Graphic card massive overheat!!

sinrukai

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
So my dads graphic card is the Nvidia 9600 GSO, kinda dated i know but..Anyways, typically he hasn't had any problems with over heating in the year or so hes had it, it would idle around 50'C and while in game pretty much never go over 80'C. Although lately there has been huge problems with overheating and going over 100'C causing massive slow down in games. At first i thought it was because of the card having a faulty fan so i checked it out, it was dusty but seemed to run ok so i cleaned it. Then as we plugged everything back in, the monitor would not start, but remained black and made a clicking noise which i found out meant it was about to die and it made that noise to prevent it from fully dying on start up. I started to think the overheating of the graphic card may or may not have led it into making the monitor fry and die. So yesterday we replaced it with a new 23" monitor and all seemed fine.

Today is when things start to get bad and where my question comes in. When my dad was playing bad company 2, not even for long maybe for 20 or 30 minutes he got off, then switched and played FEAR 2 for about 3 minutes. After about 3 minutes of that game the massive slow down occurred again so i immediately quit the game and checked the temperature on MSI Afterburner and it was, get ready for this, a WHOPPING 146'C, yes i know that's insane i didn't think reaching that temperature was even possible, I thought any computer reaching over 90 or 100 would auto shut down to keep it from frying like my computer does. But then suddenly it shut down on its own, and wont start up. So now with the computer not even starting up, we know the monitor is fine but we aren't sure if the whole computer fried or if it was just the graphic card, CPU or motherboard that fried. My dad for some reason thinks what caused it was just from the FEAR 2 game for some reason while i believe it was the progressive heat brought on by both games being played on a computer/graphic card which may have had something wrong already. So does it sound like we might need a whole new computer? or just components?

if the video card fried it can fry in a way that the mb wont be able to post or give cmos beep codes.to see if the mb is ok pull the video card and try and start the pc. you should get a string of beepes in a pattern if the mb is posting. also some mb have onboard video. see if your dad pc had onboard video. if the cpu overheated too you may have to use the clear the cmos jumper to reset the mb and cpu. one thing that should have happened is at a set point in the bios or the cpu before they hit killer temps a heat waring should have flashing on screen or the pc should have shut down on it own to save itself. depends on what failed..your dad may be the right time to make a new build for him that beefer then the older pre built if he into gaming.
it not the games that kill older pc is that with pre builts to hit there cheap set point they use low end parts. low end parts are ok for day to day use but when you stress them out...they fail. gaming pc or home built your using better parts and better cooling so that under load the pc temps dont get hot..the temps will go up but they wont get into parts killing temps.
if your dad and your slef go into the new pc route buy a good power supply and over size it a little and use good cpu cooling and a good gaming case with cooling. having a case with good airflow (push pull) and good cpu fan will keep both the cpu and gpu cool.

@ Sinruka: Full specs, please.
Smorizio makes sense, even if the system lacks onboard graphics, with the 9600 fully removed and disconnected the system should, at least, give you some beeps. Make a note of them and Google the results-you'll need to know the exact motherboard make and model because the codes are not wholly standardised.
It's also possible the damaged graphics card has caused the PSU to trip out, it should reset itself when you disconnect the power lead to remove the graphics card, but leave it disconnected for 10 minuets or so.

TRENDING THREADS