13a or a 5a?

TheBusinessMen

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hello,

I have a 500 watt Corsair psu. It came with a 13a fuse in the kettle lead should i replace it with a 5a to be safe. Will 5a be enough for it?

Thanks

You need to replace it with the proper fuse. Unless you have an Electrical Engineering degree and are savvy with SMPSs why would you think you could re-engineer a commercial unit with much r&d and testing?
-Bruce

Contrary opinion based on 50 years of electronics experience - 5 amp.

That 13 amp fuse is probably a "standard" size that came with the power cord before Corsair bought it from their supplier.

13 amps * 220 volts is a little over 6500 watts assuming the fuse blows at exactly 13 amps. I bought an Ikea floor lamp with the same 13 amp fuse for a socket rated at 250 watts. People, this does not pass the "Does this make sense?" test.

Going down to a lower capacity fuse is always safe. If this were my PSU, I would use a 5 or 6 amp fuse

jsc - I have to disagree - fuses are meant to handle inrush and sudden higher loads not just average. Always safe is a blanket statement I'm not comfortable with. When a fuse blows there is the possibility of arcing (inside the fuse) which may generate all kinds of nasty waveforms that could pass through the psu into your computer. We converted many computer power supplies to use here in our Electrical Engineering labs and had many semiconductor failures due to people switching the supplies on & off. If the supplies were cycled before they came down to 0v voltage spikes were passed through the 5v supply and into the circuits the students were testing - resulting in many microcontroller failures. I don't have 50 years experience -(just 30 as an Electrical Eng Technologist) but I stand by my answer of replace it with the correct part.
-Bruce

Diamond-HP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Going to resurrect this thread as I have the same question and I'm not sure if it was actually answered here Moose and JSC seem to be agreeing but Moose said he "disagreed"??

My Corsair 600M comes with a 13A fuse, I'm ordering a right angled cable and was wondering about the correct fuse as I'm sure it won't be a 13A so I was going to replace it but now I'm seeing I may have been using a high fuse all along (although I've never had a problem).

Anyone got a conclusion here?

1) Carry on using the 13A fuse Corsair supplied or 2) change the fuse for a lower one?

TheBusinessMen

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Use the 13a pal

Diamond-HP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

Could you explain why?

There's obviously a lot of standard reasons not to use it when it comes to normal electrical's so if there is a technical reason behind your answer I'd like to know.