StandOffs help!

sutta11

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
What materials can be used as standoffs for the chassis?

Please avoid generic terms like insulator etc..

Solution
Many cases will come with up to 10 standoffs installed, when the motherboard only has 5,6 or 8 mounts. Carefully line up the holes in the motherboard with the case, and remove any extra standoffs. An extra one may be touching somehting and shorting.

Some times a defective case USB plug or power, or reset button will prevent the board from turning on. After you check and remove extra standoffs, try to power up with out any of the case connectors. Power up the board with the button on it, or by touching the power button pins with a screw driver.

sutta11

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Thanks for that info.But can I use the cardboard specifically the package in which the motherboard comes?

sutta11

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
hmmm...but is it a good idea to use cardboard sheet to mount the motherboard permanently???

Just wanted to ask you whether the cardboard sheet will burn off or not...

sutta11

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Well actually the problem is that when I mount the motherboard on the chassis plate, it shorts and hence the motherboard wont turn on.But when I mount it on the cardboard it works.So I was thinking how to combine these two(motheboard and cardboard sheet) to avoid leakage of current.I dont have brass standoffs!!

bucknutty

Distinguished
What case is it? Generally you want propper metal standoffs so the motherboard is grounded to the case. This will help prevent damage from static, or when you plug in connectors like USB.

I would NOT simply mount the motherboard on a sheet of cardboard. It will work but the bottom of the board needs to breath and you may have overheating issues, the card board may wear down in time and cause a major short. If you short the back of a PCI-e connectort or the back of the main power connector, or the 8 pin power connector you have a high chance of damaging the board, psu and pci-e card.

I would try to order the correct stand offs from the case manufacturer. If you cant get the correct stand offs, your best bet is to go to homedepot or lowes and get a box of tiny washers that are just large enough for the monting screws to fit through. Then stack them up like 5 washers deep to get the correct hight to line up with the case i/o plate. You may also need longer screws if you do this.

Best bet is to bread board the computer, that is leave it set up flat on a table with no case. That way you can use it while you try to solve your mounting challenge.

sutta11

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Thanks for the prompt reply.I just noticed that my motherboard actually has brass standoffs.I am confused how come after mounting it on the chassis it does not turn on??? What could possibly go wrong here???

Fixing directly with a sheet of card will damage components and screwing down tight enough to hold the board will allow the power to short through the card anyway I would think.
There is no harm in leaving the parts set up on top of the box until you can get the standoffs. Just be carefull around it with things like your hands and any drinks and food ;)

Its how reviewers used to set up rigs all the time before skeleton cases came about.

Mactronix :)

bucknutty

Distinguished
Many cases will come with up to 10 standoffs installed, when the motherboard only has 5,6 or 8 mounts. Carefully line up the holes in the motherboard with the case, and remove any extra standoffs. An extra one may be touching somehting and shorting.

Some times a defective case USB plug or power, or reset button will prevent the board from turning on. After you check and remove extra standoffs, try to power up with out any of the case connectors. Power up the board with the button on it, or by touching the power button pins with a screw driver.

Solution