Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hello,

I've always been a hardcore PC gamer, but recently I've moved to the UAE and am now looking to buy a new Gaming PC or Gaming Laptop.

I bought an Xbox 360 (my first console ever) to play Borderlands 2, but it just doesn't match up to the FPS experience I get from a PC (only my opinion).

I'm gonna be here for at least 2 years and then move back to my home country, that's why I thought maybe a gaming laptop and someone told me that the gaming laptops these days closely match the gaming PC's and are not that much more expensive than they were a couple of years ago. Is this true? Or do the PC still outmatch the notebook in a "bang-for-buck" scenario (by some margin).

I'm looking for a "bang-for-buck" PC/Laptop. Money is not an issue, i just don't wanna waste it.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: None

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming -> Web Browsing -> Movies -> Spreadsheets -> Reading E-Mail

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: New PC

Do you need to buy OS: No

Parts Preferences: Intel, that's all.

Overclocking: I wouldn't count on it.

SLI or Crossfire: Only if "bang-for-buck"

Your Monitor Resolution: Which is recommended.

Additional Comments: None, so far.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Can't get use to FPS on Xbox 360.

Thanks in advance. :)

PS: I have a question, are the laptop components just as good as PC components. Example, GTX 680 for PC vs GTX 680 for Laptop??

Any paticular website I can refer to? No point me pointing to components on Newegg that aren't available or ridiculously expensive in the Emirates.

CPU: Intel i5-3570k

Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz CL9 1.5v, Major brand like Corsair or G.Skill

GPU: Depends on how much you are willing to spend. From a good manufacturer such as Sapphire, MSI, Gigabyte or ASUS.
~$200: HD7850
~$300: HD7950 or 660Ti depending on the games you play (the 7950 is better overall, but the 660Ti excels in some popular games like BF3)
~$400: GTX670
~$450: HD7970 Ghz edition

PSU: 650W, good brand like Corsair, Seasonic, XFX.

Case: Depends on what you like. The Coolermaster HAF series and any Corsair case will do.

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

I agree with the above completely. It's even a pretty good build.

Antec has some okay cheap cases too.

Will want an after market CPU HSF as well.

Gaming Laptops:
If I put together a $1000 gaming PC, I'd probably have to get the very best $3000 laptop to match it for gaming performance. It would also be heavy and I'm not sure about noise.

At the LOW end of things a laptop can match a desktop for performance, but once you get above $500 the value rapidly switches to a properly built gaming rig.

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I'm not aware of any websites like Newegg in the UAE as I've not been here for long. We don't have taxes in the UAE so prices will be more or less the same as in the US.

CPU: You would go for an i5 above an i7?

GPU: If a GTX 670 ($400) will last twice as long with twice the performance of a HD7850 ($200) then I'll gladly buy that. This is strictly a "bang-for-buck" build.

Case: I don't really care, the cheapest one would be fine, unless the components will suffer.

HDD: Isn't 1TB perhaps too small?

SSD: I'm not sure what they are used for when it comes to gaming.

Also another thing I forgot to mention. Are there any new components soon to be released that is worth waiting for?

An i7's Hyperthreading isn't utilized in games, which rarely use more than 2-3 threads. So getting an i7 for gaming isnt worth the extra cost.

Because the 670 costs double the 7850 doesn't mean it has double the performance. The higher up the performance ladder you go, the more it costs to go up a rung.
Thats why a 3930k costs ~$600 and a 3930X is ~$1000 despite the 3% performance difference.
That being said, a GTX670 will max out any game you could throw at it at a 1080p resolution. How "future-proof" it is we cant really say.

A decent case will last a couple of builds, so getting a good one is important. My mid-tower of choice is the HAF-XM. Costs around $120 in the US and is a very good case.

Depends, do you need more than 1TB? If you need more just buy more.

I'l assume you know what an SSD is and their benefits.
Direct benefits to gaming is pretty small, there wont be any noticeable FPS difference. Load times would be reduced though, which is much appreciated in games such as Skyrim or Fallout. An SSD is more useful for the OS and common programs, thats where the added speed is made most apparent.

The Radeon HD8000 series graphics cards are rumored to release around December. If leaked spec sheets for the 8800 series (mid-range cards) are accurate, it will be very competitively priced.

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Mmm, so it seems the GPU will be the biggest choice. So, what you are saying is that you should use the SSD as your primary drive which will cause the OS and programs to start faster after a boot-up.

The ATI 8 Series GPU might be worth the wait.

Also, I didn't know the gaming laptop price jumps are that high.

This is very insightful info, thank you very much!

Yep. Installing Windows and your commonly used programs to the SSD leads to very fast booting and will make the machine feel much quicker.
Heres a good comparison video. And this is somewhat old (in the tech world, its only 2yrs old), SSD's have only gotten faster and cheaper since then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y

Basically, use the SSD for the OS and important programs, then the HDD for your mass storage needs. Though if you do this you will have to somewhat vigilant as to where games, programs install to, and where things like web browsers download to. Otherwise you will find your SSD filling up very quickly.

TRENDING THREADS