Thermaltake PSU enough fot nVidia GTX 650 Ti?

anmattos

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,

I currently have a Thermaltake PSU model W0116RU Toughpower 750W. This PSU have 4 12v rails with 18A rating each, with a maximum simultaneus power of 60A.

I currently have an eVGA GTX 275 GPU, which the required power is 20A on the 12v rail, and it has 2 PCI power connectors attached to it. This GPU runs perfectly.

However, now I want to upgrade the GPU and I´m worried that this 18A rating for each 12v rail might no be enough, although I`m quite sure that the overall PSU supplied power is more than enough for the rig.

I want to buy the eVGA nVidia GTX 650 Ti: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3651-KR

The specs say that it requires a 20A 12v rail, and it has only 1 PCI power connector.

I would even prefer to buy the GTX 660 instead: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2660-KR

But this one requires a 24A 12v rail and has only 1 PCI power connector as well.

As far as I read, my current card consumes more overall power than those 2 I´m considering buying. But the 2 new cards listed above requires more current per rail and have only 1 PCI connector. I´m afraid that this situation may overload the separate rails and disable the one being used during operation, although I know that the power for all the 4 rails comes from the same source.

So, my question is: this PSU would work with the GTX 550 Ti and or the GTX 660?

Best regards,

Solution
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The GeForce GTX 650 Ti will draw less than 7 Amps from the +12V rail(s) even when running GPU stress testing.

The GeForce GTX 650 Ti does not support SLI mode.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the...

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I would have thought you would be fine. The GTX 660 has a max 140W draw, which divided by 12V gives a little under 12A requirement (and the PCIe slot supplies half of that).

Your PSU would seem to have plenty of Amps to spare:)

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The GeForce GTX 650 Ti will draw less than 7 Amps from the +12V rail(s) even when running GPU stress testing.

The GeForce GTX 650 Ti does not support SLI mode.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Cable Management (W0116), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 60 Amps and with two 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors[/color], is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card.

You have nothing to worry about. You can run your system with a GeForce GTX 690 using that power supply unit if you wanted to.

Solution

anmattos

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Wow! Thank you very much for your response! I this case I will even consider buying the GTX 660, that´s the one I really want to, but was afraid about the power needed, since it says that needs 24A in the 12v rail.

I was really afraid that this specific PSU had some kind of protection on each single 12v rail, that would disable it in case you draw more than 18A, and since the GPU spec was talking about 24A, I was really worried.

I realize that now Themaltake's PSU are of a single rail design (12vin1). I think they realized that this division in multiple rails is not needed.

Best regards,

treblarefils

Honorable
May 27, 2013
LOL yeah im running 2 GTX 660s in SLI off of the same crappy power supply but mine is an 850 watt works fine until I overclock the graphics cards but I think my i7 920 at 4ghz is drawing a lot of power also. But it runs perfectly fine with my 4gz overclock on an i7 920 and SLI GTX 660.

treblarefils

Honorable
May 27, 2013
LOL yeah im running 2 GTX 660s in SLI off of the same crappy power supply but mine is an 850 watt works fine until I overclock the graphics cards but I think my i7 920 at 4ghz is drawing a lot of power also. But it runs perfectly fine with my 4gz overclock on an i7 920 and SLI GTX 660.