Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My PSU Fan Is Spinning Really Really Loudly

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2013 1:14:43 PM

Well I believe it's the PSU fan, I would take out the graphics card and see if it's that but the PC won't boot (onboard graphics are shot)

So it started randomly this morning, I downloaded Battlefield 3, and as soon as I finished installing it, the fan just went crazy, it got really damn loud, then it stopped, I started BF 3 and the fan sounded like something was about to explode. So I initiated operation clean. I shut down, picked out the fan, got my can air, my thermal paste and went to work. Cleaned out all dust, reapplied my thermal paste, booted.

No loud whirring, I opened google chrome, still nothing, clicked a picture to see something and the whirring started again. This time more constant, like something is overheating, the thermal paste is applied, the fan is dust free, any idea?

Oh for the record, I took a look at my HDD and it was running at 100% I know sometimes when it does that, the fans get really loud, but I wasn't doing anythign that would cause it to use the full 100% and it's worrisome.

So... my cry for help, once more to the brave souls of Tom's Hardware, help me. Help a fellow tech. Well I'm on the lower scale of the tech realm, but really. I'd appreciate any help :)  PC is picked apart and laying on the bed, awaiting instructions.
a c 190 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 1:43:27 PM

Your PSU (Power Supply Unit) fan or your CPU fan? If you are using an Intel® stock HSF (heatsink/fan) reach in and check to make sure each of the twist clips are locked. See if you can pull any of them straight up. If you can than the HSF wasnt seated well and you need to re-seat.
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:49:30 PM

Nope it isn't want of this, I think I've got an older model. I've got the inspirion 530 - Dell.

The fan has to be screwed in, it's the CPU fan. That's what I mean, I put my ear close to the graphics card fan, and it isn't that, it's the CPU fan.

Also, quick question I now noticed. I applied some thermal paste, "masscool" and it is really, really watery, I can't recall ever having watery thermal paste, so I'm wondering if maybe the CPU is heating up too quickly?
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 4:07:38 PM

Tell you what go download HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and see where your temperatures are. With the Intel® Pentium® E2160 I would expect to see idle temperatures around 35°C to low 40°C and load temperatures at the most around 73°C. If you are running more than this you are going to want to remove the HSF and clean it and than replace all the thermal paste.
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:09:52 PM

Hey thanks... I did that a couple minutes ago, put back up the PC, it's come on, but it's stuck at the Dell Screen and my keyboard lights don't come up. Not sure why.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 12, 2013 6:15:40 PM

sorry raemun, sounds like you fried the MOBO or broke your processor.

Where did you do this cleaning and re-applying thermal paste? On the carpet, wearing a wool sweater?

Electo-static shock is very easy to do. When I do work on internal components I do it on tile floors with a t-shirt and a static bracelet. All it takes is a minor shock to blow your motherboard.

Before we freak out, did you try restarting the computer a few times? Did you get the same result? Did you check the pin's to see if you got thermal paste on them or maybe worse, bent one? How much thermal paste did you apply? A dab will do it, too much and it will cause problems, although you should still be able to boot the computer.

Finally, did you check to see if maybe it was your hard drive making all that noise? Hard drives sound like fans when they are having bearing issues. But you sounded sure that it was the CPU. I use a stethoscope to diagnose noises because sometimes it is hard to find the source.
February 12, 2013 6:20:19 PM

Well, again... Let's see if I can update haha. I'm actually posting this from my PC now.

I swapped out my CMOS battery with a spare I had around here, that fixed the keyboard thing, my PC booted, after some diskette failure error, which I forgot to correct by clarifying I have no disk drive.

Now the PC runs, normally. I changed the type of thermal paste I was using, the last set was "masscool" it was really watery - note I will never buy it again - I used something named "Stars" it's white, in a little see through packet. That seemed a bit more solid.

Now I'm not hearing that ungodly loud sound. However, I tried to run Battlefield 3, and it came right back. Not as bad, but it still sounds like something is about to explode. I closed Battlefield and opened Assassin's Creed 3, no problem, no noise issue, fine.

So I'm not sure... what's happening now. Being patient I guess?
m
l
February 25, 2013 4:01:44 PM

Best answer selected by raemun.
m
l
!