Desktop Icons are STUCK

Ok - This seems like a bug. I have been moving and rearranging my desktop
icons for years. This week, they are all stuck. They won't move. I right
clicked and tried EVERY combination of gird, auto align, etc... to no avail!
Has anyone else got this problem? My computer auto updates and I wonder if I
got some broken code from Windows XP. I've been researching and everyone
that has this problem is always told the obvious Right Click solutions....
please, I'm waaay beyond that as a solution. Just wanted to know if anyone
else had this problem? I even tried a registy update someone had on their
website and it made them all rearrange the left side of the screen. They
still won't move if I try to drag them. HELP ANYONE!!!!
3 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons stuck

    Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |
    UNCheck everything except Show Desktop Icons

    What the settings do.

    Name
    [[Arrange icons in alphabetical order by the icon name. ]]

    Size
    [[Arrange icons in order of file size. If the icon is a shortcut to a
    program, the size refers to the size of the shortcut file. ]]

    Type
    [[Arrange icons in order of type. For example, if you have shortcuts to
    several PowerPoint presentations on your desktop, these will be arranged
    next to each other. ]]

    Modified
    [[Arrange icons in the order that the shortcut was last modified. ]]

    Show in groups
    [[Show in Groups allows you to group your files by any detail of the file,
    such as name, size, type, or date modified. ]]

    AutoArrange
    [[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]

    Align to Grid
    Snap icons into place as designated by an invisible grid on
    your screen. The grid keeps the icons aligned with each other. ]]

    Show Desktop Icons
    [[Icons Hide or show all desktop icons. When this command is checked,
    desktop icons are displayed on your desktop. ]]

    Lock Web Items on Desktop
    [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that you have placed on
    your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box to
    lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
    move Web content.]]

    If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
    Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.

    Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard
    [[The Desktop Cleanup Wizard displays a list of the desktop icons that have
    not been used for 60 days or more, enabling you to remove those icons that
    you don't want on your desktop. You can retrieve icons you have removed by
    opening the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder on your desktop. ]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D72809F6-7E0A-49E4-A97A-3ACA0EEDDCEF@microsoft.com,
    video clips <videoclips@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Ok - This seems like a bug. I have been moving and rearranging my desktop
    > icons for years. This week, they are all stuck. They won't move. I right
    > clicked and tried EVERY combination of gird, auto align, etc... to no
    > avail! Has anyone else got this problem? My computer auto updates and I
    > wonder if I got some broken code from Windows XP. I've been researching
    > and everyone that has this problem is always told the obvious Right Click
    > solutions.... please, I'm waaay beyond that as a solution. Just wanted to
    > know if anyone else had this problem? I even tried a registy update
    > someone had on their website and it made them all rearrange the left side
    > of the screen. They still won't move if I try to drag them. HELP
    > ANYONE!!!!

    Thank you for the message. The icons will NOT move. I've tried
    everything...and if it helps prove that I'm not an idiot, I have BS in
    Computer Science and 17 years experience in IT. This has to be a bug. I
    believe my computer has the latest MS fixes....SOOOOO what now? I really
    want to get these ICONS arranged as I work from my computer and everything
    links to different jobs and products that I use.
    Is there anything I can tell you about my system or settings that might help
    you?
    I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. I have your basic desktop setup.
    Thanks for all your help.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > In news:D72809F6-7E0A-49E4-A97A-3ACA0EEDDCEF@microsoft.com,
    > video clips <videoclips@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Ok - This seems like a bug. I have been moving and rearranging my desktop
    > > icons for years. This week, they are all stuck. They won't move. I right
    > > clicked and tried EVERY combination of gird, auto align, etc... to no
    > > avail! Has anyone else got this problem? My computer auto updates and I
    > > wonder if I got some broken code from Windows XP. I've been researching
    > > and everyone that has this problem is always told the obvious Right Click
    > > solutions.... please, I'm waaay beyond that as a solution. Just wanted to
    > > know if anyone else had this problem? I even tried a registy update
    > > someone had on their website and it made them all rearrange the left side
    > > of the screen. They still won't move if I try to drag them. HELP

    Did you try a system restore to a point before you experienced this problem?

Configuration Desktop Icons Windows XP