Your question
Closed

About Graphic Cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2012 6:49:26 AM

hi,

For laptops....
i dunno anything about graphic cards..
can u plz tell me hw to judge wtz a good graphic card?
apart from memory i can't say anything about dem..
AMD? nvidia? GeForce? which one"s d best ?
and wt do dey mean by numbers i.e. nvidia (GT 640M LE) and all?

More about : graphic cards

August 9, 2012 8:21:44 AM

well my advice is not to go for the best and the most expensive, if you have a card that can provide u the performance for the daily activities you do, stick to that one.
Cards update way too fast, prices change, new version pop up constantly.
Best card depends on what u play, and what u have in ur pc. If you stick to AMD/ Nvidia i guess you cant go too wrong there. The numbers for me are just version names, like editions. Geforce is just an edition of Nvidia lets say. Those ofc mean something, but is not like u have to absolutely know everything about it to know what is best.

First of all I would look at the memory. Personally im happy at 1G, I dont think you ever use 2G or more. Then I look at the Core and memory clock speed with memory interface. Here the higher the better. Best is ofc that you can look up some benchmark comparisons online to get real facts on what does better for what kind of application. Finally make sure you pc can support the card, in cooling, power supply and motherboard compatibility. Im not an expert but that's the basis I guess.

Hope this helps.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2012 8:44:30 AM

bobby7133 said:
hi,

For laptops....
i dunno anything about graphic cards..
can u plz tell me hw to judge wtz a good graphic card?
apart from memory i can't say anything about dem..
AMD? nvidia? GeForce? which one"s d best ?
and wt do dey mean by numbers i.e. nvidia (GT 640M LE) and all?

Most likely you cant swap out the vid card in your laptop. And if youd like more people to help, should type this out like it isnt a text message.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2012 8:56:58 AM

Nvidia GeForce (Class, generation, hierarchy, type, edition)

Class: GTX (gaming), GTS (entry gaming), GT (media), none (media)
Generation: 6,5,4,3,2,1 (6 is current)
Hierarchy: high end 95, 90, 85, 80, 75, 70, 65, 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 05 low end
Type: none (desktop), m (laptop)
Edition: none, OEM, 448 (special edition), Ti (higher), SE (lower), LE (lower)

AMD (old ATI) Radeon HD (Generation, super-hierarchy, sub-hierarchy, type, edition)

Generation: 7,6,5,4,3,2 (7 is current)
Super-hierarchy: high end 9,8,7,6,5,4,3 low end
Sub-hierarchy: high end 90,70,50,30,10 low end (super-hierarchy takes priority over sub-hierarchy, Radeon HD 2XXX don't use sub hierarchy and are all 00, apart from 2350)
Edition: none, X2 (2 GPU die on 1 card CF for some model), Eyefinity Edition (special edition), GHz Edition (AMD reference overclock), XT (higher)

The naming convention can be traced back for even older model, but I doubt I need to go further. It would be already difficult to buy new laptop with GeForce 4XXm or ATI/AMD 5XXXm and older series GPU in them. Performance comparison based on number indicated by hierarchy is only valid for comparing card of same generation. This guide include most naming convention but there are a few not included because of their oddity (e.g. 550v, 560v). IGP of APU not included in the list of normal AMD naming convention.
August 9, 2012 9:00:23 AM

Pyree said:
Nvidia (Class, generation, hierarchy, type, edition)

Class: GTX (gaming), GT (media), none (media)
Generation: 6,5,4,3,2 (6 is current)
Hierarchy: high end 95, 90, 85, 80, 75, 70, 65, 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 05 low end

AMD (Generation, super-hierarchy, sub-hierarchy, type, edition)

Sub-hierarchy: high end 90,70,50,30,10 low end (super-hierarchy takes priority over sub-hierarchy)
Edition: none, X2 (2 GPU die on 1 card CF for some model), XT (higher)

The naming convention can be traced back for even older model, but Performance comparison based on number indicated by hierarchy is only valid for comparing card of same generation. This guide include most naming convention but there are a few not included because of their oddity (e.g. 550v, 560v). IGP of APU not included in the list of normal AMD naming convention.

wow, cool explanation, i just know about this hahaha
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
August 9, 2012 9:24:10 AM

Well, edited my post and tried to put everything in but it doesn't work. The Pro and GT in Radeon HD 2XXX series just feels awkward to fit in as a rule since they are not appearing in recent AMD card.

By the way, it would be nice if there is a special edition card of the yet to release GTX660 named GTX666.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 4:08:31 PM

Pyree said:
Well, edited my post and tried to put everything in but it doesn't work. The Pro and GT in Radeon HD 2XXX series just feels awkward to fit in as a rule since they are not appearing in recent AMD card.

By the way, it would be nice if there is a special edition card of the yet to release GTX660 named GTX666.

:whistle: 
Score
August 9, 2012 4:38:48 PM

Best answer selected by bobby7133.
Score
August 9, 2012 4:41:56 PM

Pyree said:
Nvidia GeForce (Class, generation, hierarchy, type, edition)

Class: GTX (gaming), GTS (entry gaming), GT (media), none (media)
Generation: 6,5,4,3,2,1 (6 is current)

AMD (old ATI) Radeon HD (Generation, super-hierarchy, sub-hierarchy, type, edition)

Sub-hierarchy: high end 90,70,50,30,10 low end (super-hierarchy takes priority over sub-hierarchy, Radeon HD 2XXX don't use sub hierarchy and are all 00, apart from 2350)
Edition: none, X2 (2 GPU die on 1 card CF for some model), Eyefinity Edition (special edition), GHz Edition (AMD reference overclock), XT (higher)

The naming convention can be traced back for even older model, but I doubt I need to go further. It would be already difficult to buy new laptop with GeForce 4XXm or ATI/AMD 5XXXm and older series GPU in them. Performance comparison based on number indicated by hierarchy is only valid for comparing card of same generation. This guide include most naming convention but there are a few not included because of their oddity (e.g. 550v, 560v). IGP of APU not included in the list of normal AMD naming convention.

that enlightened me..
i feel like a comp geek...
thanks a lot.
Score
August 9, 2012 4:44:48 PM

vrumor said:
Most likely you cant swap out the vid card in your laptop. And if youd like more people to help, should type this out like it isnt a text message.

i'm for a new laptop....
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 28, 2012 8:41:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!