Nov 2, 2010
My current setup:

i5 2500k
2 x radeon 1gb 6850's
750W antec TP PSU
8 gigs ram
asrock extreme4 p67 motherboard
catleap q270 27" 1440p monitor

Since I've been gaming at 1440p, I notice a slight framerate dip every once in awhile and I would like that to go away. I think it's mostly because I have 1GB cards.

Right now, I have a cable that I connect to my other room's entertainment system, I've been thinking about making a virtual machine for that room, but I would like my desktop to remain functional for gaming. What I've got right now is ok, but I would like the other room to have control of the desktop and still be able to play 1080p videos.

How much power do I need for what I do? Can I run a dedicated video card for a virtual machine?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
wait im sorry im confused what are you asking?

are you asking what you should get to upgrad, so a better garphics card?

also from what i think i hear the 750w should be fine(i dont understand what your asking though please clarify)

I don't see the point in having vmware just to play a movie. If this is some attempt to separate the audio, the same thing can be done without a virtual os. The virtual os actually does nothing more than the host os can do. You cannot run a dedicated card for a virtual os.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

I want the screen in the living room to be its own computer that can play movies and stuff for the other people in the house while i'm still doing whatever i want to do (like gaming) on my pc.

I have a $400 budget. I'm thinking about two 7870's or a 7970.