Power Supply wont turn on when connected to Motherboard

mattdonnelly

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm in process of building my first rig and have everything assembled but can't get the PSU to supply power. I tried the paper-clip test and everything seemed to be working fine, but when I plug it in to the motherboard nothing happens. At this point, I'm kind of freaking out because I fear that the motherboard is broken. What I also considered might be causing it is, I bought all the parts from hardwareversand.de so, the plug for the power supply was one with 2 circular pins which wont work over here (Ireland). However, I've bought another cable which I was told would work, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Any help, would be enormously appreciated!

Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K S1155 3.4GHz 6MB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP
GPU - MSI Radeon HD 7950
Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Pro 4 S1155 Intel Z77 DDR6 ATX
Storage - Crucial 256GB M4 SATA SSD
Case - BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower
PSU - Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Optical Drive - LG GH24NS70
Wireless Adapter Card - TP LINK 150Mbit-WLAN-Lite-N-PCIe x1-Adapter

What do you mean by "nothing happens"? You plug it in and press the power button, right? No fans, nothing? Have you checked the power button is connected to the right pins on the mother board? Exchange it with the reset button to make sure it's not the switch.

mattdonnelly

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

Sorry, should have been more specific. The PSU's fan is supposed to start spinning and the inside is supposed to light up, but it doesn't do any of this, and as far as I can see, no power is being supplied to the motherboard. I'll try checking the pins

mattdonnelly

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

THAT WAS IT! Thank you so much! I can't believe it was something so simple