:02:28 AM

depends on what gpu you are coming from....

imho id get the evga ftw....

almost did myself yesterday but decided to ride my 560tis off into the sunset

If you are a man of powerful grandaddy gpus (like verbalizer) then obviously the 680 is the choice...

but again personally id save the 100 and get the 670
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:06:46 AM

Well put it this way your paying a hundred more for roughly 10% increase in performance is that worth it to you?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:10:29 AM

but check this scenario out....

you paying in cash or credit card.?
catching a 680 on sale and then with credit card your basically financing it out.
what's a few more payments if that's the case..

and everyone is screaming about overclock the GTX 670 and it matches the GTX 680...
OK, well that's a reference comparison to the GTX 680.
so when you actually get the GTX 680 and then overclock it......
the gap between the GTX 680 and GTX 670 will be there and widen...

funny how nobody mentions that...
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 3:12:07 AM

Well a lot of the reports of failing gtx 670s kinda worry me and are there any good non reference gtx 670s out there with a good warranty ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:13:24 AM

yeah of course the 680 can OC the issue really just depends on if money is an issue to the OP or not...

but if they are stretching it financially to get a 680, I would not recommend making monthly compounded interest payments to get the better gpu... of course ive done much worse in the past so get the darn 680 then
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:13:26 AM

jeff1304 said:
Well a lot of the reports of failing gtx 670s kinda worry me and are there any good non reference gtx 670s out there with a good warranty ?

go back and read my last post.
we might have posted at the same time...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:15:45 AM

havent heard of any failing 670s, which model? the gigabyte windforce deal?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:16:45 AM

jeff1304 said:
Well a lot of the reports of failing gtx 670s kinda worry me and are there any good non reference gtx 670s out there with a good warranty ?
The 680 non-reference is going to spank the EVGA 670 i wouldn't worry to much about what newegg reviews say as most people that leave those reviews are noobs anyway you should trust what professional respectable review sites say not newegg reviews. ;) 
Share
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:16:58 AM

gigabyte windforce = fail..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:18:26 AM

^yeah ive heard that they are absolutely not reliable, have high voltage, etc... the windforces
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:19:27 AM

bigcyco1 said:
The 680 non-reference is going to spank the EVGA 670 i wouldn't worry to much about what newegg reviews say as most people that leave those reviews are noobs anyway you should trust what professional respectable review sites say. ;) 


+1 newegg reviews mean absolutley nothing except for maybe a product that has been out forever like the cm hyper 212+

but 99% of them you cannot take whole-heartedly, I agree
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 3:26:13 AM

so it seem like most of you are saying get the asus gtx 680 top oc the crap out of it and i will be much further ahead than trying to get a gtx 670 ftw and ocing as high as I can ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:27:54 AM

yeah well it sounds like you can afford it so get the 680, plus I love the asus models :)  see sig below VVVV

the TOP is supposed to be a highly binned chip and an excellent cooler AFAIK
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:28:34 AM

Yeah and i don't know if allot of people do this or not but i have a friend that is such a AMD fan boy he told me i leave bad reviews on newegg and tigerdirect about intel and nvidia cards hes a jerk he thinks it's going to make people jump on the AMD train but i told him not going to work
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 3:28:38 AM

ok and my next question will my lancool k62 case properly cool the non blower type cooler ? I also added a extra 120mm fan in the front under the blu ray drive.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:29:33 AM

^yeah and hes probably the same idiot leaving rave reviews for the fx-4100... smh...
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:32:14 AM

jjb8675309 said:
^yeah and hes probably the same idiot leaving rave reviews for the fx-4100... smh...
I wouldn't doubt it :pfff: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:32:30 AM

@OP

the non blower type cooler (reference model) if that's what your referring to will vent air outside the case from the rear...

your case should be absolutely fine!

sounds like your set
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:34:22 AM

You have no side ventilation so you'll be sending hot air up to your cpu in the long run which is of course bad. That case is not meant for good cooling performance. As long as you have good intake in the front (like you said) the gpu temps shouldn't be too bad.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:34:24 AM

jeff1304 said:
ok and my next question will my lancool k62 case properly cool the non blower type cooler ? I also added a extra 120mm fan in the front under the blu ray drive.
I am not sure i don't know your case well let one of these other gents chime in ;) 
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:34:49 AM

lol nvm your good then.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:35:56 AM

