Analog vs Digital input

joesmoe

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
According to Tom's (as well as AnandTech and others), many Flat Panel displays that have both Digital and Analog connections actually display more colors and better color matching when using their analog connection. Why? That makes absolutely no sense to me. For an analog signal, the native digital signal is converted into analog, sent over the 15-pin analog cable, and then the LCD monitor has to convert this signal back to digital in order to display it. For a digital signal, the native digital signal is piped in directly and used to display on the LCD without any conversions at all. Given this, WHY would an analog input provide more color possibilities and better color matching? It seems like the analog signal should be more prone to color mismatch and not offer any more color possibilities than a digital signal. Does anyone know why the analog signal would be better?

G

On my opinion, D-Sub is sometimes better just because the manufacturers cut some options when you are in DVI. By the way, I remember having noticed it only for teh CML174SXW.

But as you say, DVI should always be better.

About the CML174SXW, we wrote: "If connected to a PC through its DVI connector, several options, including contrast and color temperature, are no longer available. As a result, the screen displays more shades when it is used in analog mode (provided the display parameters are adjusted correctly) than in DVI mode".