lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I have two 560ti's and a 310. Could I run the 560ti's in sli and use the 310 as a physX card? I think you could previously. Also if I can will it even help performance? the 310 might be so weak that it hinders performance.

verbalizer

Distinguished
the GT 310 will bottleneck the rest of the system, it is too weak to add-in and work as a bonus..
you might even get less frames because of it.

keep your SLi and make sure PhysX is set top AUTO.
stay like that until time to upgrade the SLi's...

what's the purpose anyways.?
when not playing a PhysX game (I know that Borderland's 2 and a few others will use PhysX) or benching PhysX software
then what will you be doing,,,,,, exactly, nothing.
it's a waste even if you have a better set of cards. SLi is better.

4745454b

Titan
I'm not sure the 310(?) has enough shaders and onboard memory to allow physx. You need at least 24 or 32 shaders, and 256MBs of real memory on the card if my memory serves. As mentioned however that card is so slow compared to the other cards that they will probably spend to much time waiting for the 310 to provide the PhysX info that you'll be faster without it. I too would ignore it.

with such setup you don't need dedicated physx card. from my personal experience my GTX460 are good enough to handle in game physx (batman arkahm asylum; physx sets to max) without the aid of dedicated physx hardware. most of the time i was able to maintain 60fps. so far i've only taken huge hit in performance (my frame rates was cut into half) when playing in the scarecrow level because there were tons of physic simulation being calculated on the scene. but i only play at 1600x900 res :p

verbalizer

Distinguished

it doesn't matter either, niether one of those cards will ADD to your system.
those too will bottleneck.

and just for the record.
for SLi GTX 560 Ti's you'll need something like a 9800GT/GTS 250 or better for any performance boost.
but by adding that then you deal with power consumption and heat...
I hope you realize all this.

I guess if you really wanted to you could, but even a single 560Ti can manage Physx much better by itself. Usually you only use a dedicated card if you have an ATi card, like me, or do not have a powerful enough single card.

Even then it has issues. It took me awhile to figure it out with my ATi card (I was using the wrong mods). Now that its working, the card decided it wanted to overheat.

Your two cards are like two horses. Add the 310, and its like 2 horses trying to pull a really fat dude, in his car, that has no wheels.

verbalizer

Distinguished

+1000

funny thing is that I went ahead and listed my N560GTX-Ti HAWKS on eBay for $190 each and sold one of them already..
that's enough for me (if I don't sell both) to get me another GTX 580 off eBay if I add a few dollars outta pocket.
so I'm looking at EVGA GTX 580 SuperClocked in SLi @ x16/x16 for my triple screen gamer unit (3840 x 1024)
and the single now N560GTX-TI HAWK will be my daily usage unit (1080p)..