Ive run much hotter gpus in much crappier cases

(a 4890 in a logysis hunk of metal midtower)
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 3:38:44 AM

kevin83 said:
You have no side ventilation so you'll be sending hot air up to your cpu in the long run which is of course bad. That case is not meant for good cooling performance. As long as you have good intake in the front (like you said) the gpu temps shouldn't be too bad.

how easy is it to drill out a few holes in the plastic ? :lol: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:40:51 AM

dont bother drilling you will probly destroy it, lol...

just add an Nvidia gpu and your good to go...~!
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:42:58 AM

Either that or buy a better case and a 670 it's up to you but i personally wouldn't be to worried about it
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:46:39 AM

Hey, modding my rosewill case to fit a hyper 212 plus went relatively well, I don't see too many problems sawing and drilling through plastic for better cooling performance :) 
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 3:48:10 AM

and for reference im upgrading from a evga gtx 580 superclocked
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:50:03 AM

Id wait til next gen if thats the case but if you want the 680, have at it!
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:50:17 AM

lol say what ? i wouldn't even bother the 580 is quite a beast still
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 3:52:35 AM

Well im selling my gtx 580 for $200 to a friend to help cover the cost of this :p  figured I would sell it while its still worth something to go toward a new card. so basicly getting the top for $335.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 3:54:16 AM

jeff1304 said:
Well im selling my gtx 580 for $200 to a friend to help cover the cost of this :p  figured I would sell it while its still worth something to go toward a new card.
oh o.k. well your a good friend to do that and 680 non-reference is for you then. ;) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:54:58 AM

that is a hell of a deal you are giving your friend on ebay they go for abour 260-300+shipping!

if thats what you wanna do, then do it, but imo it is a non essential upgrade..

heck I wanted to upgrade my 560s to a 670 or 680 but im gonna hold out, it makes no sense to upgrade every series, but in the end its your choice!
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 4:05:46 AM

I have been fairly successful so far in life almost done with college and working two jobs I like. I always enjoy help some of my friends out that have been having a hard time or down on their luck.

Also have a line of credit with newegg that gives me 12month interest free financing on anything over $500. And il have it paid off way before then.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 4:07:33 AM

jeff1304 said:
I have been fairly successful so far in life almost done with college and working two jobs I like. I always enjoy help some of my friends out that have been having a hard time or down on their luck.
Your a good person then nothing wrong with that carry on. :hello: 
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 4:18:33 AM

Best answer selected by jeff1304.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 4:48:18 AM

wow I had crap credit as a young adult, still do, anyways good luck to you and have fun!
m
0
l
August 9, 2012 4:52:24 AM

jjb8675309 said:
wow I had crap credit as a young adult, still do, anyways good luck to you and have fun!

im upper end of credit taken a lot of hard work since I got out of high school.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 4:58:55 AM

good for you! so is it going to be the ASUS TOP 680?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 5:03:22 AM

verbalizer said:
but check this scenario out....

you paying in cash or credit card.?
catching a 680 on sale and then with credit card your basically financing it out.
what's a few more payments if that's the case..

and everyone is screaming about overclock the GTX 670 and it matches the GTX 680...
OK, well that's a reference comparison to the GTX 680.
so when you actually get the GTX 680 and then overclock it......
the gap between the GTX 680 and GTX 670 will be there and widen...

funny how nobody mentions that...


jeff1304 said:
im upper end of credit taken a lot of hard work since I got out of high school.


:heink: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 5:07:07 AM

yeah seemed suspect but whatever!>!>!>!>? :bounce:  oh well, have fun OP

verbz you are up late there playa! I know im 3 hrs behind you and its 10
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 5:20:31 AM

verbalizer said:
:heink: 
:heink:  Didn't catch that until now :pt1cable:  oh well doesn't matter i guess :lol: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 5:22:00 AM

jjb8675309 said:
yeah seemed suspect but whatever!>!>!>!>? :bounce:  oh well, have fun OP

verbz you are up late there playa! I know im 3 hrs behind you and its 10

confused on BA but oh well.
could have sworn I just spelled that out in the beginning..
n00bies.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 5:25:09 AM

^yeah I also had many wasted replies oh well some people dont know good value when they see it, lol just kidding, actually im not!>? :bounce: 
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 9, 2012 5:26:18 AM

verbalizer said:
confused on BA but oh well.
could have sworn I just spelled that out in the beginning..
n00bies.
Yeah seems i stole one my bad :( 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 5:27:17 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Yeah seems i stole one my bad :( 

we cool..
2 more and I hit GOLD..
m
0
l
!